Rules for Birth in Morocco

Does anyone have any experience with giving birth in Morocco?

I am pregnant in Tetouan now and would like to know if your husband was allowed in the room with you when you gave birth? Also, were you able to have a natural birth or was a cesarean pushed onto you?

My OB/GYN does not speak English and when we asked if he performs natural births his response was "Insha Allah", but we are worried when the time comes it will not be the case.

One other question, how did you go about getting the nationality for the baby in Morocco? Was it an easy process?

Thank you very much for all of your information.

Best of luck,

About getting nationality for your child:
Are both you and your husband American?
     Because, if the 2 of you hold different nationality, is not an issue for your child to hold dual nationality to both Morocco and USA. It maybe possible even if you are both America, but Morocco may question you as to why you want this option for your child.

Having a birth certificate in registered in Morocco pretty much covers the Moroccan side. Copies of the ID for the parents will probably be asked for presentation (if it is foreign: get it translated). I believe this is true even if both of the parents aren't Moroccan. 
This birth certificate entitles your child to apply for a Moroccan Nationality card in the city the child was born.
Note:Having one parent who is Moroccan will also entitle the child to Nationality as well if for some reason the child was born elsewhere (this requires more forms, original foreign birth certificate, official translation of birth certificate, copies of ID card for Moroccan parent, copy of foreign ID and/or Moroccan resident card for foreign parent.
      ASSUME there are forms and documents needed by the government processor that are not discussed on any list (official or not) that you may encounter. Often in Morocco legal requirements for many things change. They are usually done without posted public disclosure.

As for the USA, you need to go to the American Consulate in Casablanca. Start with the website. There will probably be forms you need to fill out, and i am sure you can print out before your appointment. Take with you your child, the birth certificate of the child, an official translation of the birth certificate. You will swear and sign a legal statement regarding the birth of your child. The consulate will review the documents. Rearly do they require a DNA report, but I believe they are allowed to ask it if they believe  there appears any oddity to the application. Once the documents are filed, in  a few days, you will be issued a passport for your child as a foreign born American citizen. There will be a fee for the documents.  I think it might be less, but I would suggest you  assume it is the same as getting a new passport for an adult.

I am Sorry, but I do not know much about giving birth or what is or is not allowed than you know. But I will say that from my experience, the doctors here in Morocco don't really like to have the patient's family present/involved in most medical situations. You might get a doctor to agree to what you want before you go into labor, but in the end you may be given anesthesia and the father may be still be asked to leave the room (usually the hospital will stand behind the doctor's decisions). I had a doctor who wouldn't even do an ultrasound with my husband in the room.

Hi Hannah!  If you're on Facebook I would highly recommend that you search for the group, Positive Birth Morocco.   The ladies there are EXTREMELY helpful and will answer all your questions.  There's also a group called American and English Speaking Women in Morocco that is very friendly and helpful and have highly recommended the above mentioned group as well. I believe there's also a group for women living in Tanger but I'm not sure of the exact name (probably English Speaking Women in Tanger and Tetouan).  Anyway, both of the above groups have ladies that have been in your exact position and can offer some support and advice. 

Good luck and take care,

Thank you both so much for this information! Hopefully the nationality process will be easier than the marriage process was! I am a US citizen and my husband is Moroccan. I will continue my search for a doctor I can trust.

Thank you so much Meryem for you recommendations! I promptly included myself into the Facebook groups! Fantastic pages!

Questions and answers about formalities

Ask your question
Certificate of change of residence
By GrahamC
Getting married in Morocco
By Armand
Documents and Stamps (marriage stuff >_>)
By kintaro.oe

Expatriate health insurance in Morocco

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Morocco

Moving to Morocco

Find tips from professionals about moving to Morocco

Travel insurance in Morocco

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Morocco

Flights to Morocco

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Morocco