Hi From Michelle....Extreme newbie "trying" to learn Arabic

Hello there, everyone!

Well, I recently checked out cds and an illustrated book on Arabic.  I just started listening to one of the cds yesterday.  Already I feel SO hopeless.  After listening to the cd twice, I may remember on a few phrases.  And please don't get me started on masculine, feminine, and double consonants! 

I have newfound admiration for anyone who has successfully undertaken and learned to be fluent in a new language.  Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself.  After all, it's only day two!  But I'm to the point of thinking that maybe if I play the cd while I sleep, I will acquire the language subliminally.  Hmmmmmm.....any thoughts, please?

At any rate, allow me to tell you a little about myself.  I was born and raised in Savannah, GA.  I spent a few of my formative years in New York with my dearly departed Nana.  Because of her influence, and being exposed to art, music, and other cultures, I truly have a love of learning and being exposed to new people, places, and things.

It is my plan/goal to relocate to Jordan within 6 months to a year.  In the meantime, I'm learning as much as possible about Arabic culture, language, religion, perceived notions of Americans, etc.  I consider myself very fortunate to have found this forum and, so far, I've met a few friends.  Am hoping to meet many more.  I welcome all positive ideas and suggestions.

Welcome on Expat.com AfroLotus !

AfroLotus wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on myself.  After all, it's only day two!

yes indeed you should be more patient :D

All my wishes of success,

Julien

Yes, Julien!  So true...I want to learn it all yesterday!  Alas, that's impossible.  I think the older one becomes the less fertile the "soil" of the brain becomes.  But I'll give myself an "E" for effort!

Thank you for the reply and the encouragement!

Welcome on Expat.com Afro Lotus!
Appreciate your day 1 efforts, I live in this part of world for quite some time and never thought of going through learning process of Arabic formally though learning material, You have given me a step forward. I believe the more we interact or converse in Arabic the better we are and much faster we are.

Good luck do not loose your heart, of course you can do it,
Have Fun

Hi, Afro Lotus!

The best way to learn Arabic is to converse with Arabs. Look for any local Arab restaurants,cultural centers, mosques where you can converse. At least it will help you pick up a few words.

Also, there is a good book for instruction called beginning modern standard Arabic. It is very thorough and should help you with speaking and writing.

Best,

Caise
Amman

Oh I know the struggles of trying to learn Arabic :-) I have been living in Jordan for more than a year now, but only learning Arabic the past 6 months or so - it's hard, but also fun, and once you get here, you will be encouraged by the people you meet on the street, in taxis and so on. Most people here gets so excited when you try to speak to them in Arabic, and in this way you will also catch on faster.

Good luck - and hope to meet you once you are in Jordan :-)

first i should  welcom you in jordan becous i live in . you have to know we're agood people and we respect and love the geusts , but you should learn arabic , it's so easy to learn but you have to be patient and serous , i hope to help you so here you my email donyan1994@yahoo i hope to reply soon finaly have agood  day

donyan
jordan
9:55 am
love ambassador