Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Vietnam

Not really a misconception, but something that many people seem to be unaware of is the utmost importance of ancestor "worship" in Vietnamese culture.

This leads to the high population levels due to the need to continue your ancestor's lineage, the gender imbalance, due to the preference for male offspring, and the abundance of single moms in need of a foreign husband.

In combination with the high population (15th highest in the world) and the limited land area (66th worldwide), much of which is mountainous jungle, means that urban areas are very densely packed with people almost to the point of being unliveable.

Of course, most of Asia is like that now.

Anywayz, if any expats living in Vietnam consider the locals their "enemy", they're certainly going to find themselves surrounded by "hostile forces".

I'm too young for the war, and in my experience (mostly down south), the vast majority of VNese have been helpful and polite.
Not really a misconception, but something that many people seem to be unaware of is the utmost importance of ancestor "worship" in Vietnamese culture.

This leads to the high population levels due to the need to continue your ancestor's lineage, the gender imbalance, due to the preference for male offspring, and the abundance of single moms in need of a foreign husband.

In combination with the high population (15th highest in the world) and the limited land area (66th worldwide), much of which is mountainous jungle, means that urban areas are very densely packed with people almost to the point of being unliveable.

Of course, most of Asia is like that now.

Anywayz, if any expats living in Vietnam consider the locals their "enemy", they're certainly going to find themselves surrounded by "hostile forces".

I'm too young for the war, and in my experience (mostly down south), the vast majority of VNese have been helpful and polite.
- @johnross23

As a two-tour Aussie veteran of the war, I quickly learned how courageous, capable, and ingenious the Viet people are. The Vietnamese have my utmost respect.

I have had the honor of meeting and being welcomed by many of those we fought. I have attended memorial services for the most highly decorated NVA regiment, who spent a lot of time challenging the Aussies. And at no time have I had anything but a welcoming smile.

The people I meet in the restaurants, bars, and on the street seem to have an uncanny understanding that I am a veteran of the war, and they have always been accommodating, polite, and friendly.

If you don't like the Viet people, feel threatened by them, or consider them hostile, pack your gear and get out!

- @johnross23

As a two-tour Aussie veteran of the war, I quickly learned how courageous, capable, and ingenious the Viet people are. The Vietnamese have my utmost respect.

I have had the honor of meeting and being welcomed by many of those we fought. I have attended memorial services for the most highly decorated NVA regiment, who spent a lot of time challenging the Aussies. And at no time have I had anything but a welcoming smile.

The people I meet in the restaurants, bars, and on the street seem to have an uncanny understanding that I am a veteran of the war, and they have always been accommodating, polite, and friendly.

If you don't like the Viet people, feel threatened by them, or consider them hostile, pack your gear and get out!
- @Safepeter

As I stated, I'm in agreement with you. My experience with the Vietnamese has been overall positive.  :)

This part of my post: "Anywayz, if any expats living in Vietnam consider the locals their "enemy", they're certainly going to find themselves surrounded by "hostile forces".

was in response to post #79 by OceanBeach, where he says:
"Sadly, I know some expats who are veterans (not just US military) living in Vietnam, taking advantage of a low cost of living and amazing geography, all the while making it clear that they hate the Vietnamese people and essentially consider them to be enemies."
with the point the same as yours: those with a negative attitude or disrespect for the locals shouldn't be here as they'll just be constantly coming into conflict with everyone around them.

I should have used the Quote function to make that clear.
Clarifying something...

Foreign military veterans who return to Vietnam even though they essentially hate Vietnam and her people are NOT necessarily themselves "bad people".

Just as PTSD causes the perpetuation of trauma related symptoms, so too does involvement in war perpetuate the necessary dehumanization of the "enemy", long after the conflict has ceased.

That's the moral injury of any war.

In any war, you can't get human beings to kill other human beings unless you convince your people that they are somehow superior while the enemy is inferior; you have more worth as a human while they are worthless.

That essential dehumanization of the enemy has been happening in every war in history.

Unless combatants are reprogrammed after war to appreciate and accept that their former enemies are equally human, then the dehumanizing of their former adversaries will continue, even if only on a subconscious level.
Clarifying something...

Foreign military veterans who return to Vietnam even though they essentially hate Vietnam and her people are NOT necessarily themselves "bad people".

Just as PTSD causes the perpetuation of trauma related symptoms, so too does involvement in war perpetuate the necessary dehumanization of the "enemy", long after the conflict has ceased.

In any war, you can't get human beings to kill other human beings unless you convince your people that they are somehow superior while the enemy is inferior; you have more worth as a human while they are worthless.

That essential dehumanization of the enemy has been happening in every war in history.

Unless combatants are reprogrammed after war to appreciate and accept that their former enemies are equally human, then the dehumanizing of their former adversaries will continue, even if only on a subconscious level.
- @OceanBeach92107

Some things I just dont get

1...........why would anyone in their right mind want to live in a country where they hate the people & the country?.....strange, seems like living in a nightmare if you ask me.

2.........why would anyone want to live in a country where some of the citizens of that country are still paying a hard price for the crap they left behind them unless it was to help clean that mess up & make amends for their own & their countries conduct & say sorry.

In all my 14+ years here I have only had 1 experience where a Vietnamese has showed any animosity to me & that was on a green bus traveling from HCMC to Trang Bang in  the year 2008 when a Vietnamese man was getting off at Cu Chi & gave me a slap on the back of the head & said something about me being an American ( I am from Scotland but in them days every guy looking like me was a "boy America" ) & the rest of the bus travellers gave him a right telling off!!     

Clarifying something...

- @OceanBeach92107

Some things I just dont get

1...........why would anyone in their right mind want to live in a country where they hate the people & the country?.....strange, seems like living in a nightmare if you ask me.

2.........why would anyone want to live in a country where some of the citizens of that country are still paying a hard price for the crap they left behind them unless it was to help clean that mess up & make amends for their own & their countries conduct & say sorry.
- @goodolboy
Your #1 example is someone who obviously isn't in their "right mind", and nightmare is a good description of what that person goes through until therapy and/or spiritual growth bring about healing.

Your #2 example may also be afflicted by the same nightmare mindset as #1.

People are simply not as clearly defined as you seem to imply they ought to be.

In the end, returning to Vietnam can be a key part of healing for some veterans, while some others come face-to-face with the need and the opportunity to heal but refuse to do so.
I just needed to let go of the misconception that the Vietnamese people are my enemy.

- @OceanBeach92107

A very common misconception of Americans is a corollary to this.

"Do Vietnamese people hate us?" How many times has someone whispered me that question, furtively with their head down, worried about being overheard. War guilt has been taught since the 70s. In fact, the subject "Vietnam" is defined by the war in the US. Open Google News news.google.com and search for Vietnam - almost all articles are war stories.

I told my wife that when an American* hears the word Vietnam, they first think of the war that ended 45 years ago. She was shocked as the war is just not on the minds of Vietnamese.

* At least those over 30, under 30s are generally ignorant about history, geography, cultures, English grammar.
I've tried replying to this thread? Keep erasing, trying again.

Living in the present is really all we have folks
ADDP
Mac

In America humor is essentially dead, except when aimed at working class whites. Good humor does need a target. In America, political correctness insists that only working class whites can be a target.

Utter nonsense.  You're basing that belief on your politics, I think.  Humor is alive and well in the US.
Uh Paulmsn,

I must agree, humor is in many, many places. We've just to open our eyes to see it, our ears to hear it, our hearts to feel it, and then chuckles abound, soaring at times into belly laughs and sometimes tears of joy. Maybe I've referenced this before, but if so, check out George Carlin's stand up about war, to reference in his perspective (Youtube). Inappropriate maybe, but as a reference only here.
Mac
This quote has been deleted.
GDay from a new member, Aussie, currently in Austria (no kangaroos in AUSTRIA!) arriving HCMC with my new Vietnamese wife 15 June 2022 for a 3 months visit.  We married in Las Vegas in January!  (Australia was CLOSED - Vietnam was CLOSED so we went to America, where we both got Covid instantly and were sick as dogs!) Lucky to have lived, visited or holiday'd in 92 countries.  I think Vietnam is currently the BEST of Asia. Very interesting "read" here and I've learned a lot and added a lot of questions for myself to be answered over the coming 3 months in the country...

@Mac68 LOVE George Carlin - what a Legend...