Close

Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Vietnam

Mac68 :

:sleep ..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Resist, Mac!      You may well be revealing your true Self..?     :o

Hmnn...   Ok, your interest levels?

Remember, the grass is much greener here...    ( Zip )     :whistle:

swibne :

3. The greenie environmental push is not as obvious and day to day street rubbish is prominent.

It is a communist country, civil activism is dangerous. Public gatherings are not permitted.
But the army of street sweepers at night take care of the day rubbish (Saigon). The few places I have seen trash cans, they are well used, so implementing more of those would be good.

swibne :

5. It's not that hot here .

Whoa, well I think September, October has been a lot cooler than last year, but March thru June gets at least Florida hot. And doesn't cool down at night for me to sleep w/o aircon. Doubt I will acclimate to that.  :(

gobot :

The few places I have seen trash cans, they are well used, so implementing more of those would be good.

Absolutely.  :top:  More trash cans is essential.  The same people who are sweeping could be emptying bins instead.  When we first moved in together, I told my wife that we needed a trash can in every room and her reply was that people would think that we were lazy.  Now that she is in the US and can see friends with wastebaskets in almost every room she has come around.  My language center had a tiny rubbish bin on every other floor, so of course the kids left soda bottles in the room after class.  It is simple human engineering.  Way more public bins would go a long way to cleaning up the urban environment.

Sorry I have to make one more important addition to this topic.( well for me it is) . One of our closest friends in Australia is Vietnamese. He was from Hoi An. (His dad worked for the US military 1969 ish to 1975. They were pushed down to Saigon and had to leave very quickly in 1975. The rest of his family remained in Vietnam. He was 9 when he had to leave and now has his successful restarant, wonderful wife and two young boys the same age as mine.
Stephen has not been back to Vietnam. He was over the moon when we told him we were going to work here, he encouraged us to eat street food, visit Hoi An, become involved in the cultural life of Saigon. He gave us excellent preconceptions of Saigon.
Now that we are living here for a while he is planning a trip to Vietnam, very emotional for him. He has not seen his brothers and sisters since 1975. We are also very much looking forward to seeing them.

(Swibne?)   What are you?   It's always good to read this;

"He gave us excellent preconceptions of Saigon."

..another reluctant Messiah..?  aka Richard Bach

Having my own peculiar particulars, I tend to be suspicious
of people who preach spirituality while flying biplanes. 

But he is correct: 'The bond that links your true family'
(in 'Illusions') That, and something about loving it
means you are already there with them.  ( Strikes me )

Cliches maybe, but good quotes.   Fly biplanes.

No misconceptions there...   ..especially in Viet Nam...

@ Gobot,
the 'Army of street sweepers take care of the rubbish'..?

Indeed they do, particularly in places like the 'Old Quarter'
of Ha Noi, but I also notice the footpaths scrubbed clean
(and) another 'Army' of (environmentalists?)  Nah.   

..just a lot of people collecting cardboard and plastics...
I have doubts that bins alone would be enough there
..is simply too much waste..?
The nightly ritual does a good job, and now I see small
(mechanical) street sweepers during the day.

I have noticed a big improvement since my arrival
(in many other areas as well) so I think the big picture
is moving towards a much better future here.

I doubt misconception there...      :shy

swibne :

Sorry I have to make one more important addition to this topic.( well for me it is) . One of our closest friends in Australia is Vietnamese. He was from Hoi An. (His dad worked for the US military 1969 ish to 1975. They were pushed down to Saigon and had to leave very quickly in 1975. The rest of his family remained in Vietnam. He was 9 when he had to leave and now has his successful restarant, wonderful wife and two young boys the same age as mine.
Stephen has not been back to Vietnam. He was over the moon when we told him we were going to work here, he encouraged us to eat street food, visit Hoi An, become involved in the cultural life of Saigon. He gave us excellent preconceptions of Saigon.
Now that we are living here for a while he is planning a trip to Vietnam, very emotional for him. He has not seen his brothers and sisters since 1975. We are also very much looking forward to seeing them.

Yes, this is a very important post. Far too many Viet Kieu don't realize the vast differance between the current government and society and the then oncoming Le Duan government and society that we fled in April 1975.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam