Algerian boyfriend

Hi -I am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about my Algerian boyfriend .

I have known him for 2 years - He is from Bejaia , and I have visited 4 times and spent many happy hours eating couscous and spending time with his lovely family. It's a beautiful country with beautiful people .

I am older than him and divorced and currently living in the U.K. We have applied for a visitor visa for him so he can come to England and meet my family and spend 2 weeks with me so that I can show him where I was born and he can visit some of the sites in the U.K. However , he doesn't have much money and neither do I so long term I am not sure how we can make it all work . Also, I am thinking he will not get a visitor  visa because U.K. Immigration will think he won't return to Algeria after the 2 weeks are up!!

Anyway, I do love him very much and I spend every evening in Skype with him but I'm just not sure what we can do in the future .

Thank you very  much for any advice
Caroline

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

We are here on an expatriate website and we mainly discuss about expatriation issues ( procedures, visas , how is life abroad etc )

For personal affairs, i am afraid that we might not be apt to help you unfortunately.

What is precisely your question please and what kind of help are you looking for? :)

Thanks,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla ,

Maybe I need to post this on another forum but thank you for your reply.

Will return to this site if I manage to marry and move  to Algeria in the future 😄

Thanks again
Caroline

hello how are i think you are fine
My advise to you is that don't believe what others said take theirs for reference. Judge with your own heart and eyes. Your 's worries was mind too

Hello
Thank you for your reply . I am still with my boyfriend and hoping we can find a way to be together in the future . Uk immigration refused his visitor visa so not sure how !
Best wishes
Caroline

you can meet him in tunisia ? or algeria ?? no ??

I have been to Algeria many times and I love it there  but we have been together 3 years and it's how we get together in the future . Maybe we will marry in Algeria and then see what happens from there
Caroline

ahh ok you was meet hime good luck i think he wilwas reeal whan you meet him online
i think you need marri him in tunisia is so fast than algeria

Hi
Thank you for your messages
Maybe we can look into that but we have lasted this long so I think it's genuine --it's just distance is the problem 😄 Xx

Caroline

hello how are you i think you are good dont worry me too i htabe american girl ferind its was with me last month
so but you need he bring you at arrport you konw ? for make you sur
and you know you'r boy ;) but algeria its not carzy not like america but oky

Hi -thanks for your message.

We have been together for 3 years now and hoping to get married this year  but not sure where we will live in the future . I would still like him to come and visit the UK but we can't get a visa so I only get to see him once a year in algeria 😞

Good luck- hope it all works out for you 😄

So then u have to marry first, u try to take visa by marriage to live in UK. ıts ll ve easy like that guess :)

I wish it was that easy -they change  visa uk rules in 2014 . I must earn a large Salary and the visa costs DZD 234931 so not quite so easy as it used to be 😊

:D ı understanding what u feel or think or worry, Its like u need to prepare documents and do it then they are have to  accept ıt cuz he is married with u, actualy ıts not hard in turkey ıf u have good economiy, ı dont have problem to about take visa to gf , but the foreging mary need some money, but ıf u ll live in algeria 500 dolars enough for live good in there live normal algerian but ıts depends to area like center or center out :D

I have to earn £18600 a year salary so even if we marry he can't come unless I earn this...and I don't 😂😂
Maybe I will  live in algeria one day 😄😄

ıf ı ll be ur side ı ll do it to, If ı have 2 home in istanbul, lL give it  to rent and ll live in algeria easy :) If u have something like that, then ll do ıt easy, even u havent any thing, ur  future husband ll  care u ofc dont wory, So algeria is best choise, İnşallah u ll be happy int there, İf ı can mary with my gf, from algeria, Think about to move there but need to learn some language, arabic or french but ıts hard :D thats why  ım stresfull a little to :D

Thank you -it's nice to know we aren't the only ones going through all this ! I can speak some French and I'm trying to learn Berber and Arabic but they are so difficult . My children are mostly grown up now but they still need their Mum 😊
Anyway-lots of luck and hopefully we will find a way to make our dreams come true 🤞

Please please please consider the fact that he may only be using you for your UK citizenship. I am an Algerian and US citizen and whenever I go to Algeria my family members always ask if there is someone they can marry, anybody, even if they're way older than them. Every Algerian man I have met in the US got their citizenship by first marrying a American woman, then divorcing her and then going to find their Algerian wife. I will refuse to say all because I don't know your specific case but most Algerian men would never marry someone older, would never marry someone divorced, would never marry someone who already has kids, would never marry someone who was not raised Muslim, unless it was just to get the citizenship. In fact that is how my dad got citizenship in the US. He married an American. Did his two years, got divorced, married my mom in Algeria, came back and never looked back. There is this community of Algerians in my hometown that I grew up with all with Algerian wives. It wasn't until I was 18 or so that I found out they all did the same. Because they never mentioned it or talked about it. Algerian men do not care. If I showed you the amount of messages I have piling up from Algerian men it will astound you. Why? Because they're all pining for that green card. And just because you've met the family doesn't really mean anything. They're usually all in on it. Don't just take my word on it: https://dz.usembassy.gov/additional-inf … age-fraud/

moderated : vulgar message

Hi -thanks for your advice . I have read a lot about this and I know in the beginning he wanted a visa and maybe he will come to the uk and only stay with me for 10 years ( he has to stay that long now because the visa system has changed and he can be deported before he gains citizenship if he divorces me before this)
The problem is I love him and I believe he loves me ... it's a difficult thing because we place our trust in someone and we take the risk because of love but I could do the same with an English man and he take me for everything I have . I share every day in Skype and FaceTime -we talk about everything ,he is caring and compassionate and his family have always welcomed me as one of their own.
I do understand exactly what you are saying and I have thought about the future but life is short and maybe this relationship will be in the 2% that aren't just for a visa 😊

I'm so stunned by reading this because I'm having a relationship with you g Algeria man, and we have been a year but constantly contacted each other.
We met 3 tomes already.
I love him but my guts still saying something.
Inshallah things will get thru

There is a positive thing to take from this . UK government have changed the visa system and its now costs thousands to get them here and they don't get leave to stay in the uk for 7.5 years and this is changing to 10 years . If we divorce in this time they can be deported so it's very difficult to bring them here. I don't have any money so I won't be paying for it and my partner knows this so he could have left me for someone who could do this for him and he hasn't .

We are more in love now then when we met 3 years ago so trust your instincts and ask questions and spend as much time together in real and Internet and all the best for your future .

It really alarmed me now. Was thinking what if we are talking with the same man....

Oh my goodness. I was reading your comments on the post about Algerian marriage and you wrote the guys name Yacine Soualhia so of course I looked him up on Facebook!!!! And I kid you not he was at the US embassy today in Tunisia getting papers for his fiancé. She's Cuban! That's so crazy and a small world!!!!

anybody same name AMMAR Boudjelida?

No-not the name of my man .
Good luck -hope everything is ok with you 🙃

Calm dows guys , Everyone start to be paranoiac :)

Lol

I have read all the posts here.  What I will say is if you are getting DLA in the UK you do not need to make the threshold of the money in fact you only need the cost of the visa and 200 pounds NHS a year that he is in the UK.  I married in tunis in 1 week I have marriage book and family visa to algeria.
I will say you have a right to worry about algerian men.  I hope he is a good man as they don't marry older divorced women with children.
If you can't give him children it is doomed.
Good luck with visa and if he is a good man marry him. Get on DLA you will have no problem.

Hello Minnie I am MAlika and my native city is Bejaia. So what if you move by yourself to Algeria I think its going to be easier for you and your boyfriend rather than he moves to England. Wish you the best.

Hi Malika,

If we can't get the visa for the uk then maybe in the future I will be able to come and live there . We have talked about it so maybe one day 😄

InshAlah why not. You should be very patient. Where does your boyfriend leave exactly in Bejaia?

It will be 4 years this year since we met so we have definitely been patient -hopefully this year he will come to the UK . I have visited Bejaia  5 times and now I would like him to come and meet my family 😄

Hello ,
I wish my message finds you well , that's great I wish happiness for you guys , what a nice couple , distance means nothing when someone means everything , even the age gap is nothing .
Algerians are too cute and especially when they have chance to interacts with foreigners , I wish you all the best

Thank you for your message -hopefully we can finally get together this year 😄

Hi,

I am going through similar situation as you are. I am from Croatia and that guy is from Relizane, Algeria. We met online and we are talking for 3 years now. I am 28, he will be 29 soon.

Did your guy mention converting as a main thing you should do before marrying him?

Because mine does. Although one Algerian friend (that isn't that religious) told me that Algerians can marry non-muslims while they remain in their faith. 

And you mentioned visiting him for many times, how did his parents and family accept you?

Because mine told me that *the time* I come there should be last. But I thought of first going there to meet him and see how we fit together before making that final step.

Hope everything will work out for you two. 😁

Hi leeloo,
You are not required to convert to Islam before marriage.  A muslim man can marry a Christian jew ect...  He is allowed to ask you 3 times if you still refused he can't force you.   I assume you have not met yet in person?. I would take it slow and see how you get a long before committing to anything.  Inshallah

Thank you.
He told me that unless I convert to islam he can't marry me. And no, we didn't meet. And I doubt that asking *that question* have same weight being asked on messenger or in real.

I did read many threads about converting where women wrote their experiences (both bad and good) and how they tried to accomodate to algerian culture, so I am confused.

And every time I ask him about his beliefs, religion and its input in his life (being most important), society and role of women he usually ignores them saying that I already have prejudices so it would be useless.

Hi sorry that he is making a issue  for you to  convert.
I am  in Algeria  I can tell you  my experience  of being a woman in Algeria.   Men and women are very jealous.  You will wear clothes that are modest and a hijab.  You will be kept in the  house cooking and cleaning.  Hidden from all , that's if he is a strong muslim. If not he will take you out my husband do not hold my hand or kiss in public.   He  will be allowed to  go out with his friends  while you stay in the home..  you should join a group called married to an algerian  many from all over the world .  Good luck sister not all men the same inshallah  and  I can only say from my experience.  They are also very family oriented and  his family will come before you.

Hi LeeLoo,

Welsh girl can tell you more than I can but from my own experience , my fiancé has never asked me to convert to Muslim.

However, I do wear modest clothes and no hand holding and public displays of affection. I am a very private person anyway and I didn't do this before I met him so this isn't a problem for me .

We talk a lot about his religion and beliefs and I respect them and read as much as I can about the Quran.

I have been to algeria many times and spent a lot of time with his family and they have always been very welcoming .

Good luck and I hope everything works out for you