Childcare costs

Hi there!

I have a baby on the way and was wondering about the costs of childcare in Malta.
My husband works full time, but as I'm a freelancer registered in my home country, I'm considered unemployed here. Which means, I guess, that we cannot benefit from the Free Childcare Scheme...

Any concrete idea of how much childcare would cost for an infant?

Sorry if the question has already been asked, but I can't seem to find a clear answer...

Thanks, everyone!

As my first is on the way, I've been doing a little digging myself and discussing with my wife. I think a super concrete answer would vary from each individual business, but from what I can find, looking at around 250 euro a month on average if you aren't eligible for the government scheme.

Sources:

http://www.easyexpat.com/en/guides/malt … itting.htmhttp://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/natio … k888PmPKUk

out of scheme we were priced:

3 / week EUR475 for 3 months
5 / week EUR600 for 3 months.

While we qualify for the scheme I'll pay because if you are on the scheme you have no flexibility, they get paid by the government by the hour of childcare and they budget so that kids are there certain hours vs how many salaries they have to pay. 

So you dont get to take your kid out say if you just want to go visit grandma mid term, the kind of thing that happens with 2 year olds and expats.

but if you pay they dont care.

Thank you so much, that's a huge help!
And when would you recommend to apply for a childcare? I'm from France and there we have to book waaayyyy before the birth (sometimes even before you know you're pregnant!) because most of the childcares are completely overcrowded...

volcane: I didn't know about the flexibility issue, that would have been a big problem indeed... Thanks again!

It depends where you live.

The one we will go to have 3 branches - 1 of the branches is booked up for 2 years, they luckily opened a new one walking distance from my house and we got in on their new list so it was easy.

So basically you will find if you want to go to say one of the montesori ones, lol booked up way in advance, others not - as anything in Malta if its popular everyone uses it and it sux for everyone :P