Chilcare in Malta.

Hey,
could someone give me some information on childcare in Malta? I am moving there in the summer and will be working full time. My son will be 5. I will need childcare for after school and school holidays. What kind of price would this cost??
Any info would be a great help.
Thanks.

Hi,

are you planning to send your child to state school (kindergarten) or private?

Most school finish between 2-2.30pm, state schools started to introduce breakfast clubs (1 hour before the normal classes start), but no after school care. Most of the private schools offer after school club/ activities, etc for extra fee. The schools I know charge around 3 Eur/hour on top of the normal fees and the children can stay till 4.30-5 pm.
Most of the private schools also have summer schools/camps but they finish around 2 pm, they are open to everyone not just the children who are enrolled to school.

If you are looking for a babysitter/nanny the hourly fee is around 5 Eur, of course if you will employ someone full time then the monthly salary might be different.

jtruf90 wrote:

Hey,
could someone give me some information on childcare in Malta? I am moving there in the summer and will be working full time. My son will be 5. I will need childcare for after school and school holidays. What kind of price would this cost??
Any info would be a great help.
Thanks.

Hi, the F.E.S. (foundation of education services) provide after school club.
most colleges will have one in your catchment area. If not, transport can be sorted. They provide childcare all throughout school days and holidays. After school is provided with teachers who will help with homework. All school holidays and half day/teacher training days are covered.
The cost is 1.20 per hour, although there are consessions for lower incomes, reducing it down to as low as 30cents/hour.

It is an excellent and invaluble service!
Caroline

Hi, thank you for the link and info.

I am going to question our school's administration and head why they never mentioned this option before?  I kept asking about after school club and summer childcare and never told me about this option.
Not that I can really imagine that my 3 and 6 yo would take a bus after school to go to and other strange place :)

Hi Pevi,

I am not sure about your area but for example; Mosta did not have a club 3-16 a couple of years back, so a mini bus for all the kids would take them to St. Paul's, it was properly organised. Now Mosta has one, in fact, I believe all areas have one.
St. Paul's has over 100 children attend after school and nearly 250 children in summer. The demand is high and they are starting new centres all the time.

It is a good service and for me/us on here, provides non Maltese speaking children with fully qualified teachers to help with the Maltese/religion and social studies homework (all in Maltese.) Without it, my children would struggle.

Caroline

Edit; The map looks out of date as I know that Mellieha and Floriana have one, so it might be worth contacting them to see about St.Clare's College

Hi,

thanks again.

My children go to St Clare College, so I am going to find out.

Evi

my cons goes also to st claire col (sadly, not in same class as pevis son) and I DID ASKED in school about some after school activities or anything similar and they told that their is nothing

just great

pevi if you find somethign out before me, please share here ;)

Hi guys, I asked the cordinator of St. Paul's and they seem to think there is one in St. Andrews and San Gwann?

If transport is not provided from your school, maybe you two could look into private minibus after school? Around my way, it is 100 euro per term/child for a 2 way school trip, So it might not be too bad for you.

Caroline

Found this