Hello from Tennessee

Hi, i'm fairly new to Kuwait (three months now) and have slightly gotten used to the culture. I am currently living with my kuwaiti family but my whole life i have lived in America so it's a new experience to me to be here. I spend most of my time visiting family, going out to eat, going to the gym and sometimes riding around trying to learn the area. But I'm looking to meet some people outside of my family and hopefully make some new friends being that i dont have a job or school right now so it's hard to have a social life this way.
If anyone has any experiences to share on how they have met other americans in kuwait or would like to chat or get to know me, i'd love to hear from you my e-mail is whs_football_wrestler@yahoo.com

I understand a website like this can be kind of awkward sometimes and don't know what to say so please feel free to answer a few questions below:

-How long have you been here?
-What are your favorite leisure activites here?
-Where do you go to get a "Piece of home"?
-What one thing would you change about Kuwait?

What one thing would YOU change about Kuwait? :)

Proper internet access would be nice...I'm trying to use an app called Iconnecthere on my mobile to make cheap calls home. It doesn't work on my phone but I can't check it because the website is blocked and the proxy sites don't let me ask questions...

GRRRR...:mad:

i heard that man, my local radio stations from back home are blocked, the same communication type thing is blocked and even some religious websites i've tryed accessing are blocked :(

Let's see...problems accessing the web...  Try www.hidemyass.com    That one is usually painfree, just be careful and don't accidentally sign up for the pay-service.  Once the page pops up, scroll down a bit and you'll see the text box showing the   www.youtube.com   address.  Backspace over the youtube.com part and type in the address you want to go to and you should have no problems.  THAT being said, realize that some radio stations (a lot of them actually) are owned by corporations that frown on people (regardless of citizenship) outside of the U.S. "listening" to their stations on the web.  Best thing to do is to do a websearch for the type of music you like (by state/region), click on various radio station links until you get one that not only has a "listen live" or some such option...wait and see if that station has the no-overseas protocol...and either enjoy your favorite music or move on to another station that will allow you access to it.  I have a few I listen to in the States, one of my favorites is KFOG out of San Francisco.  If none of those work, try the online song/radio selections you can find on Yahoo Messenger. 

Qurain, back to your orignal issue...there are a variety of ways to meet other Americans and Westerners here...from something like this blog, the American Embassy (if you're lucky enough to get on the Happy Hour guestlist), the gyms of course, and the schools.  If you have family that have children attending one of the many private Western style schools, they're practially 100% taught by Westerners.  I'm sure you can make friends in a roundabout way in that fashion.  Or, if you're lucky like me, I work with Americans and Brits here on contract (to the U.S. Government).  There are about a half dozen military bases in Kuwait that employ THOUSANDS of Americans (some Brits and Canucks as well) and, if you happen to make friends with one, you can make friends with many.  Here in Kuwait, it's ALL about "networking".  Knowing an American that works on one of the bases is also a good way of having stuff sent to you from the States at regular U.S. postal rates because we are allowed access to the APO here.  A lot of Americans will do that for their friends on the "outside" that don't have access to the U.S. Postal service....things like ordering from Amazon.com or eBay, just to name a few.  Anyhow, as you can see, I can talk/write FOREVER, so...  best of luck.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Not all in one shot but, have lived here about 4 years.
2. Visiting the various souks and 'ethnic' restaurants not
   commonly available in the States.  Will be taking up SCUBA
   lessons this summer.
3. Piece of home...hmmmmm, not "hard" but, it's sort of
   scattered, so to speak.  Going to an American chain eatery
   can be a step in the right direction (Chili's, etc).  If
   a sports fan, maybe procurring an AFN t.v. box and then
   being able to watch (live) U.S. sporting events, you can
   watch all the pay-per-view fights on there as well.  What
   else...hanging out with your new American friends, enjoying
   a good BBQ etc.
4. Change about Kuwait? To be honest, I absolutely love living
   here....but, the only that I would change if I could???  The
   very dangerous driving here on the roads and streets of
   Kuwait. 

Best of luck!!
Allen

So Allen,

How does one get on your Happy Hour guest list?

Patrick

Patrick,

You must know someone who works in the American Embassy that would like to sign you in.

...there are a variety of ways to meet other Americans and Westerners here...from something like this blog, the American Embassy (if you're lucky enough to get on the Happy Hour guestlist), the gyms of course, and the schools.  If you have family that have children attending one of the many private Western style schools, they're practially 100% taught by Westerners.  I'm sure you can make friends in a roundabout way in that fashion.  Or, if you're lucky like me, I work with Americans and Brits here on contract (to the U.S. Government).  There are about a half dozen military bases in Kuwait that employ THOUSANDS of Americans (some Brits and Canucks as well) and, if you happen to make friends with one, you can make friends with many.  Here in Kuwait, it's ALL about "networking".

that is it :)

4. Change about Kuwait? To be honest, I absolutely love living
   here....but, the only that I would change if I could???  The
   very dangerous driving here on the roads and streets of
   Kuwait.

that also 100% right .. i thing all ppl here are in rush !!! i don't know why ?? but for your knowledge .. some guys in kuwait learn drivung with father or relatives in early age .. sometimes 9 years old .. so they growing Hasty :\

;)