Moving to Abu Dhabi: Is it really worth it?

Hi All,

So it's 3 months away until my girlfriend/soon to be wife and I move to Abu Dhabi. She's accepted a position at Sheik Zayed Private Academy, which will be providing us with a fully furnished 2 bedroom flat, along with beenefits and flights over.

I am leaving a secure position here in Toronto, Canada, but I've come to realize that I need to take a risk if I truely want to make this move.

My question is for anyone that has made the move from their home country, preferrable someone who moved to Abu Dhabu with their partner; was it worth it? We don't want to throw away our future just because my wife cannot find work as a teacher in Canada.

I don't need an answer from someone on what I should do.. I guess I'm just looking for a few positive stories from people who have done the same... Did you guys save as much money as you hoped? Did you feel super isolated? My mind's running a mile0a-minute, and anything you guys can say would help ease this feeling of unknown (if that's even a feeling!)

I would really appreciate to hear what you guys have to say..

Thanks,

Caylen

lol 41 views and no one has 1 personal experience they can share??

It might help if you give an indication of the salary and benefits package you are being offered.

Well you're moving to a tax free country, so if you can't save out here, then I'm afraid you can't really save anywhere else lol. But the question is whether you are prepared to explore what kind of opportunities are available to you out here that you won't have access to when you return home.

I understand the need to be sure, but really quit worrying lol, you'll have a great time out here. ;)

Mohit

pabbm wrote:

Well you're moving to a tax free country, so if you can't save out here, then I'm afraid you can't really save anywhere else lol. But the question is whether you are prepared to explore what kind of opportunities are available to you out here that you won't have access to when you return home.

I understand the need to be sure, but really quit worrying lol, you'll have a great time out here. ;)

Mohit

lol well said Mohit.

I guess it's the unknown that has me second guessing leaving a well paying job, for nothing at the moment. It's a gamble, I just wasn't sure the job opportunities in Abu Dhabi were as plentiful as I've heard they were from some people I've met.

FYI, I work in Marketing and Operations, soI'm hoping it's not too hard to find work!

Thanks for the post!

Sandman6 wrote:

It might help if you give an indication of the salary and benefits package you are being offered.

I don't have one. I'm leaving a secure position here, and waiting until I arive to find work.

Unfortunately, the companies I've contacted do not hire unless I am within the country for a face-to-face interivew (ex. Etihad).

We'll have to wait and see how it works out for me I guess!

I'll send you a private message with my email address, if you want you can send me your CV, and I'll put it in front of a couple of friends of mine who are recruitment consultants out here, hopefully they can find something you like. When are you looking to arrive here?

Mohit

You obviously must have looked at the financial picture, as in the comparison between what your wife is going to make and what you're earning now. Let's face it: The primary motivation for coming to work in Abu Dhabi (or anywhere in the Mid-East) is probably money, since it sure ain't the scenery, and not likely the culture either - unless you're a historian or fascinated with how people have survived in extreme climates.

Your concern about finding work is a valid one, and IMO should be looked at very carefully, unless you are indifferent about whether or not you will work here. The recent regional economic situation is NOT very healthy. Although Abu Dhabi has managed to hold out longer than the rest of the UAE on the strength of its oil and cash reserves, the cascading effect of the failure or suspension of dozens of major development programs and projects (yes, even in Abu Dhabi) has impacted much of the local workplace. It is no longer the case that companies are hiring anything that can breathe for any amount of money - even government bodies are trimming staff.

So your work prospects are going to be somewhat constrained, and largely dependent on the industry you're in, as well as the usual criteria which include your credentials and your age. Assuming you are below 50 and are in possession of degrees in your field you may have a fighting chance - but be aware that there is pretty intense competition for work here at the moment, with people from poorer countries often getting preference over westerners, other criteria being met equally (and sometimes not). If your area of expertise is unique to the west, you have a better shot.

Is it worth it? In balance, I'd say yes - if you attach a high value to experiencing a very different lifestyle. On the surface, Abu Dhabi has most of what western cities have to offer, in terms of the availability of goods and services. It is possible to live within the veneer of western society, and to find enjoyment in the rather sparse social environment. You have no doubt learned that the social scene, in the typical, urban western sense, is mostly contained in the shopping malls and hotels. If your idea of a good time includes alcohol, western music and dancing you will be spending that time in hotels or homes.

Getting to know Emiraties doesn't happen that easily but if you want to find out what's really going on here under the "skin", it's kinda necessary. Your wife's role sounds like a good avenue for making those kind of connections, since she will probably be rubbing elbows with the locals.

I can go on and on describing both positive and negative aspects of the UAE scene (and there's plenty of both - like anywhere) - but I'll stop and point you to my blog at http://howdwegetintothishandbasketanyway.blogspot.com/ for some anecdotal experiences.

To wrap up: If the basic criteria (finances, etc.) are OK, then go for it! I wouldn't have missed the experiences I've had nor time I've spent here over the past 3.5 years, and would do it again in a minute, given the chance.

CobySmolens wrote:

You obviously must have looked at the financial picture, as in the comparison between what your wife is going to make and what you're earning now. Let's face it: The primary motivation for coming to work in Abu Dhabi (or anywhere in the Mid-East) is probably money, since it sure ain't the scenery, and not likely the culture either - unless you're a historian or fascinated with how people have survived in extreme climates.

Your concern about finding work is a valid one, and IMO should be looked at very carefully, unless you are indifferent about whether or not you will work here. The recent regional economic situation is NOT very healthy. Although Abu Dhabi has managed to hold out longer than the rest of the UAE on the strength of its oil and cash reserves, the cascading effect of the failure or suspension of dozens of major development programs and projects (yes, even in Abu Dhabi) has impacted much of the local workplace. It is no longer the case that companies are hiring anything that can breathe for any amount of money - even government bodies are trimming staff.

So your work prospects are going to be somewhat constrained, and largely dependent on the industry you're in, as well as the usual criteria which include your credentials and your age. Assuming you are below 50 and are in possession of degrees in your field you may have a fighting chance - but be aware that there is pretty intense competition for work here at the moment, with people from poorer countries often getting preference over westerners, other criteria being met equally (and sometimes not). If your area of expertise is unique to the west, you have a better shot.

Is it worth it? In balance, I'd say yes - if you attach a high value to experiencing a very different lifestyle. On the surface, Abu Dhabi has most of what western cities have to offer, in terms of the availability of goods and services. It is possible to live within the veneer of western society, and to find enjoyment in the rather sparse social environment. You have no doubt learned that the social scene, in the typical, urban western sense, is mostly contained in the shopping malls and hotels. If your idea of a good time includes alcohol, western music and dancing you will be spending that time in hotels or homes.

Getting to know Emiraties doesn't happen that easily but if you want to find out what's really going on here under the "skin", it's kinda necessary. Your wife's role sounds like a good avenue for making those kind of connections, since she will probably be rubbing elbows with the locals.

I can go on and on describing both positive and negative aspects of the UAE scene (and there's plenty of both - like anywhere) - but I'll stop and point you to my blog at http://howdwegetintothishandbasketanyway.blogspot.com/ for some anecdotal experiences.

To wrap up: If the basic criteria (finances, etc.) are OK, then go for it! I wouldn't have missed the experiences I've had nor time I've spent here over the past 3.5 years, and would do it again in a minute, given the chance.

Wow lol That's the kind of detail I like!

That was more or less what I was looking for.. A rough idea what the current job market is like.. To be fair, I'm currently employed as a Marketing & Servicing manager here in Toronto, Canada for one of the largest financial instituions, so it's difficult to say if my position is one that would be in demand within the UAE.

Our current situation is a bit tricky, as my wife is a teacher, and in Canada, teachers cannot find work. To put it in perspective, within Ontario (the providence in which I reside), 11,000 teachers applied for positions last year, and only 500 were hired... This has been ongoing for 2 years with no improvement.. So, my wife and I figured that with the financial benefits Abu Dhabi has to offer, we might as well give it a try..

I'll be honest, I'm nervous/anxious as hell considering I'm leaving a secure position for an unknown, but i figure you only live once, so why the hell not? Aside from that, I'm only 27 with a fair amount of experience within the industry, so hopefully my age benefits me somewhat..

My mind is running a mile-a-minute, so I apologize if my post is a bit scattered..

Thanks again for your guidance and advice.

-Caylen

Caylen -

Just to re-empahsize, I'd recommend hooking up with some of the head-hunting sites (Monster.com, Bayt.com, NaukriGulf.com), uploading your CV, and seeing what kind of hits you get. If you get a bunch of interest back, in the form of responses other than automated replies, you probably have a good shot at finding something here. If you're under 50 and have the creds (degrees), you're probably in good shape.

Or if you're just ready for a change of scene and the financial thing is not a major driver - come on over! Especially since accomodation (the biggest single expense here in Abu Dhabi) is being provided as part of your wife's package, you'll probably be fine either way (whether you're working or not). And eventually, without the pressure on you to earn - so you'll have plenty of time to hunt for work - you find something of your own to do.

I'd also recommend a visit first, if you can manage it, just to get a feeling for the environment, climate and general scene. We're getting into the "warm" season now, with temps regularly between 42 and 50C, and it's good to feel that you can really handle that (probably meaning spending a LOT of time in AC). My wife couldn't deal with it - she's an outdoor person and loves the heat, but being outdoors offers a fairly limited palette of activities in the late spring-summer-fall months - so she elected not to move here.

Oh, and I neglected to mention in my last post the cultural offerings here do also include grand-scale mega-concerts (Madonna will be here in June, and I've seen Beyonce, Eric Clapton and Cold Play) in the more temperate season...

Cheers,
Coby

I'm considering teaching at Sheik Zayed Private Academy for next year. Would you mind telling me what kind of package your wife got? I'm from Toronto and I've got 3 years of teaching experience in Beirut, Lebanon. I think living in the UAE will be a very interesting experience. I myself love the Middle East, despite the news we hear.

Man, I'm sorry, I can't really help as far as packages are concerned, outside my own industry. I know as much as anyone does about living here, having lived here for the brief time (3.5 years) I've been here. Best thing is to try to connect with other people who are in the same business.

Good luck, and best wishes!

Coby

Colby,

Thanks for all the guidance! Although I've been looking high and low, applying to many positions, I think it may just come to me having to find something once I'm out there. I do get the feeling that the corporations seeking marketers typically do not wish to interview and hire from abroad, unless perhaps I was a VP or Director.

Anyway, I hope it all works out in the end... Either way, I'll be heading over in 2 months!!

a.sidani wrote:

I'm considering teaching at Sheik Zayed Private Academy for next year. Would you mind telling me what kind of package your wife got? I'm from Toronto and I've got 3 years of teaching experience in Beirut, Lebanon. I think living in the UAE will be a very interesting experience. I myself love the Middle East, despite the news we hear.

I believe it's 13,000 AED/month + 2 bedroom fully furnished flat + annual flight home + benefits. From what I hear, the apartments provided are outstanding!

Keep in mind you can make more as a teacher in Abu Dhabi, but you won't be "teaching" technically. You could seeke mployment with ADEC, but teaching at their schools would be similar to babysitting/daycare. Sheik Zayed Private Academy is an international school with great resources and an outstanding curriculum.. We have friends who teach at ADEC, and they've ever been asked to supply their own paper/pens.. NOT the best working enviroment, and really doesn't help your careers..

If you need anything else, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to help!

Hi there...i didnt read the other posts so forgive me if this hasbeen mentioned already. They are constantly changing the laws here. I recently found out that a woman cannot sponsor her husband. You should definately look into this. I think that means you can come here together but you have to find a job and they will sponsor you. My boss who is a woman brought her husband and two kids here to find this out. I never followed up with her to see what came of it but I know it has been super hectic trying to smooth things out for her. In the end her husband did find a job.

Abu Dhabi is a great city. But for the most part things just dont make sense and living here you wonder how in the hell are things actually pulled off. Yes you can save money but you need to be careful about where and what you buy as things here are more expensive. When I first got here I walked out of a salon having payed 750 Dirhams for highlights and a haircut so your wife will have to do some price shopping. I now am happy with a salon that changes less than half that. There are good sites that offer coupons for everything you can imagine in abu dhabi......Cobone, Living Social, Go Nabit, Yellow Banana....and you can buy most of your furniture and anything else gently used on Dubizzle.com.

The mystique of this place is part of the ilusion....think of it as a desert mirage....it looks stunningly appealing until you arrive to find its not what you thought at all....unless youre vacationing here and then it would be amazing.....but I live here!....nine months....married w/ two kids.

It is an adventure. Since you two arent tied down with kids there are great things to do here for fun. Lots of clubs, excursions, events. There's a good magazine called Time Out Abu Dhabi that has weekly events going on.

Good luck. I can always answer more questions if you have them.

cwilde wrote:

We have friends who teach at ADEC, and they've ever been asked to supply their own paper/pens.. NOT the best working enviroment, and really doesn't help your careers..

If you need anything else, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to help!

What else can you tell me about ADEC?  I was just offered a job with them, and would love to know more.

12 years in the UAE and came up with nothing , I just had a good time spent living well satisfying all the needs of a good life style.

LOOk if you want to work in the UAE you have read all what other said but none has mention the effect of the weather and its restrains where you will be exhausted by it and need to triple your purchases of juice and energy drinks and bee, your food bill will also increase for the same reason cause there are not much outdoors in hot weather and in good weather they will all suck the cash you worked for with night clubbing and from mall shopping to coffee shops , shisha and so on ,even sport clubs are very expensive so leisure is there to the utmost and the choices are endless and you will not be able to resist it and of course it is costly and rest of what you save will go to traffic fines and other fines you will be introduced to it I am sure.

this is one way to do it or,,.... you could just sit at you free given home watch TV  a corrupt you self confidence and moral with cheap food and lots of water wearing cheap brands and eating home food.

at the end living in abu dhabi can be any way you want it could be very enjoyable and easy but thats it or the other way around i have friends who are in credit card debt for more than 8 banks and working to pay the interest only and stay out of prison

interesting !

We have been here for 8 years. This has become our home. But always keep in mind. No job is secure. We never sold anything back home. Because we have seen it over and over again. Some people cant settle in a muslim country. We loved it and came with a positive mind. We did save money and that was our goal. But if you dont discipline yourself you could have plenty fun and go home empty handed. Uae is not a cheap country and if it wasn't for our country implementing a 45% tax. We would have stayed on. Hope that answer your question.

Recently in the UAE launched a new service to find real estate for rent https://moveincat.com/ (for agents and tenants)

The principle is simple: create a request, specify your budget, type of real estate and the date of entry. After that agents will send options that meet the requirements. Service is absolutely FREE

Of the minuses - currently there is no mobile version: (