Ex-Pats Meet For Coffee/Beer(s)??

Hello All,

I'm a new American who just arrived on Wednesday and I'll be here for a few years.  I lived in India for four years prior to this, so I know the importance of making an effort to make friends.  I'm wondering if any others would be interested in starting an Ex-pat Social Club (which would clearly demand a better name).  We could meet monthly or bi-weekly to share experiences, do interesting things, or just have a few drinks.  The goal, of course, would be to socially network with cool, like-minded people and hopefully make some new friends (both ex-pat and local).

If there is interest, I can propose an intital meeting time and spot (based on the assumption that people work during the day).

I'm hoping to make my stay in Malta as fabulous as my time in India, and would love to share the adventure with some of you.

Cheers,
Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

How you doing? I love your idea ;P I want to try or do something diffirent. would love to share experience ;P

Have a nice day
Anna

Hi Anna,
Let's just pick a day and post it and see if anyone joins us. Can you do next Tuesday or Wednesday?  That would give a week to plan.  Do you have any favorite spots?  I'm in Sliema/St Julian's,

Hi!

I'm moving to Malta very soon and would be interested to meet up with others. Please keep me informed.

By the way, I am desperately trying to figure out where to live. Do any of you have any recommendations? I was thinking about Sliema but heard from others that it was a) overpriced, b) too touristic, and c) too much traffic.

Cheers,
Nicolai

Yeah!!!  A current post on this forum!  My name is Debbie and I am still in America with the plan to be in Malta by April 1 2010. 

I love the idea of getting together and making new friends as I will be there (hopefully) for 1 year.

But "Big" question and I hope maybe you can help a little.  Is there a way to get a temporary visa for Malta before I leave the US or do I have to be in Malta first and then do paperwork while I'm there and hope to be approved?  I have exhausted the internet and the official government sites.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Looking forward to maybe meeting all of you soon!

Debbie

Hi marilyn

I would def be interested in something like that. Im melissa (25) and moved to malta in may.

melissa

Hi Marilyn and everyone,

Sorry for late reply, I was sick for a week, just recovered ;(
what a pitty! next week i'm going to Rome for 10 days, maybe i will join you the week after. My favorite sport? I prefer dancing ;P after the trip i will check out belly dance lesson, wan't to join with me? LOL by the way,I live in Marsaskala right now.

Hi Nicolai, what you have heard it all true, comfirm! If you have the car, Marsaskala is good  choice ;P

Good night,

Anna

was anything arranged for a meet up as i would def come?

liss x

Hi ,
I came across this group and forum by chance this morning and joined .

I just posted about our existing expat meeting group . I don't know if you already got together as this topic started in August but feel free to come along to our next Friday's meeting .I'm not sure were it will be but if you are interested contact me and I will forward you our newsletter on Wednesday or Thursday with the details .It is a great opportunity to talk about all Maltese experiences and problems or just to meet other expats.
The belly dance lesson idea is really . I'm sure some of our 'girls' would be interested in that ! Did you get anything organized ? Please keep me informed so I can pass the info on .

Regards

Ricky

Hi aca ,

the Expat groups already exists and is going strong ! I think you might be our first Spanish member if you come along to our Friday meetings.

But let us meet before for a coffee as you are here in Sliema . I live in Sliema too .How about tomorrow as it is a holiday in Malta .Or make any other day ........I'm free most of the time.We could meet at the Mint cafe on Tower Road opposite Surfside .What time or day ?
Look forward to hearing from you.

Ricky

Hi aca,

ok . See you tomorrow at the Mint cafe at 3 pm. I'll be sitting outside on my own .

The Friday expat meeting is open end ! Many members come after 8 or 9 pm as they have to work too. BUt I can give you more details tomorrow .

Ricky

Hi All,

I am hoping to be moving to Malta soon, from South Africa. I am grateful to have EU citizenship, and feel that I would adapt well to such a diverse and historic place. Reading this forum has delighted me, since I too would in search of such a community...
Good on you lot for getting something going!
with a bit of luck, I hope to see you all soon.

Hi aca ,

well , I was at the Mint cafe from 2.55 to 3.25 pm and enjoyed my coffee alone .I guess you aren't really that interested in the expat meeting.I don't have that much time to me around waiting for someone to not show up.
Ricky

Hi crispy ,

well , being an EU citizen certainly makes things easier !Keep us updated on your plans . We have a great expat community here in Malta.
Hope to see you here in Malta.
Ricky

Hi there. I'm American as well, but have lived in Paris and London for the past 8 years. I'm moving to Malta at the beginning of November. I'd be very intereted in an expat social club. Please let me know what kind of progress you've made in getting it going.

Tom

Hi Tom,

our Expats group has been going strong since May .At the moment we meet every Friday evening at a different location for drinks and nibbles and had about 25 folks around including Marilyn from the beginning of this thread . I think she liked it a lot .This Friday we were at the Terrazzo on Spinola Bay so keep in contact and I can tell you where the next meeting after your arrival will be.

We also organize other activities like private boat trips , concert visits and members get together a lot on their own.

Have a safe trip to Malta

Ricky

Thanks Ricky. I appreciate the update very much and look forward to meeting up once I get to Malta.

Be well.

Tom

Hi Everyone -
I missed lots of posts on the thread!  I'll testify that the Ex-pats group was the most fun I've had since coming to Malta.  It's well organized and the people are a blast.  It's exactly what I was hoping to get started, and I give special thanks to Ricky for turning me onto it.  My husband and I now have some follow up "play dates" with people we met and can't wait until the next Ex-pats meet!

Hi Marilyn ,

glad you liked the ' party ' and thanks for the compliments. Did you see the 'bellydance' post ? I actually found a class being offered in the Times today. !So if anybody else is interested ( no , not me -))))get back to me and I will get Ilene to try and organize an Expat special .
So look forward to meeting you all on Friday wherever the next 'party' will be.

Ricky

Hi Ricky,
               Could you email me when the next meeting is please.  We leave today for Malta and arrive on Wednesday 16th.

Hi Dee&Mike,

have you on our mailing list and will forward you our next newsletter with the details .You should get it by Thursday. Look forward to meeting you .

Have a safe  journey to Malta

Ricky

Great!  Thanks Ricky.  Now at PC airport hotel leaving early a.m. arrive Malta Wednesday p.m.  Look forward.  Dee

Hi Dee ,

just in case you didn't receive our latest ExpatsMalta newsletter and for anybody else interested in meeting other expats on a Friday evening - our next meeting this Friday 18th September is at the Island Bar at the Fortina Spa Hotel in Sliema from 6 pm onwards.

Look forward to seeing you all there

Ricky

Mrs Sand and me will be over in Malta to do some partying this weekend ;)

Would have been great to meet up with you guys but unfortunately not arriving until Saturday.

Will be staying around Bay Street / St Julien's side

Maybe another time? :)

Hi Mr.Sand ,

enjoy your party weekend . If you are staying around Bay Street I guess where the party will be -)))
Contact me and I will put you on our newsletter mailing list for the next time you are here on Malta.

Regards

Ricky

Hi All!
Where is party in winter?
In other places?
Wanna start party in winter :)

Hi Loopack,

yes , event place changes every week at the moment so we don't know where it will be in the winter .

Send me your e-mail and I will put you on the mailing list so you can come anytime you want .

Ricky

im up for that!!!!

my phone number is 99192185

c u soon guys

Hi Jul,

will put your e-mail on our mailing list.

You can also check out expatsmalta.com for an update.Check on Thursday or Friday to make sure.

Sorry I didn't get back faster but we had a big 30 th birthday party last Friday.So coming Friday things should be back to normal!-)))

Regards

Ricky