Considering the move

Hi
I'm sure this is one of the most often asked questions on here but in considering the move over there, the potential package looks doable but I'm not sure on hidden extras, utilities, car rental/lease etc. We also have two children under 4 so some kind of pre-schooling would be necessary.
Basically it's teachers package of 17 500AED/month + medical, +schooling, and a 96000 allowance for housing. Hopefully some shipping or furniture stipend too but I'm not sure. What's a good area for expat family accommodation? Price, proximity (school is central AB) Bearing in mind I can't subsidise that allowance too much maybe a total of 140 000 AED/year. We'd love to be able to save but really concerned we'd leave UK for working hard and nothing to show for it. If my wife could work that may swing things (is this even possible?) As I said probably a very common Q!!! Thanks to anyone with advice, I guess it might be a bit tough at first then get better or maybe that package would be fine?

I think no, but it's all about expectations. We've been here since last summer. Before we came I read that to live a decent Western lifestyle you needed a package of 40-50k AED per month, one third for housing, one third for day to day living and one third to save. Now, I'd say you could manage on a package of 35k AED per month . Good pre school is the same sort of cost as early years, will you get an allowance for schooling? What does your wife do? There are local hire jobs but they don't always fit around children.

Two children under 4 , and "If your wife could work" means she is not working, and finding a decent package for someone who would be on a spouse visa is becoming a tougher nut to crack day by day over here. Example, in 07,08, I have friends who did admin,coordinator,receptionist,accountant jobs for 9000,10000 per month and now I hardly could find anyone in that job earning more than 4000..its rare. The standard has been lowered by certain nationalities coming desperately to find work agreeing to work for low pay. I myself once demanded a certain pay knowing very well of the value and my professional qualifications, only to literally get laughed by the interviewers saying we could hire 3 -certain country- or -certain nationality-

Is the 96000 an initial allowance or will it be a repetitive one every year? Also you have to find out what will happen as and when rents fluctuate? Rents are being bumped up every year so its paramount to get it checked whether you have to move to what your employer prefers, if so whether they would increase the allowance if the rents get increased on the next year.

I mean , your move after all , should be worth it right? It would be of no point if you switch to barely survive and also when you come across your fellow countrymen doing the same job for a better pay, you end up regretting. It's not easy to switch jobs and find a new one with a ripple effect of the oil prices affecting here and there.

I think you could do better than that. I'm a recruiter myself and hope two cents helps :)

Thanks so much for the reply, very useful, and I understand all these reservations as I've had them myself. It seems a huge amount of effort when we'd be initially no better off. I feel underpaid here, given my responsibilities and experience, and would hate to feel that there. However I understand how the deals are pretty low initially to filter out those who are seeking to hit and run. The housing is annual, but not great, I don't want to be stuck in a crazy commute every morning, worried about cash at the end of the month. I have another offer of an interview for a post in Oman, a country I've been to and really liked. Housing included, £3500 monthly. Any thoughts on Oman?

Oman is beautiful, and we'd have gone there over AD given the choice.  Much more relaxed (still crazy driving though) and they've more history.  I have a feeling (don't quote me) that your wife couldn't work there and it's no where near as 'international' so shopping would be more difficult.

Speaking to teachers in international schools, they've said the first couple of years were tough, but now they can save and are enjoying life.