Questions for living in Abu Dhabi

Hi,
I am an American and was offered the following and am not sure what exactly all of this means ie supplemental? . Also, is there anything else I should be inquiring about?

1) DH 10,500 basic salary (is this monthly or yearly?)
2) DH Supplemental allowance (inclusive of all benefits and allowances- what are all benefits and allowances?),
3) DH 90,000 annual housing rental (Is this enough to live on in Abu Dhabi? and if so, what can I get for this?).
4) Medical and dental coverage is through Daman insurance (are they a good company? Does the health insurance cost anything? ),
5) 1 month basic salary for each year of service up to first 3 years, 1 1/2 after that. ( I would guess this is pretty standard?) Do they give bonuses, merit increases, etc?
6) How many days a week do they work there? What is the annual vacation/holiday/ sick time given there?
7) I have not heard about tickets for myself and spouse so I guess I will have to ask.
8) Do they do educational reimbursement if you or your spouse want to further your education on your own time? (That is common practice here in the states.)
9) Do you sign a contract before you go or after you get there?
10) They are asking for certificates of empolyment from old employers. I have never heard of these and am not even sure if they do that here in America. Anyone know?
Thanks in advance. Please send answers ASAP if possible. They want the answers ASAP.
Mary
Thanks in advance for your prompt relpy.

Hi Mary,
The Labour Laws of the UAE contain certain conditions. For example, air fare annually back to home country is to be provided, four weeks holiday a year, all visa/paperwork fees to be paid by the employer. In Abu Dhabi the employer also has to provide medical insurance.

I can answer some of your questions:

The Dh10,500 will be monthly salary (Dirham is pegged to the US$ at 3.678, so that's US2,855 a month).

I'm in Dubai and I'm not sure about rents in Abu Dhabi. You could check the classified ads at www.gulfnews.com.

Whether bonuses etc are given depends on the company, but it's unusual so you'll need to ask them. The same applies to benefits & allowances, you'll need to ask the company to be specific in what they mean.

These days most companies work five day weeks, although some still work the traditional five-and-a-half or six. You'll need to ask them their working hours.

Contract signing varies, some in advance some after you arrive depending on the company.

Usually a company wouldn't reimburse further education fees, but again it varies company to company and some do.

Certificate of employment usually means a letter from the employer stating the period you worked there. A reference letter usually has that info included eg 'Mary worked for us from date to date and...'

As you can see, most of the questions you will need to have answered by the company itself.

Hi
I am moving to Abu Dhabi on 4/4/2008 from London. I can answer your questions:

Salary: I would expect to earn at least 10% more than what you earn back home before tax. Gratuaity is required by law so months salry for every year you work is ok. mine is 10% of my Salary. Also how many days per week will you work?

Accomodation is very expensive, its better to get accomodation than allowance as inflation in this neck of world averages 10%, meaning your rent could up this much every year! My Company has given me 4 bed appartment (with utilities paid for) near Corniche, something like this will cost 250,000 AED plus bills per year.

Flights should be paid for at least once a year.

Education is expensive, $10000 for Primary per year and $12000 for secodary school in UK or US School. My education bill is paid for upto 3 kids by my company £5000 / child.

Health care is important so make sure you guys are covered, visit to GP could cost you $200

There's a story in today's Emirates Business paper about the lack of accommodation in AD. It quotes annual rents as 1-bedroom apartment Dh80,000 to Dh100,000. 2-bed Dh120,000 to Dh150,000.

The article is at http://www.business24-7.ae/cs/article_s … ineID=4172

Hi

I have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi, as a Computer Consultant, with a salary of 8242 Dh (600 KwD) perm month, and i presume accomodation will be taken care of. Is this a good amount. I will have a travelling profile so would be getting an allowance of 650 KwD while travelling. I have no idea of the living conditions there. Please advise.

Thanks

I am considering relocating to Abu Dhabi. I am a RN living in the US. Compared to the US what is the cost of living like.
Thanks

Hi,
Would appreciate any and all reports of  experiences on teaching in Abu- Dhabi.  I taught in Bahrain last year and am wondering if I will be able to:
1. Save Money!!!
2. Travel a little on breaks.
3. afford a gym
4. Eat out or In?  Cost of groceries - are there cheap and healthy Indian, Lebanese and Egyptian  Restaurants-  like  Bahrain?
5 . Are taxis expensive? Do you have to have a car? Is it safe to ride a bike?
6. Are there places to see and  stuff to do within a teacher's budget?