Registering a birth in Malta

Hi,

About to have a baby or already had children? Let's share your experience about the paperworks for registering a birth in Malta.

What are the formalities to obtain a birth certificate?

What is the procedure to follow if both parents are of the same nationality or for a mixed couple?

Thank you in advance for participating,

David

My wife was born on Malta but she was so young she can't remember.
Sorry :)

You will be given a form that has been completed by the hospital. Then you go down to the Evans building, back of ID card, 3rd floor. I think you have 5 days to do it, which was hard for me as I had a c-section. I think I may have phoned to explain.

You sre then issued with a certificate.

* BE WARNED.... MIDDLE NAMES ARE GIVEN WHEN BAPTISED, NOT ON BIRTH CERTIFICATE*

The first birth I registered, I gave the names Mia and Helen. They now think her name is Mia Helen.

This means she has to sign her name and legal documents etc as Mia Helen. I have stopped the school from calling her Mia Helen.

The second child I registered, I have her middle names official on record but (after some confusion,) left the middle names off the certificate.

As soon as you have the certificate, you can claim childrens allowence.

Certificates are 2.50 each and you can get as many copies, whenever you like.

The ID number for the child will be the birth certificate number, followed by (L)

Having multiple first names out here certainly does cause problems. I have three and have been referred to by a number of various combinations. John is my first one and I don't like that to be used but here I have no real choice. I would imagine that hyphenated family names would cause a headache too.
Another issue that causes issues is when a woman does not take the name of their husband's family upon marriage and continues to use her own.

1)  Are you receiving (€450.00) Children's Allowance? / Application forms:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=293083

2)  Are you pregnant or have you recently had a baby?

If you are a non-Maltese EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, you may be eligible for Maternity Benefit from the Maltese Government or Maternity Leave Benefits from your place of employment:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280518

3)  Register your children and infants as household occupants with ARMS Ltd. and save money:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=274440https://www.smartutilities.com.mt/wps/w … OD=AJPERES

Also, I may add, if you are married but seperated and have a baby with your new partner, you MUST take the surname of you husband and register him as the father!

There is a way round it, through courts, very expensive and very lengthy.

They do have a 300 day rule, if your ex husband has been out of the country for more than 300 days, you can go to court to sort it, agai, very expensive and lots of stress!

As a midwife (in UK) I always gave that information to my mums. Can you not ask a local midwife to tell you? They surely must have up to date information?

This thread was started by a Team member to stimulate discussion, not a member's question. Hence my first response :)

I too was born in Malta and actually had 5 names (honestly) In fact what I have always been known as is not one of them!! The confusion is just as bad in UK, so I don't think it is just Malta on official stuff!

chinooks wrote:

I too was born in Malta and actually had 5 names (honestly) In fact what I have always been known as is not one of them!! The confusion is just as bad in UK, so I don't think it is just Malta on official stuff!

Well in UK all names are on Birth Certificate.
In Malta only the first is, so I would say there is a heck of a difference and a lot more confusion. It's just another cultural difference though :)

Nice to know, we are also expecting our first child to be born in November :)

Will make sure that I dont put 2 forenames into the form.

Thanks.

michael78 wrote:

Nice to know, we are also expecting our first child to be born in November :)

Will make sure that I dont put 2 forenames into the form.

Thanks.

Yes, make sure you do. It took me 6 years to find out why my daughter was being called Mia Helen!!!

When it is printed on things, it doesn't look so bad but when she is being called for something it sounds strange....Can you imagine if she had more than one middle name!!!

Maybe so Redmik. My husband tells me to "shut up" if I try and explain I am aka another name! haha.... So I have learnt to shut up and do just that. lol