Child benefit.

Hi Guys , just wondering what if any child benefit is available to EU parents who have moved to Malta ? - I'm sure there will be some qualifying period involved and possibly residence requirements but just wondering the what's and if's etc ?
Cheers
Fergie.

Hi,
I can only talk about the rules from about 3 years ago, so they could have changed and even then it took a lot of digging. Childrens Allowence is paid every 3 months here. It is similar to the tax credit in the UK as in, it is means tested on the previous years income. The tax year in Malta goes from Jan to Dec. Every child in any EU country is entitled to a chidrens benifit, you can't claim in 2 countries. I did not need to be a resident to have it as it is the child's right. You apply in April/May. You might be able to apply when you arrive but maybe not paid until the next payment due but it is backdated. You will need to show your UK bank details, savings etc and p60/p45 for the last couple of tax years. I think the treshold is about 12,000 euro a year. The maximum amount is around 300 euro per child per 3 months.

Hope this helps

https://secure3.gov.mt/socialpolicy/soc … fo_ca_less

https://secure3.gov.mt/socialpolicy/admin/contentlibrary/Uploads/MediaFile/child_ben_payment_dates.pdf

https://secure3.gov.mt/socialpolicy/adm … _dates.pdf

I reckon is still as coxf0001 explained. I have also applied for my son's child benefit over 2 months ago, and they have asked pretty much the same stuff as coxf0001 mentioned. I still did not get anything as yet, but hopefully, they might send it shortly. The parent also has to confirm that the child is not claiming benefit on any other country.

My advice would be to go to one of the different Social Security offices here, and make an inquire, they will the able to explain how it works and what sort of paperwork is needed.

Cheerio,
Antonio

Re: ‘………The parent also has to confirm that the child is not claiming benefit in any other country…….'

The European Commission has been crystal clear regarding this aspect of the issue:

‘…..they (the Maltese authorities) should not require an official document from the authorities of the country of origin confirming that the claimant does not receive any family benefits there, as this request and investigation shall be done via the mutual cooperation between the involved competent institutions ….'

In addition, on 17th April, 2013, Radek Casta of the European Commission formally informed me as follows:

‘………….On the other hand, the Maltese institution should not require from you additional factual information or certificates which are not necessary and/or not required from Maltese nationals in the same situation.

Also necessary information from the other Member State should be in principle obtained via mutual cooperation and information exchange between national competent institutions.'

Best regards,

Radek CASTA

Radek.CASTA(at)ec.europa.eu

European Commission

Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion Directorate-General
Free Movement of Workers, Coordination of Social Security Schemes -
unit EMPL B.4
mail: J-54 2/115, B-1049 Brussels

Moreover, please see - Are you receiving (€450.00) Children's Allowance? / Application forms:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 83#1430593

Hi Byron49,

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, in my personal case, when I applied for my son's child benefit, they have requested a doc (which I have printed out from the Portuguese Social Security website) showing how much my son was getting from the Portuguese government. They also told me I had to contact them to request for his PT child benefit to be ceased.

To be honest, I think that the government institutions here in Malta, are not all aware of the countries laws and rules. But anyway, it's done now and let's see what's gonna happen in the near future. I also read your other post and again, thanks for the up to date information provided.

Cheerio,
Antonio

I have received the following information about the child allowance application from the principal for the Childrens Allowance Section about 2 months ago.

You will also need to provide the following:

1)      Signed declaration showing date of cohabitation

2)      Copy of boarding passes for the whole family showing date of arrival in Malta

3)      Official document from abroad confirming the exact date up to when you received children's allowance from abroad

4)      Official documents showing income earned during 2011

5)      Official documents showing income earned during 2012

6)      If child was born abroad kindly provide a copy of birth certificate, if child was registered at the public registry in Malta there is no need of birth certificate copy.

The original applications can be handed in either at your nearest district office or you can send them directly to the

Childrens Allowance Section

Department of Social Security

St. Francis Square,

Victoria, Gozo VCT 1335

Pevi,

It shouldn't be so much hassle but it is in Malta, I've jumped through hoops, argued 'til I am blue in the face and then, suddenly, one day, it fits into place. You run around, from department to depatment, with the law probably changing inbetween and then it gets sorted, it will happen and it will all be back dated!! Keep going!
Caroline

Hi pevi,

Same documents have been requested to me a part of number 2. They only asked me to write a piece of paper and sign it stating the dates of our arrival here in Malta.

pevi wrote:

I have received the following information about the child allowance application from the principal for the Childrens Allowance Section about 2 months ago.

You will also need to provide the following:

1)      Signed declaration showing date of cohabitation

2)      Copy of boarding passes for the whole family showing date of arrival in Malta

3)      Official document from abroad confirming the exact date up to when you received children's allowance from abroad

4)      Official documents showing income earned during 2011

5)      Official documents showing income earned during 2012

6)      If child was born abroad kindly provide a copy of birth certificate, if child was registered at the public registry in Malta there is no need of birth certificate copy.

The original applications can be handed in either at your nearest district office or you can send them directly to the

Childrens Allowance Section

Department of Social Security

St. Francis Square,

Victoria, Gozo VCT 1335

Dear pevi,

I recommend you forward this information about the child allowance application from the principal for the Childrens Allowance Section to: 

Radek CASTA

Radek.CASTA(at)ec.europa.eu

European Commission

Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion Directorate-General
Free Movement of Workers, Coordination of Social Security Schemes -
unit EMPL B.4
mail: J-54 2/115, B-1049 Brussels

Thank you all for your advice.
Funnily I was actually trying to find out something else, but in my email I explained that we have 2 children, so my inquiry was forwarded to Children Allowance Department ( but I never received an answer to my original question. typical Malta , I think:))

Honestly I have not applied for the children allowance yet and I am not sure that we will, not just the hassle, but I have not made up my mind about it.

pevi wrote:

Honestly I have not applied for the children allowance yet and I am not sure that we will, not just the hassle, but I have not made up my mind about it.

I think that's the whole point.... You get fed up with the application and give up.
Apart from some of the extra paperwork we, as expats need, many of my Maltese friends don't bother to apply...Too much poking into their income probably. There must be so much unclaimed money.

It's not just Malta where there are difficulties in completing and applying for Benefits. I used to work with young people and you should see how difficult it was to get them Job Seeker's and other benefits. Bearing in mind most of those I worked with were estranged from their parents, lacked literacy skills and just didn't have the skills to understand let alone complete the applications, some of which were over 28 pages in length!
I and many of my colleagues had difficulty completing those applications. Then of course, we had those who had exceptional needs and/or did not fit the defined categories of applicants and Benefits Agency Staff could not understand or make decisions so lengthy interviews, gradually moving up the hierarchy of decision makers and repeating the stories meant very lengthy delays whilst in the meantime the applicants suffered.
I am convinced that all Governments put obstacles in the way of those who need the most by making processes tedious and complicated. They hope that applicants will just go away or worse.

Yes Mick, I believe it is worse/same in the UK.

It would be interesting to know if other EU countries have a means tested Child Benefit. Up until I left the UK, Child Benefit was for everyone who had a child, even the Queen was entitled. It was automatic and everyone got the same amount.

This was introduced in the uK in 1946, probably to increase birth rate after WW2. There are some who would argue that this is no longer relevant and should be withdrawn as the responsibility to have children or not should lie with parent's and their ability to finance their children.

I remember there being talks about it a few years back.
I think though, that all EU countries give a similar benifit as I was told here, that it is an EU, child right, to have it? Maybe they were talking about the right to have it here? It's why I didn't have to be a resident (at the time) to get it?

redmik wrote:

This was introduced in the uK in 1946, probably to increase birth rate after WW2. There are some who would argue that this is no longer relevant and should be withdrawn as the responsibility to have children or not should lie with parent's and their ability to finance their children.

interesting last sentence - ability to finance their family.... not going to happen anytime soon - children currently equates to free cash for thousands......sad but true...

We lived for 10 years in Czech Republic before moving to Malta. It was mean tested there as well. It is about 20-25 EUR/child depending on the age of child. Only families are eligible whose income does not exceed 2.4 times the subsistence minimum. The subsistence minimum in 2013 in CR for a family with 2 children under 6 is about 400 EUR/month.

pevi wrote:

We lived for 10 years in Czech Republic before moving to Malta. It was mean tested there as well. It is about 20-25 EUR/child depending on the age of child. Only families are eligible whose income does not exceed 2.4 times the subsistence minimum. The subsistence minimum in 2013 in CR for a family with 2 children under 6 is about 400 EUR/month.

and I thought the wages were bad here!

toonarmy9752 wrote:
redmik wrote:

interesting last sentence - ability to finance their family.... not going to happen anytime soon - children currently equates to free cash for thousands......sad but true...

Do you not think this is a catch 22 situation....If there was no money for single parents, then perhaps the number of lone parents would reduce, as kids would not have more kids for money BUT, then the lone parents, who did have children, who were able to finance their family, who then found themselves in situations, that meant they could no longer (and there are many reasons and many thousands,) support without help?

Child benifits, don't add up to much but it does help with the small things....

the small things being children...lol

toonarmy9752 wrote:

the small things being children...lol

:D

OK thanks guys, the general vibe I'm getting is that although possible and most certainly entitled ......the process could be long , drawn out and thoroughly painful !!! - one to hand over to my wife I think !!!:)

welcome to malta........  process could be long , drawn out and thoroughly painful !!!THE NORM.

I went to the Social security office in Victoria a few months ago to apply for Child Allowance. I was given the forms to fill in, which were all in Maltese so I asked my accountant friend for help with them. I took the required paper work back to the office, it was all photocopied and then I was told it would be about 2 months before I heard anything.
Still waiting but not too bothered as it is back dated to when the application was made.
But have since found the forms online in English!

Something is better than nothing, I work part time and  pay NI here so would be nice to have something back.

Sparkie wrote:

I went to the Social security office in Victoria a few months ago to apply for Child Allowance. I was given the forms to fill in, which were all in Maltese so I asked my accountant friend for help with them. I took the required paper work back to the office, it was all photocopied and then I was told it would be about 2 months before I heard anything.
Still waiting but not too bothered as it is back dated to when the application was made.
But have since found the forms online in English!

Something is better than nothing, I work part time and  pay NI here so would be nice to have something back.

The next payment is due on the first Sat in October...If you don't get it by then, then the next payment is the first Sat in Jan.... I got 2 years back dated once!

The minimum rate of children's allowance €450 per child per annum:

Source:

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ses.447285