Questions about traveling to Algeria

Hi,
   I am madly in love with my Algerian boyfriend.  He tried to get his visa to come to the U.S. but was denied.  I MUST BE WITH THIS MAN, so I guess the only way to be together is if I go over there to Algeria to be with him, at least for a short time, about a month.  Can someone please tell me if going to this country would be a wise decision and if I will be in danger going.
Thank you so much for any help you can offer me.
God bless,
Melanie

hi melanie..

u r from colorado?if u r gonna live in this country with ur bf, u better think twice hehehe. (no elaboration on that)

HI there, nice to meet you.  Can you tell me why I should think twice about going to Algeria for a month to see my boyfriend?  I am just curious as to what the dangers are.
Thank you,
Melanie

Hello ,
im algerien living in prague in czech republic i want help you with more information about algeria way,can you tell me pls from how city is your BF ?and its easy way you can flay to paris charles de gaules after take plane to algeria but i dont know how city he live ?because they have not airoport in all algerien city,its nice country and dont worry ,
friendly
sofiane

HI Sofiane,
    Thank you for replying to my post.   Hamimi lives in Akbou, Algeria.  I want to go see him for a few weeks, but I am being warned by people that this is dangerous.  Can you tell me any more?  Thank you and God bless you,
Hugs,
Melanie

Hello Lady;

Well as a matter of fact, I'm Algerian, living in Colorado for now, and have been living enough time in Algeria, to be able to enlighten you about some issues concerning it.

Going to Algeria right now wouldn't be as safe as you could think or expect. It's not a kind of Baghdad or Kaboul, but still, there would be some risks for you going in there. It would be safe for me as an Algerian to got there, but not for you. As you could check it on the internet there have been riots ans strikes about living standards and general prices increase.

Well, the city you're talking about is not far away from Bejaia where there's an Airport. I used to go there in weekens, and frankly speaking it's worth doing. Well I'm not going to tlak about it in depth. If you want more details, just email me to [email protected] I even know some guys in that region that could help. Keep in mind that you'll have to apply for a visa which is not necessarily going to be issued by the Algerian Embassy during this tough times.

May god bless you and Bless Algeria

Thank you so very much for writing to me about going to Algeria.  I have been reading about the riots going on over there and it does create in my heart a great deal of caution.  My boyfriend over there insists that he would be there to take care of me and that I would be protected by him.  It is so very important that I meet him.  We have been in contact for four hours every single day for the last four months and it is getting to the point where we must meet.  I would love to talk to you some more about this.  Was it hard for you to get your visa to come to Colorado?  He applied but was denied. 
I am going to email you at your regular email address and would love to become friends.  Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me, I so appreciate all of this!!
God bless,
Melanie

Hi melanie,
please get in contact with me... I have your same story I am in love with Algerian man he also tells me not to worry i will be with him in algeria..awe..and planning on going to Tunisia in spring break , tunisia is a tourist place " safer for us" lol.... I can't wait to meet him ahhh'!!!  He is so respectful and treats me like a princess awe;).. And don't need any visa to go to Tunisia

Love,

Demi

HI DEMI, do you have an email address where I can write to you?  I want to talk to you more about this.  It is important for us to get to our guys!!!!!
Love and blessings,
Melanie

Hi Melanie...
    Hope you have not been put off coming to DZ...I am English and I have lived here for a few yrs now...there are soooo many of "us" foreigners living here(including quite a few Americans)...I don`t see the problem...which area will you be going to?? Are you muslim??.please son`t hesitate to contact me...xx susan

Hi Peacefuleagle & Demi,
You are supposed to be with your boyfriend so he will protect you. lol
Honestly Algeria is safe now. just go and don't worry.

Hi girls,

I have read your messages and worriers about going to Algeria. going to Akbou(an area i know well because i was born there)which is a very conservative city is not a good idea, if your bf introduce you to his family, i m not sure they will accept from the first steep and if you go and live in a hotel alone, this can be very dangerous for you. I personnel spent one night with my husband and my son in a hotel at Bejaia the city last summer, and didn t feel safety.
I advise you to see him in Algiers and leave immediately. Not because of insecurity but because you re a girl and sometimes even being with your husband or a guy, this s not even safe!
I m girl like you and know what can happen if bad guys know that a foreigner is a alone is an hotel.

take care of you and email me if you need any help in Algiers, Im living in Paris but my sisters or some friends there can help you if need.

Hey Girls
I all all the comments above, some of them made Algeria sound like hell. What are you guys talking about??
I am Algerian Kabyle/Berber like you boyfriend from Akbou, I currently live in Sydney Australia but I go back to Algeria every year to buy and export Algerian handmade ornaments to Australia to sell them on my website.
hey, in every country there is  good a bad. 2 years ago, my Australia female friend joined me for 10 days, we traveled in the whole Kabylie region, to the Sahara desert and to few of the big and small cities, and she had an Amazing time.
Don't believe in what you see in the Western TVs, they are full of S**t.
I wouldn't recommend you go out by yourselves in you don't know the area and the culture, but if you will be with your boyfriend and his family, there is then absolutely no problem at all. Just go!
The boys (neighbours) will be very jealous for sure especially if you are hot. Apart from that, it is all good.
Algeria is more modern than you think.

Hacene
[Moderated: No free advert]

hi there
from what i saw about the comment, i said wow am i living in kaboul or what lol , i just want to tell you that algeria is much safer and you don't have to worry about this  any more.
:)

hi.   
i am going through a simular sort of situation,and will be travelling to algeria from the uk in the next couple of weeks to marry my algerian boyfriend...
i have no choice but to travel alone and am really nervous of this.
judging from previous posts,it is really a mixture of opinions as to where ever it is safe or not..... i would really appreciate any comments or advise given.     thanks..

Hi bubblegum :)

Welcome on Expat.com!

Armand

Hi there,

I'm originally from algeria but lived in france all my life.
I've been going to Algeria every single summer for 2months.
I'm very shocked to read some people talking about this beautiful country.

I have many French friends (guy and girls) who went there for holiday with there algerian friend and absolutely loved it. It's a muslim country but it doesn't mean that the people there are the animals that the media love showing.

You would be stared at if you are in a small town or village as they wouldn't be used to see foreigners, but as long as you dress up accordingly (and I don't mean that you should wear a burka, just avoid mini skirts and showing off your belly....unless on the beach) you would be very ok. There are many internet cafes were you can go easily and if you want to go out to visit, it is better to be accompanied with someone (male or female) as some guys would try to chat you up.

If you are not sure, you could try to meet people online who are just like me algerian who lives(d) in france as there are many of us and if you decide to go during summer.

If any questions, please don't hesitate, I'll be happy to help.

Karima

Dear all
I am algerian living in australia married to a native australian women for the last 17 years since then we have been to algeria (mainly algiers and berber region )every 2/3 years and my wife never felt threatened or afraid and she loved every moment we spend there, am actually appauled by some negatif comments by some algerians but i can assure you in some cases it is safer than some western countrys no joke.

iam an algerian live in guelma,and am married with british girl , i had my setelment visa refused to go to uk ,and i did appeal , but they still refusing me , i want to ask someone who had idea about that to help me , even  with advice thank you so much .

Hello,

I am an American woman who is in love with an Algerian man. It just happened and we want to get married in a few months and I want to stay in Algeria with him. I want to leave America and never come back. I converted to Islam and just want a quiet, peaceful life with my husband.

I cannot find any hopeful information on how to become a permanent resident of Algeria. I do not want to work there or be known to anyone but my husband and his family. I have been with him for over a year now and just want to move there and be with him. How does this happen? It shouldnt be so hard for two people who love each other to be together.

I know how wonderful Algeria is and how beautiful and I am in no way concerned about anything bad happening to me. I want to live as a muslim woman in a muslim country with my muslim husband. HOW DO I GET THERE AND BECOME A PERMANENT RESIDENT??? :(

hi!i don't know to many things but i hope i can help you a little.to get in algeria you need a visa,usually a tourist visa and since your husbend is algerian you won't have any problem. with a few days before your visa expires(10 day usually),you or rather your husband have to go to the police in the city or district that you live and submit a fille for the residency(ask them what papers you need for that file cause i don't know for sure).while ask an extension for your visa,explain them you are waiting for your residency.usually you get your residency in a month if things go rigt.if you get the residency you won't need to have a visa each time you live or come to algeria.you have to go and ask what papers you need because usually the proces is different in each city.if i made any mistakes other memebers can interfere. i hope it was usefull.good look!

1hunny wrote:

Hello,

I am an American woman who is in love with an Algerian man. It just happened and we want to get married in a few months and I want to stay in Algeria with him. I want to leave America and never come back. I converted to Islam and just want a quiet, peaceful life with my husband.

I cannot find any hopeful information on how to become a permanent resident of Algeria. I do not want to work there or be known to anyone but my husband and his family. I have been with him for over a year now and just want to move there and be with him. How does this happen? It shouldnt be so hard for two people who love each other to be together.

I know how wonderful Algeria is and how beautiful and I am in no way concerned about anything bad happening to me. I want to live as a muslim woman in a muslim country with my muslim husband. HOW DO I GET THERE AND BECOME A PERMANENT RESIDENT??? :(

hi there, you can contact by email or phone "the embassy of algeria in usa"
they will explain to you the steps you will follow.
you will have a paper to fill out, and you will choose the goal of the visit "marriage, it will be a visa of 90 days, but then one married her you can stay as long as you want.
i found this on the algerian embassy in USA:

EMBASSY OF THE PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF ALGERIA

2118 Kalorama Road NW - Washington DC 20008

Tel:  (202) 265-2800

Fax: (202) 986- 5906

Email: [email protected]

For Consular Affair issues :
email address: [email protected]

Hi,

i'm Algerian, i would like to answer some questions about if Algeria is safe or not...i don't know how foreign media are describing Algeria but one thing is sure, you can walk all over the streets, no body has guns on him , and starts to shoot people if he gets crazy...

So, regarding to this detail, be sure, it's safe!

hi,
some one
i have to come in Algeria
i need some one in this country
i have to visit  some lades cloth market
some body can help me

[email protected]
[email protected]

best regard with good wishes

Mr khalid

Hi;
I am Algerian, I an assure you that there's nothing to worry about. The country is safe. plan your vacations and just go !
wish you a good luck.
if needed, you can ask me any questions : )

MrDZD wrote:

Hello Lady;

Going to Algeria right now wouldn't be as safe as you could think or expect. It's not a kind of Baghdad or Kaboul, but still, there would be some risks for you going in there. It would be safe for me as an Algerian to got there, but not for you

EXCUSE ME, if you don't have any onformation available, it's not  neceassary to make up things, bother yourself and reply.

there's absolutely nothing going on in Algeria, thank god for that. please check your sources

Hi there,
I am an Algerian national who lives in London for a good time,my wife is from Boston USA she travels to Algeria every year to visit my family, she learnt Arabic and learn even all the Algerian manners,after a very good reflection and research we finally decided to move next summer to live in Algeria (Algiers).
For those who are talking about Algeria looking the Kaboul and Ect...well this is not true, if it was so, why are the foreign companies investing in Algeria and why all the Tunisians and Syrians seeking refuge in Algeria.
For the those ladies who would like to visit their BF or even for tourism i say go ahead and do it do not listen to unwise comments based on assumption,Algeria is a great country, its people are generous and helpful
Please feel free to contact me if you require more information
many thanks

Hello
if you are so in love come in Algeria and fight for your love
live here is not bad at all I garentie that you will have fan ;)

You will have a great vacation.
   My goal is to take my wife down there.
   Wish me luck.

hi everyone,
first of all i would like to thank all algerian people who did defend their own country, pride and blessing to them, i also would like to take the opportunity to explain something ,it is true algeria had some political trouble and unsafe moments in the past few years but it doesn't mean it's a scary place to visit at all, especially now, i am married to a west end woman (half australian half english) we went to algeria several times together and she even went there on her own, she just loved it, we are a very civilised people with full of good manners and things to share and show off for, hospitality, friendly, modesty, and kindness, we also have a beautifull country with good cinery and sea side regardless the desert and his oasis, do not listen to the media and all the west end gossips, there is crimes and thouph places every were you go, so please people stop saying bad things according to what you experienced or media gossips ,
i finaly got to say my own opinion algeria is a peacfull land and full of good things to discover ,my favourite heaven on hearth,
thanks

I am in Algeria ! live in the north ! I want to confirmed that you can find safe in Algeria ! so welcon (smile)

Hi there,

I'm a 26 year old female from Scotland who has an Algerian boyfriend who currently lives in Chlef, Algeria. We met online and hit it off from the word go, I'm not usually the type of girl that falls in love online, but it happened and I am so very happy, we have not met in person, howvever we Skype every single day without fail, not only have I spoken to him but I have also spoken with his Mother, Sisters and younger brothers who are all really lovely people and have alot of time for me.

In a few weeks time I will be traveling to Algeria to marry my Algerian boyfriend and we wish to spend the rest of our lives together, however, like any normal human being I have alot of questions I would like to ask with regards to Algerian culture - I want to point out that I am not concerned about safety, as every country has their own stigma attactched to it about wether it's safe or not, all I know is I will NOT be roming on my own, as I would not do in any foreighn country.

The questions I have are as follows;

Does anyone have an insight into the city of Chlef? - any information at all would be great

This might be a silly one please excuse me if I sound ignorant - What type of clothing should I wear, just normal western style??

How will his family treat me do they have any expectations and are there any DO's and DON'Ts

I really just want to make a good impression and be as respectful as possible..

Thanks in advance for any sort of input :)God bless.

Hi There,
I am so happy for you, you remind me so much about me 8 years ago, I met my wife who is an american citizen online and we fell in love in couple of weeks she moved to live with me in London
a month later i took her to Algeria, during the whole week she kept asking what shall i wear, will they like me and many other questions.
I am so happy for you, i am Algerian as well from the city, i live in London for about 12 years, in June we going back to Algeria for good.
Lets go back to your concern, chlef is a great city very hot in summer you will love, their people are so warm and friendly, they will treat so well, in terms of clothing, I say decent cloth as you know Algeria is a Muslim country but feel free to wear a brand and any color no restriction ( bear in mind in Algeria girls wears all kind of sexy stuff).
An advice be yourself and I pray Allah to give you the best husband, I am sure you are having high expectation.
Once again congratulation in advance and feel free to ask any questions,I am as well a legal adviser in London any issue contact me on
[email protected] or 07982253009

Hi there, thanks for your question, i'am algerian married to an australian ladie, i can tell you that we go back to algeria every 2 years and my wife and kids loves it and never felt unsafe and she even stayed there with the kids with out me for a month due to work commitment and i can tell you no desrespect to scotland but it can be safer that Glasgow !!,regarding chlef i have only been there ones i fund it a lovely city especialy it's surronding as for customs and dress code remember we are a muslim country and very proud of it so a respectfull dress code will go a long way and not to be too cosy with your boyfriend in public!!as for people ,they are very lovely and welcoming apart from that go enjoy your time a good luck with your men.

algiers wrote:

Hi there, thanks for your question, i'am algerian married to an australian ladie, i can tell you that we go back to algeria every 2 years and my wife and kids loves it and never felt unsafe and she even stayed there with the kids with out me for a month due to work commitment and i can tell you no desrespect to scotland but it can be safer that Glasgow !!,regarding chlef i have only been there ones i fund it a lovely city especialy it's surronding as for customs and dress code remember we are a muslim country and very proud of it so a respectfull dress code will go a long way and not to be too cosy with your boyfriend in public!!as for people ,they are very lovely and welcoming apart from that go enjoy your time a good luck with your men.

Thank you for your reply! I am very excited but a little nervous, I just want to make a good impression to my new family, so any information I am greatful for.

Yes it hard to get visa to usa specially for us,for algeria & spicialy Akbou dont woooooory about that we are so freindly here , there is no dangerous to be here , not like midea tell u about us , comme here & see , i will guarante to you that u will see another face of us  , dear to be with the men who tried to get visa to be with u many times  that mean tahat he loves u too, dear &  this is just my opinion, YOUR LOVE DESERVE UN REAL MOMENT

Peace ,

Hi,

Happy for you Cwalker may God Bless your Weeding with the Algerian man.
don't worry Algerians are welcoming people, for his family they will love as daughter ans a sister. about Clothing you can wear as you like even algeria is a muslim country but women are free to wear as they want but it's good for you to try a traditional algerian clothes they will appreciate the act.
Here is some words you will need in Algeria:
- hello or Hi: Salam Alikoum
- thank you: Choukrane or Saha
- how are you: Wach rak? for women Wach raki?
- I love you: Nehabek ;-)

Good Luck

Thank you so much for your advice! God Bless

salimleham wrote:

Hi There,
I am so happy for you, you remind me so much about me 8 years ago, I met my wife who is an american citizen online and we fell in love in couple of weeks she moved to live with me in London
a month later i took her to Algeria, during the whole week she kept asking what shall i wear, will they like me and many other questions.
I am so happy for you, i am Algerian as well from the city, i live in London for about 12 years, in June we going back to Algeria for good.
Lets go back to your concern, chlef is a great city very hot in summer you will love, their people are so warm and friendly, they will treat so well, in terms of clothing, I say decent cloth as you know Algeria is a Muslim country but feel free to wear a brand and any color no restriction ( bear in mind in Algeria girls wears all kind of sexy stuff).
An advice be yourself and I pray Allah to give you the best husband, I am sure you are having high expectation.
Once again congratulation in advance and feel free to ask any questions,I am as well a legal adviser in London any issue contact me on
[email protected] or 07982253009

Thank you so much for your advice! Just a week to go until I go to Algeria, so desperately in love with this man I'm so excited! God Bless you

Hello!

I'm really in need of some information please, I am going to Algeria in less than 2 weeks (SO EXCITED I COULD BURST!) to meet my boyfriend in person for the first time ever, we plan on getting married and trying to find out what paperwork I need is a complete nightmare as every site I go onto seems to have different information and my Algerian boyfriend has gone into his local town hall to find out what I need and they told him all I need is my birth certificate, a certificate to prove that I am single and 4 recent passport sized photographs of myself, he also told me that I need to have the documents converted to French, looking on some websites I have seen some people saying that I need more documents than this and also that I have to sepnd 21 days in Algeria before I can marry!?.. Is this true? I am so stressed and worried, all I want to do is marry the love of my life and there are so many obsticles in my way :(

PLEASE HELP!
God bless :)