Foreigner and vietnamese hotelpolicy

I seen on agoda most hotel have this policy:

As per the law, a foreigner cannot share a room with a citizen of Vietnam without a certificate of marriage as a proof. The property may reject the booking or request that a second room be booked upon failure to do so.

Wtf is this are they really strict on this ?

So i need to book two room or get rejected when check in?

Could u guys recommand hotel who allow 2 people in same room

Only in vietnam.....junglelaw

what about 'don't ask, don't tell' policy? Or give them some 'hush hush' money.

This used to be the case. For example, fourteen years ago my wife and I were once refused a room before we were married. But these days most hotels don't worry about it. I guess that if the policy is still in effect, the hotel pays the police to not come around and bother them.

A& EM HOTEL or others 3 star you can check in with anyone you like in 1 room.

Your case usually happen when you check in 5 star hotel ,but if both of you check in at the same time should be no problem .

It did happen to us this year in Blue Diamond hotel in HCMC..  My wife got real angry and frankly so did I.

Wife just said to them that give us money back and then we leave, but that was not ok and soon they totally change their minds and no longer marriage paper was not needed.

Have to say that this was the only time ever Hotel has wanted marriage paper.

john222 wrote:

I seen on agoda most hotel have this policy:

As per the law, a foreigner cannot share a room with a citizen of Vietnam without a certificate of marriage as a proof. The property may reject the booking or request that a second room be booked upon failure to do so.

Wtf is this are they really strict on this ?

So i need to book two room or get rejected when check in?

Could u guys recommand hotel who allow 2 people in same room

Only in vietnam.....junglelaw

Different country, different rules!!! There should be absolutely nothing surprising about that. Do you really think this happens only in Vietnam?

Don't try checking into a hotel in Saudi Arabia with a female you aren't married to. In fact, don't be caught in public with a female you're not married to there.

Cheers,
James
Expat-blog Experts Team

The policy is there. It depends whether the so called hotel or brothel wants to 'enforce' it or not! You can screw, but make sure it's a 3 star or less joint..

Yes you are right.

If you bring your wife or fiancée/ girl friend, i was told you can look for "girl friendly hotel" in vietnam on the internet. They are more tourist oriented or friendly. Usually you will find many in major cities.

For small town, it's more difficult. My friend got two room keys for the price of one in Tay Ninh. The reception will call your room in advance if action is needed. !

Hope this helps.

How many hotel authorities care rules and regulations?
Don't they want to survive?  :)

If you bring a decent looking lady into a 4 star or above joint; its assumed that you are of a certain 'class' and not looking for a 'cheap screw'. Hotels will survive - one way or the other, its depending whether they are charitable enough to give donations at best..

I usually email the hotel prior to booking to explain the situation.
Each hotel has there own individual policy.   

Obviously the 1 star bedbug joints don't worry about policy, they just want the cash.

It's amused me on occasions when I've been in Saigon and the "good" hotel I was staying at refused to let a woman I'd known for 2 years to even enter the elevator. 

BUT, later that evening on returning to my room the lobby staff at this "fine establishment" offered me the services of a prostitute.

They say never poke a bear in the eye with a stick .    Yogi wasn't impressed and what he replied with cannot be published here. 😀

Of course, it's as plain as daylight.
You bring your own girl, they end up with nothing.
They supply, they get something out of what you paid. Obvious right?

Cindysar wrote:

Of course, it's as plain as daylight.
You bring your own girl, they end up with nothing.
They supply, they get something out of what you paid. Obvious right?

Aaah Yes,  but that's business. $$$

To hell with their policy , ethics and cultural beliefs then.

It is actually a law in VN that foreigner and Vietnamese woman can't stay in the same room without marriage certification. However, some hotels follow the law, some not.
To solve the problem, before booking the hotel, called for them and asked whether that hotel accepts for foreigner and Vietnamese woman staying in the same room or not.
99% they accept because they dont want to loose customer.
But, if you booked with asking, they will find the way to charge 1 more room. their explanation is that: they booked seperate rooms, but you can sleep in 1 room :D haha...

So, ask before booked :)

Cindysar wrote:

The policy is there. It depends whether the so called hotel or brothel wants to 'enforce' it or not! You can screw, but make sure it's a 3 star or less joint..

So, which is your favourite hotel for dallying in? I was once refused at the Majestic Hotel, because the Y/L I was with was not married to me. Luckily an old friend was also staying there who knows the manager and he sorted things out for me.

The Bac Lieu hotel made us pay for separate rooms when we stayed there a few years ago.

Likewise I had real probs getting a room with my fiancee a couple of years ago at the Caravelle hotel, even though we were both Caravelle club members (at 400 USD a year each) and had been members for a couple of years at least. We eventually got a room but not after an embarrassing delay at reception.

A couple of years ago, my then employer (Total Oil) once booked me in to the Kim Do hotel and I arranged with the front of house staff for my fiancee to join me there when she came down from Da Lat. When I tried to check her in the desk lizard told me that I was not allowed to bring prostitutes into the hotel off the street. Charming. We later got an apology and a free dinner from the management - after I told them that I would ask Total Oil to stop sending people to their hotel.

After we got married things eased off a bit, but not completely. Earlier this year we were staying at a pleasant little hotel in Tam Ky (about an hours drive from Da Nang) whilst I was doing some work for an NGO there. On arrival we provided our passports and a copy of our marriage certificate to the check in desk. One night there was a knock at our door and outside were 5 officials, three police and two customs blokes. We have no idea what they wanted and my wife (who can be very feisty, as befits a very senior NVA officers daughter) engaged them in conversation. I went to the door to find out what was going on and as soon as they saw me they were gone with the speed of a startled gazelle.

By comparison we have stayed regularly for many years at a nice Suite hotel (its closed now) almost next door to the Saigon Star hotel. We never had any problem staying there at all and after we had stayed there a few times they gave me 20% discount. There was a reason, of course. The hotel was owned by the police.  :lol:

Not sure it is a good idea to call and ask the hotel for such arrangement ahead of time.  Most would say "no" not knowing who's on the other end of the line.  For 5-star I would say book with 2 registered names, then ask the girl to dress appropriately and drop the high heel with mini skirt.