Breastfeeding in Malta

Hi all,

We may well be moving to Malta in the new year. I have a 3 yr old and 9 month old. I'm breastfeeding the baby and I was wondering what the social attitudes are like out there to breastfeeding. Ive always been very happy to breastfeed in the UK. I know its protected by Law and Ive fed both kids where ever they needed feeding. I just want to check it isn't massively taboo or anything over there or its going to make life pretty difficult.

thanks xx

It never ceases to amaze me why this subject is so taboo! It's natural but I guess some men, seem to think it's something else.
I haven't read of any negative issues regarding this. I have noticed that breast feeding is positively encouraged by many health professionals here.

Hi, I breast fed 2 of my children here and never had a problem with feeding in public. I'm not sure about the laws here though. The hospital names their baby changing rooms as breast feeding rooms.

I only had one problem here and that was with a health care worker! At my youngest child's 6 week check, she was on the 30% centile line and they told me I had to start bottle feeding.

Being my 3rd child and very confident in feeding, I pointed out calmly that she is a pink, healthy, chubby baby. That the charts were based on bottle fed babies who uniformally put on weight and are outdated. There were no signs that she wasn't getting enough. Their argument was she would never get use to a bottle if I didn't start now. I explained that she would never need a bottle and I took my baby off her and told them all in the room that I was dissapointed in their attitude, shame on them.
Had I been a first time mum, I would have paniced.

Apart from that, no problems!

One thing that we do notice here (and I write this with respect)  is that the Maltese always seem to know best and will tell you how to do everything correctly (their way) even if you don't want to. This applies to very personal preferences, Lynn being told how she must have her hair rather than the way she wanted. (Go elsewhere now.)
We had a quiche baked for Lynn the other day and had to listen to a 5 minute lecture on how to slice it correctly!! It can be quite endearing but sometimes..............!!!

Yes Mick, I agree 100% and over the years I have learned to smile, say thank you, even do what they suggest, then get home and change it!

It especially notices when you have children, where complete strangers will stop you in the street to sometimes rudely tell you and then actually do it for you, wrap them up, take off clothes, talk to them (telling them off,) and other such things!

However, health care proffesionals need to understand that, their out of date advice can be damaging if you are an unexperienced person.

coxf0001 wrote:

It especially notices when you have children, where complete strangers will stop you in the street to sometimes rudely tell you and then actually do it for you, wrap them up, take off clothes, talk to them (telling them off,) and other such things!

That was very true in Germany, where my daughter was born.
I used to carry her in one of those baby slings on my chest. Now, THAT used to cause some comments!!! Everywhere we went we used to gather a following :)

Lol, I think it must just be us (UK.) I think we tend to keep ourselves to ourselves more.
I do remember once, being told by a neighbour, that I should have a couple of shots of whiskey before I fed my baby, so that she would sleep at night lol!

WE do the slings thing too Red :), We don't have a pram and I always carry my daughter, I carried my son until he was 2 and then we got a stroller.  Carrying still draws a bit of a crowd even in the UK but its starting to become more popular. I find it really convenient for getting in and out of shops etc.

Cox, sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad you weren't a first time mum!

Great, I will start as I mean to go on then from a feeding point of view. I was hoping moving to 'Europe' might make it less of a taboo as even in the UK there are certain sections of the population who seem to view public feeding very unfavourably (akin to sex or using the toilet). On the whole though Ive found when feeding both of my kids and never shying away (ive fed in car forcourts  and aeroplanes, restaurants, at theme parks etc etc), that people have been very supportive and its good to know the law is on your side.

I just don't want to immediately put my foot in it, if you know what I mean, without knowing what my rights are (And my babies rights) and the cultural norms.

Thanks both for letting me know what its been like for you.

Hello Corrin,
There is a massive move in Malta to improve breastfeeding rates so go for it!!!
I am a midwife who has spent many years promoting breastfeeding (and teaching) in UK. I will be moving to Malta (house sale permitting) in January.
x

I feel you should say something as there is a massive move to improve breastfeeding rates in Malta. It is a shame if one health professional has outdated information.
Mention The UNICEF Baby Friendly initiative.
It is a global initiative and one of the main points on it is education of health professionals.
I am a midwife and in my earlier years, I gave advice on personal experience as no one taught us research based facts.
I ended up training and teaching health professionals, mothers and breastfeeding peer supporters.

chinooks wrote:

I feel you should say something as there is a massive move to improve breastfeeding rates in Malta. It is a shame if one health professional has outdated information.
Mention The UNICEF Baby Friendly initiative.
It is a global initiative and one of the main points on it is education of health professionals.
I am a midwife and in my earlier years, I gave advice on personal experience as no one taught us research based facts.
I ended up training and teaching health professionals, mothers and breastfeeding peer supporters.

I was on the Baby Friendly Initiative review panal, as a mother in the UK. I also ran a breastfeeding support group. I tried to get involved when I first moved here 10 years ago but I was told there was only one clinic and that was run by midwifes. I don't know if that has changed.
I was once told that the hospital IS baby friendly but I haven't seen the logo around?
She was an old women that was talking to me but that's still no excuse. On the other hand, the post op (c-section,) care when I came out of hospital was done by a (religious) sister. I don't know what they are called, the are qualified. She was great and up to date with techniques. As far as health proffesionals in the hospital go, my first birth here was awful, there was no rooming in, they insisted that they take my baby away so I rested. I was screaming at them in the end to bring her back and it was an English midwife that cottened on to why I wanted her back but that was after 6 hours! But yet, after my section, they put me on my side to make it easier for the first feed, which didn't happen with the birth of my son in the UK.
The second time round and in the new hospital, they have no nursery as such, so by default my baby was left with me, so I really don't think they are baby friendly.

I do know they are trying from things I have heard. Yes they are slow as everything is in Malta. But they have sent midwives to UK to get ideas

This is a really interesting thread. From the toddler groups that I  have been to since coming over here in July, I would say I've seen several Mums feeding and no one has batted an eyelid ! Good luck & I hope you manage your move over  here x

Would love to meet up when I come to Malta (hopefully in January) because I too ran some breastfeeding groups here until quite recently. I was very grateful when mums help run the groups. Did you do your Baby Friendly training? Where in UK were you? Had you achieved full accreditation?

chinooks wrote:

Would love to meet up when I come to Malta (hopefully in January) because I too ran some breastfeeding groups here until quite recently. I was very grateful when mums help run the groups. Did you do your Baby Friendly training? Where in UK were you? Had you achieved full accreditation?

I did a course, ran by the support group to become a 'Bosom Buddie' I would then team up with a mum to help and support through the group. I started my breastfeeding councelling before I left the UK but never carried on over here.

Our local hospital in Salisbury was in the process of getting accreditation, which is why I was on the panal, as a spokes person for mums. I am sure by now that they have acieved this (it was 11 years ago!)

I give help and advise sometimes on a facebook page for Maltese mums, the most recent being a mum wanting to know if she had enough milk, as her baby was 6 weeks and feeding like mad, bless her.

It will be nice to meet up, I am very pasionate about feeding!

Caroline

Brilliant. Sounds great. I really look forward to seeing you and maybe starting something together???
Next week is crucial for us. Hopefully we exchange and then it is all systems go.
Please keep in touch. At the moment we aim to be there towards end of Jan.

Yes great. I am a bit busy doing a degree in dental hygiene at the moment but I get most of the summer off. I also have connections with public health. It is the dental side but even so. I would love to get back into it. I fed 3 babies for over a year and have so much to offer. I use to organise awareness events and helped my local town to be breastfeeding friendly by doing a survey around the cafes and restaraunts. If they qualified with their attitudes toward feeding in public, they were given a sticker to display and their place would be advertised in local news letters given to mums at the hospital.
I'll help in anyway to encourage mums to feed and help them in what are sometimes, very dark and lonely times!
Message me on here at anytime...Good luck with the house!

Caroline

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for the past 18 months, at any location that has been necessary, albeit discreetly. I have had a few raised eyebrows, but never any comments.
There are a few Facebook support pages- a popular one is 'Breastfeeding Matters' and I know that they meet once a month. The only clinic that I know of is at Mater Dei Hospital. It is run by Midwives. They are fantastic- very very supportive and helped me a lot during the first few months.
GP's that I have met have also been supportive, however I know of quite a few mums who have seen GP's with very negative views, especially when it comes to extended breastfeeding (after the first 6 months).
My health visitor wasnt very supportive at all. My daughter was     premature and on the 9th percentile, and I was told to start weaning at 4 months. My daughter was my second child (I breastfed the first for 2 years) and whilst she was small, she was a bit chubby and very content. I told the health visitor politely where she could shove her advice and returned to the breast feeding clinic for their advice and support.
In my opinion, breastfeeding support groups are a great help to mothers. Breastfeeding can been extremely hard at times and everyone seems to try to enforce their opinion on the mother, quite often giving conflicting, negative and incorrect advice.
If you ladies decide to start a breastfeeding support group, I would be very happy to come along too.

Hi, I think it will be a great idea and I'm very excited about the thought of starting a group and organising events.
I really like the idea of the 'Bosom Buddies' course that was held at my old group. It really helps mums to use their experience to the full to help others.
We'll have to all keep in touch on here and arrange a get together, brain storm in the new year.

Caroline

Sounds great. Count me in!

I'd definitely be interested in helping in anyway too...albeit I only have a small amount of experience (2 babies till 6 mths) I think people need the access to help and advice in the first few weeks whilst getting over the birth :) Especially with their first. Good luck anyway !

Your experiences are very similar to the things we did in this area...breastfeeding friendly stickers etc and a leaflet produced etc etc etc.
I am happy to  hear about the support at Mater Dei but I think it would be lovely to have a more informal one where mums can go even if they do not have any apparent problems...just for support and like minded people.
I really look forward to meeting you both soon.

Please keep in touch. I hope (all fingers and toes crossed) that we exchange next week. If we do, I am free to plan!!!!!!!
Sooooooooooooooo happy to hear from you lovely ladies.

keep me in the loop too. I'm 'peer supporter' trained and halfway through councillor accreditation :) Im involved with running a breastfeeding group locally so id love to continue that sense of community in Malta