Make friends in Malta..!

Life is exciting abroad, for sure! But the adventure is totally different when you decide to go overseas in a school ( to improve a foreign language for example) for working.. And so it's much more difficult to make friends when you work full time! Anyone's feeling the same? Anyone's looking for new friendships in Malta, new faces to give them smile after a hard working day? (come and share, even if you're somewhere else, what you're feeling)

Welcome to Expat-blog, Colombine7 :)

Your discussion has been redirected to Malta forum for effective networking.

Hope that you establish new contacts soon and that you meet lot of interesting people.

Regards,
Sheetul

Hi,

you can try the expat drink every friday :
https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/europe/malta/
or

facebook.com/event.php?eid=165146546829985#!/group.php?gid=104182076286430&v=app_2344061033

Have a good day

Laurent

many thanks for your comment. Unfortunately I couldn't be there this weekend but I'll keep it on mind for the next fridays.

Is there a group on facebook to join, so that I could check every week what's the next event?

Have a lovely evening!

the link I gave you is a group

Hi,
I feel the same because i came few month ago in Malta while i was intern and it was easier to make friends...
Now i'm working in a company, with a small team and full time
It's very difficult to meet people.

i will be there in malta after 1 week to spend my holyday (new year ) , and i will stay there for 1 month :)

see youuuuuuuu there

Happy new year for everyone!

I am Chinese Girl. I will go to Malta for study. I am appreciate you who lived in Malta, tell me the detail about Malta, are there too many Chinese people live in Malta? How about the cost of living?

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the forum. Your's must be the first post of the new year!

I remember reading a statistic somewhere quoting that the Chinese are the largest Expat group with work permits on the island.But you don't see that many so I guess they are all busy working-)))

There are many posts on the blog/forum about costs of living in Malta. Just go through the posts of the last year or so. You will find a lot of information.

What will you be studying in Malta ?

Regards
Ricky

Dear Ricky,

Thank you sooooo much for your warm reply as you are the first one give the feedback.

I study the English language for six to nine months, and my target is reading, listening, speaking, writting very fluent.

I am afraid one is the pronunciation of local people cause My english is poor, and the other consider is too much Chinese might be break the English Environment.

Best Regards
Jenny Wang

Hi, sorry but my reply is not for your request. May I ask you anyway if u know if SA citizen can rezide in malta if they buy a property?
Txs

Hi Clauzy,

Welcome to the forum.

You can be granted residency which has to be renewed yearly , if you buy property in Malta and or rent/lease property and pay taxes at 15 % and at least 4.500€ on income brought into Malta.This equates to about 30.000 € income /year but you are not and will not be allowed to work in Malta.

The Residence Scheme permit does not replace a Schengen visa so to travel from Malta to the Schengen area you will need the appropriate visas.

For the exact details check out 'Residence Scheme in Malta' through Google.

Regards
Ricky

Hi -
Thanks for the facebook link i have joined - networking so i have people i can meet when i get over there makes it not seem so bad for making friends! :)

Hi collombine7,

And to think I was the only one who felt this way... What a relief! Landed on Malta 2 months ago, working full-time, I find it sooo difficult to make friends over here. Maltese people are nice, but I feel like they are not so much interested in welcoming foreigners, most of them don't make any effort to speak English and make you feel isolated all the time. This is what's happening at my job.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is not to complain about myself.
Do you guys have any tips or advice about activities I could take up in Malta? Related to my hobbies if possible (photography, art, board-games, team sport...) but the most important thing is to meet people, obviously!
Otherwise, are there special events or parties that expats are often attending?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Hi there... i am planning to migrate malta .. please let me abt the indian community over there

Hi Kolwi,

Welcome to the forum.

You will find it much easier to make friends with expats than with Maltese. Maltese are very friendly but also very reserved against strangers , even other Maltese.It takes time and trust.

To meet other Expats try the Friday expat meetings ( see classifieds for the next location). There you should be able to get info on the different interest groups.Often you find information about activity groups in the local newspaper too !

I wish you luck.

Regards
Ricky

Hi Sathis,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about the Indian community in Malta so I can't help you on that one but I would suggest visiting a few Indian restaurants . I'm sure you will get some info if you talk to the guys working there.

Please be aware of the formalities for third-country nationals coming to Malta. There are several posts with specific details on the forum.

Regards
Ricky

Hello,

I'm new in Malta aswell. I'm working here for three months as an intern and I do find it difficult to meet new people.
Glad I'm not the only one!

Greetings Nikki

Having friends who are reliable and who do what they say, it's also for me very important, even the most important. Not often the case by experience, even recently.

Hi ricky ,

can u provide me the links ?

Hi Sliema.

Can i become your friend ???

Which links do you mean ?

You are welcome to check out the regular expat meetings when you are here. You will meet many expats who have become friends.

Ricky