Bringing food into Vietnam

Hello,

Sorry for the daft questions but....
I am visiting my son next week and he wants me to bring the usual chocolates and crisps etc. However he has also requested tins of corned beef and pies. We are  also bringing a stock of glucosamine tablets for personal use for his mother in law's arthritis.

Would the above  be permitted and do we need to declare it?

Many food stuffs are banned from travel all over the world, mostly fresh products.

Chocolate and crisps will probably be totally ignored at any airport but tins might well get your baggage searched as they could be seen as suspicious potential bombs. The X ray machine guys will probably have security on you for that one.
If they can't see inside it, they'll probably want to look physically.

Crisp packets have been known to go bang in your luggage when the aircraft pressurises. I know this first hand, and it gets crisp bits all over your bag.
Not horrible, but a pain to clean up.

Pies could be a problem as fresh food could carry insects or disease, and it's very common for airports all over the world to confiscate and destroy anything of that nature.

Tablets - Travelling with tablets could present problems in any South East Asian country. Given many brands are made in that country, it would seen less than clever to risk being stopped and questioned over something you don't need to bother with.

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/VN … amine.htmlhttp://tranglypharma.com/en/xuong-khop

Hello dear,
Dont worried about that, i see that My aunt returned to vietnam and She brought many things such as chocolate, candy, ham, fish oil, glucosamin.... They are no problem. I dont know if tins are accept or no. You can buy food in plastic package. I think Fresh food may be put in gray metal papers. My friend aslo carried french fresh bread to vietnam too, and  indian taro, coffee filter to french. And  they are vietnamese.

Let's ask google "vietnam customs food"... This site sounds authoritative:
http://www.vietnamonline.com/visa/custo … tions.html

Doesn't say food is banned. You can buy similar things in duty free. These sound like low cost items. If you feel like the benefit to your son outweighs a very low probability of confiscation, just bring it.

I brought several bottles of glucosamine for my friend's sister. Then I found out it is available here on lazada.vn, but maybe you will save some money. I recommend packing some anti bacterial ointment though, neosporin or generic bacitracin. I haven't seen that wonder drug here.

Thank you all for your replies. Bit of  mixed opinions and I suppose you can only go on your own experiences.
I agree with not taking the fresh produce so will give that a miss. The corned beef is in tins (2) so still unsure as what to do.

Much appreciated all x.

You can buy Corned beef in can in any super market in HCMC? But also no problem to bring it with you.

I don't think Vietnam has any sort of quarantine laws like western countries. you shouldn't have any issues with your item if you put them in your luggage rather than your check in. your corned beef will probably be considered as a liquid when carrying with your check in.

coming into vietnam requires no declarations. I've known people to carry Australian beef into the country. so I am pretty sure your items will be fine.

I always bring a few legs of lamb , Rib eye steak etc when I come back , never had a problem

:)  Feel a  bit more easy now - thanks all. Is it best to declare it then?

I never declare anything because they never give me a card to do so

Can I bring 32 pcs of cooked sausages with ketchup in it? The name of sausage is "Sosis Kanzler". 

Can someone help me to answer this question? Because I'm going to Vietnam on 19 October 2023

Can I bring 32 pcs of cooked sausages with ketchup in it? The name of sausage is "Sosis Kanzler". 
Can someone help me to answer this question? Because I'm going to Vietnam on 19 October 2023
   -@Santhi Christina

Hello Santhi Christina, and welcome to expat.com.

I believe that if the meat(s) are precooked, in their original manufacturer's packaging, that you would be permitted entry with them. However, to be doubly sure I suggest you check with the Vietnam embassy in your country.

Embassy of Vietnam in Jakarta, Indonesia

Address: No.25 JL. Teuku Umar, Menteng, Jakarta-Pusat, INDONESIA

Phone: (6221) 310 0358

Fax: (6221) 314 9615

Email: [email protected]

Working hours: From 08.00 until 16.30 Mondays to Fridays

Please let the forum know of your findings when you have time.

Best of luck, and hope to hear from you soon.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thank you for the answer!

Been traveling in and out of Vtnm for many years.

I have brought many items of foodstuffs into Vietnam without any issue.

Going the other way can be a bit of a problem.   One particular item is baked goods like moon cakes with eggs inside.   Apparently this is because the avian influenzas are transmissible through the eggs and there is no way to tell if the virus is present or if it is killed.   This is true for the US and I expect the EU as well.   No fresh fruit can come into the US because of fruit flies, but fruit may be allowed in countries that have winters bitter enough to be sure that the flies will die even if introduced.   So no fruit to the US but maybe OK to Canada, EU don't know. as it is the same land mass as Asia, except maybe Ireland.  But maybe Danny can tell us if there is any fruit grown in Ireland or only potatoes and sheep. 1f60e.svg  For the US, the problem is mostly California but as almost all flights from Asia touch down there, US makes the rules nationwide.

Going the other way can be a bit of a problem.   One particular item is baked goods like moon cakes with eggs inside.   Apparently this is because the avian influenzas are transmissible through the eggs and there is no way to tell if the virus is present or if it is killed.   This is true for the US and I expect the EU as well.   No fresh fruit can come into the US because of fruit flies, but fruit may be allowed in countries that have winters bitter enough to be sure that the flies will die even if introduced.   So no fruit to the US but maybe OK to Canada, EU don't know. as it is the same land mass as Asia, except maybe Ireland.  But maybe Danny can tell us if there is any fruit grown in Ireland or only potatoes and sheep. 1f60e.svg  For the US, the problem is mostly California but as almost all flights from Asia touch down there, US makes the rules nationwide.

-@THIGV

Indeed, going the other way can be a bit of a problem! I flew nonstop from HCMC to Melbourne, Australia last December (2022) and was shocked at the tight Australian customs. There were many warnings on the plane and in the airport that bringing food (long lists) in from VN was going to be carefully inspected.

The inspection happened after we got our luggage. We were herded into a holding hall. Then, a group of 15-20 passengers were released into a smaller holding pen, surrounded by the usual tape and stantions. There, sniffer dogs were paraded around sticking their noses up close to each person's luggage. I had cashews I had purchased in VN and "nuts" were on the list. My cashews were sealed in plastic wraps and apparently didn't come to the attention of the dogs. I only remembered that I had those cashews after I got into the holding pen with the dogs! I didn't sweat bullets, but thought, geeze, if they find the nuts and I didn't declare them -- having had multiple opportunities to do so --  I'm going to look pretty bad trying to smuggle cashews into Australia!

All's well that ends. . . . 😁