My Dog

Hi everyone, I was reading a message regarding someone bringing a dog into Malta but there was not a great deal of interest.  I am also thinking of spending Winter in Malta next year and would be bringing my dog with me.  Can anyone advise of the best and cheapest travel with pets as I seem to be coming up with silly prices which is making my visit seem very unlikely.

Could anyone advise on a good accommodation for a long term stay next winter?  Has to have a garden for my dog.

See here?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=212352

also

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=211135

Also, when you say 'a garden' what is it you are expecting?

not many places except villas have gardens here - yards and terraces mainly.

di.harp wrote:

Can anyone advise of the best and cheapest travel with pets as I seem to be coming up with silly prices which is making my visit seem very unlikely.

cheapest - drive over
best ?  best for a dog is also probably driving over

if flying from the UK, pets have to go in the hold, and not as hand luggage/carry on, and costs several hundred pounds

I have thought about taking a few days and driving over next year so that the dog doesn't have to experience the hell of being held in the hold for hours and man handled by strangers.  Has anyone done this? and what route did you take?

Would it not be cheaper, kinder and easier to put the dog in kennels? You can then visit and appraise the island's accommodation and decide if the cost etc is going to be worthwhile at a later date?
Personally I do not think that the islands are 'dog friendly' though there are many many dog owners on the islands (which gives rise to another issue).
I should mention that my wife and I have each been previously dog owners for many years.
I would not bring one, simply out of consideration and kindness to the animal but then everyone has their own reasons to.

di.harp wrote:

I have thought about taking a few days and driving over next year so that the dog doesn't have to experience the hell of being held in the hold for hours and man handled by strangers.  Has anyone done this? and what route did you take?

I think you may need longer than a 'few days'.

Hello Di.Harp
I noticed that in your profile you wrote:
Currently awaiting retirement, will be considering moving to Spain where we can get back to England relatively easily with our Dog, otherwise it would be Malta or Cyprus.

May I just say that I do not think it would be relatively easy to get back to England with your dog from either Malta or Cyprus. Of course, this is just my opinion but either way the dog goes in the hold. Would I take a dog to Cyprus or Malta? No and I do have experience of living in both countries.

I have lived in Spain and Malta and have three dogs (all rescue).

Moving the dogs from UK to Spain was incredibly costly and I think stressful for the dogs with the kennels and air travel etc.

Moving to Malta from Spain we drove.  The dogs were with us in the car the whole time, except when on the ferry.  On the ferry you have access to them at all times if they are housed in the kennels (which are not particularly nice but a necessary evil with 3 dogs).  However, you also have the option of a pet cabin if you just have the one dog and he/she can stay in the cabin with you for the whole journey.   

Travel by car/ferry is much cheaper, less stressful for you and the dog and an adventure you can have together.

Thanks for your advice, we will go by road and ferry.  I'll have to work out the route and find placed to stay en-route and try and think of it as an adventure ;)