New To Abu Dhabi/UAE

I was recently in the UAE over New Years and had an interview with a prestigious entertainment company for a Project Manager role based in Abu Dhabi. Went very well. Didn't discuss the basic salary (suppose to be soon) however I am realizing things move much slower in that region than they do in Los Angeles where I have been living and working for the last 10 years. They did discuss what would come with: housing allowance, transportation, health insurance, mobile, recreation (whatever that is), flight home a year and a one time moving allowance. Would it also be smart to come out there and post up as opposed to waiting here in states if that is where I want to be??
What I am unsure of though, is what to negotiate for the basic salary that would be going into my bank account? I want to make sure that I am not struggling each month and with this opportunity, that I am capable of putting money away and saving. Any feedback from those who have done this move or could shed some light on  my questions would be great.
Also, what is living in Abu Dhabi like? I only spent a day there and it seemed much more mellow than Dubai. I like to go out on occasion, I surf, enjoy movies, etc...
Thanks!

Things do move very slowly- I accepted a job offer in December 2012 and I'm still waiting for everything to get sorted! Just bear that in mind!

Thanks for the reply Sarah. And wow, they are still sorting after that long a time? Wild! Well I am flying back to Dubai in March, just in time to catch Art Dubai week and start immersing myself more. Heres to the next adventure!