Arabic Language @ the University of Jordan

Do you know any one who has taken Arabic language coarses @ the university? If so can you share the experience? Was the instruction good verses the tuition? Please share, any information would be helpful. Thank you.

I am now studying arabic at the UJ.
If you want something to know please pm me.

hey,,,its all good,,,little bit expensive,,,and it depends on wht type of courses u r looking for,,,and it which level u r,,,

I do not know any arabic, so i'd be starting from ground zero. My research shows that it costs about $1800. per quarter for Arabic instruction. Do you know if there is a registration fee if you are just taking a language course?

Primadonna. Did you know any Arabic to start with? Are you making progress with the language? I don't want to pay for something thats not going to help me learn. Do you feel that the course is worth what you are paying for it?

I can say yes to all your questions.
Started at level 1 in last september and now joying level 3.
I was lucky to have a good doctora who teaches very good and give us everything what we need and even more...
I am now able to read childstories and write short stories by my self. The lessons at level 1 is in English but from level 3 in Arabic.

I can tell you lot about it and if you want know more please ask me.

hello..well, Arabic is not an easy language but you can learn it quickly..i am jordanian, i know how to teach Arsbic in a good easy way so if you want anything, teaching you perhaps you can contact me here

Dear Elaine and all,
I will be arriving soon in Amman and work there. i am interested to study Arabic too. It would be great if you share with me contacts and info on teachers, rates so I can plan for Arabic learning.

regards
Arben  Hasan Caslli

Dear Primadona,
Kindly share with me contact details of the doctora as I am interested to study Arabic too.
best regards and thank you in advance
Arben Hasan Caslli

Salaam Arben Hasan Caslli,

Welcome on board and welcome in Jordan.
How long you are planned to stay here?
In one of your previous post I read that you stay here for three months? Is that correct?

I can't give you the contact details from my doctora personally but I can give you the link from the university.
If you need more info, please contact the student dean.

http://ujlc.ju.edu.jo/

Good luck!

Dear Primadonna,

Thank you for the feedback and info. Initially I am planned to be in Amman for three months, but I might stay for 2-4 years. I will get to know in June.
I will check the site and I can ask the dean for more information.

Bets regards and thank you
Arben Hasan Caslli

On the website it mentions that there are 6 levels of Arabic. How many levels can one complete each semester?

In each semester you can complete one level.
It is possible that after you complete the level, to skip one or more levels.
It depends how hard you study and how good you are.

Do you know why the whole program is 2 (more if you do levels after level 6) years. It seems like there are a lot of private centers where the whole program is 1, sometimes even less, than a year. Also how does the housing work? On average how much is an apartment. Finally, do you just renew your visa every month or did you get a student visa before you went. Thanks in advance!

Before I studied Arabic at the UJ I search on the net and yes, indeed, there are many private centers where you can study.
But the UJ is the only one who spend 16 hours per week for the study, and until the beginning of this year therefore also the cheapest one ( if you calculate fees and the hours of study). I don't know if other languages centers raised their fees too.

Personally I was very lucky to have a very excellent teacher and I studied two semesters with her.

At the UJ there are two semesters and one summer semester.
This summer semester is a little bit shorter then the fall and winter/spring semester. It is more intensive because of the short period but you can finish a level. That means that you can study three semesters in one year.
The levels 7 and 8 (and sometimes level 9 on request) is more on a academic level and this is only handy if you want become an translator.

About housing and visa's I can't help you with this because I live here for some quite time now and I don't have this issues anymore.

I advise you to email the UJ or contact the dean of the language center. She can answer all your questions.

If you decide to study at the UJ I can ensure you that you get a wonderful time.

Wish you all the best.