Looking for a dog friendly place

Our family with 2 small children is going to relocate to Malta in December. We are looking for a long term place to stay preferable with a small garden, yard or terrace from mid-December. We would be happy with a smaller older property if the landlord will accept our 7 years old beagle (he is going to follow us end of January -February). My husband's office is located in Ta xbiex, so we would prefer a place within easy commuting distance (initially we will not have a car)
Thank you.Eva ([email protected])

Hello pevi and welcome to expat-blog

You already had a look to our housing section? housing in Malta. Might be handy.

I hope you will hear for the other members real soon.

Best of luck,
Melissa

Hi, did you find out anything about landlords who will accept dogs. We are also in two minds whether to bring our little dog with us. What is the procedure for you, I believe there is no quarantine on the island.

flyingpommy wrote:

I believe there is no quarantine on the island.

that depends on where coming from, and whether paperwork correct

If you come from an EU country, your dog is micro-chipped, vaccinated against rabies, treatment against bandworm and you have the EU-Pass (blue cover) for the dog it's no problem.

Here's the leaflet
There's also the email address indicated.

You have to fill out an Application Form and receive the confirmation before your flight/ferry - and at your arrival in Malta a vet from the Veterinary Regulation Directorate will be waiting for you, take a short check on your dog ... and that's it.

When we came with our dog the procedure took only about 5 minutes.

Markus

Dear All,

thank you for your help and suggestions. We are coming from EU country and already aware of the procedure, however we can not bring our dog till we have no place to stay with him. So far we are having no luck. As my partner has to start to work in 2 weeks time, we will have to leave our dog behind and hope to find something soon.

Have you tried to mention your needs to an estate agent. We had a particular type of flat in mind and after 4 days he found it for us, maybe it's worth triyng.
Giuseppina

Yes, we are in contact with couple of agencies. One agent is encouraging although he so far suggested one property only (unfortunately the rental fee was way out of our means). The other was quite discouraging telling us to contact him when we are actually in Malta as properties are going fast.

Hi Pevi,
I have just spent the ast 2 days looking at properties that were pet friendly. They are there. I can highly recommend Miguel at Frank Salt, Christina at InHouse and Prescilla at Simon Mamo. They all stuck within my budget and produced suitable properties. I have their personal contact details should you wish. Best of luck.
Eva

"The other was quite discouraging telling us to contact him when we are actually in Malta as properties are going fast." - thats standard speak for agents in Malta, irrespective of whether its true or not.

That's true they actually want u to come to malta first and meet up and have a proper chat. My husband had the fortune to come 5 days before actually moving over to look for a flat to rent . At the beginning we had the price issue as well but then i spoke clearly with him on the phone telling him that i did not want to waste my time and that if the price range i was telling him didn't suit the researche than i would have changed agent. SURPRISE SURPRISE the next day something came up that was exactly what we were looking for and at the price we wanted. it's eather MAGIC or just treating them like they treat you ;)
That's the only advise i can give you cause they will try to sell you of course what they want and they are most of the times very friendly with the landlord so they will make their interests.
Giuseppina

good luck

I can highly recommend Michael from Sara Grech (PM me for further details).
He was very helpful and offered us - even he is from Sliema branch - many pet friendly properties in different cities.
He also was very appreciative of our continuously changing requirements during our house viewing week ;)

Even now, more than 5 months after signing the contract he is still very helpful regarding communication with our landlord (age 80+) :)

... and he became my FB friend :)

Hi,

There are landlords who take dogs in Malta, I work in real estate and would be happy to help find something for you I moved to Malta with my wife in October. We decided to leave the two labradors in the UK heart rendering decision but as we both working not fair to leave them alone all day - we ran a pub before so they were with us 100%. Contact me at [email protected] if you think I can help - No pressure guys