Company for hiking and/or snorkeling

Hello! I'm an American expat in Mauritius and looking to see a few more parts of the island. (I've been here for two months and only tapped the surface.) Anyone interested in a meet-up for hiking and/or snorkeling? I'm planning on going to Blue Bay sometime in the near future, since I've heard it's some of the best reef snorkeling on the island.

Hi

My husband is from the US too and he likes hiking and snorkeling. Maybe you are interested!

Let me know
Regards.

Tell me more?

Hello pls count me on both. I've been itching to trek up those gorgeous hills!
Was thinking of doing a coastal drive to blue bay a weekend in dec....

I FEEL SAD BBCAUSE MY BOYFRIEND IS WOKING 12 HOUR SHIFTS SO I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A FRIEND TO GO OUT WITH SO PLEASE CONTACT ME 7472869 ......IM VERY FIT I WALKED FOR 3 MONTHS EVERY DAY IN REUNION .

anntropez, dom.chin,

Great! In terms of mountains, I've done La Pouce and Corps de Garde already. (La Pouce has an alternate path, so I wouldn't mind doing that again.) Are you folks available for a hike on Saturday the 10th? Any mountains that you have done so far?

~Basil

NEVER DONE ANY MOUNTAINS IN MAU AND I HAVE BEEN COMING FOR 3 YEARS IM NOW HERE FOR 6 MONTHS SO I MIGHT GET TO DO ONE SOMEDAY .....THE 10TH I HAVE BEEN INVITED TO MEET SOME NEW FRIENDS FROM EPAT SO I THINK THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT FOR ME AS IM ALONE MOST OF THE TIME BUT I KNOW WHEN I GET OUT AND ABOUT I HAVE A PERSONALITY TO DRAW PEOLPE MY WAY !!! VERY FRIENDLY FROM NORTH UK

Pardon me, you're quite right - the 10th is the Expat meetup (which I even have in my calendar). The 11th?

Hi anntropez,

You should avoid using your caps lock on the forum. Thank you :)

No hiking today - the ground's pretty saturated with water from yesterday's rain, with more on its way. Next weekend!

Hi was out of bounds n missed the reply trail. Did I miss the hike too?
Basil let me know for the next one pls? - u can reach me via email.

Dom,

Will do. The weather forecast for next week looks a little drier, so it looks like we're going to try a short La Pouce climb on Christmas Eve.

~Basil

hi.

have you done the hiking yet?

Kitt,

No - the expedition planned for this weekend was cancelled due to the rain.

it will still be raining i guess.have you ever tried the other path you were telling previously?

Kitt, sorry that I missed your message. The other path is slightly shorter, as it goes to a lower peak.

Weather forecast: partly cloudy, light winds. In other words, great for hiking! Here's the plan for tomorrow. We're going to climb Le Pouce's lower summit, starting from the Port Louis side. I'll be private messaging and emailing people separately, but here's the deal for anyone else who wants to join in:

Meet in Tranquebar at the bus station (more or less the square on this map: http://en.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1217321 ) at 9:00 AM. We'll wait for any stragglers who have messaged me, then set out directly. Once we're on the trail, it should take about 90-100 minutes to get there. Note that we're _not_ taking the long way down on the link above - just climbing up to the lower summit, then back the way that we came.

Questions/running late/etc? I know that a number of you will be away because it's Christmas Eve; no worries. The next hike (Pieter Both) is tentatively planned for January 21.

Hi,
Im shamsheed and new top this forum, and am in for both trecking and snorkelling, as well as scuba diving if anyone interested in.
Knows quite some sites on the island, but is always learning...

Hello, all-

We are on for Pieter Both this Saturday! I will email/message people who've asked for a more direct reminder, but here are the details.

-We're climbing Pieter Both, the second highest mountain in Mauritius.
-If you've gone mountain climbing anywhere other than Mauritius, you'll wonder why people say it's so difficult.
-We'll climb to the point where you need ropes to ascend (which is just short of the peak).
-There are a few places where there's an easy route up and a not-so-easy route up. I've noticed that the locals tend to pick the latter - your mileage may vary.
-Do bring water and a light lunch or snack to eat at the top.
-Wear a good pair of shoes that stay on well. They don't have to be hiking shoes, but you'll want a thick sole.
-Mosquito repellant is helpful for the start of the trail. I'll have some on me, so just ask if you need it.
-Be prepared for some stellar views at the top!

There are two meeting places and times:

1) 8 AM at the St. Pierre Transportation Centre, for those who want to get in an extra 3.5 km walk to warm up. We'll follow this route: http://g.co/maps/xy59k

2) 9 AM at the main intersection for La Laura. (Point B on this link: http://g.co/maps/xy59k ). If you don't want to do the early walk or are running late, you can take the 130 bus right to La Laura and join us there.

After that, we'll head straight towards the mountain and take the main trail. If you get lost or are running late, you can call me at 755-7904.

One little note: for some reason, Mauritian guidebooks like to say that this is a difficult climb. Having just come back from La Réunion, I strenuously disagree.

Hope to see you there!

-Herblanders ("Basil")

P.S. Look for the guy with a green umbrella. That'll be me.

Hi I'm in i will meet you there, ill check maybe ill have one or 2 friend with me, ill confirm by tommorow. So if you are already on the green umbrella guess ill carry the orange unbrella :p

Sounds good!

Seems cyclone class 3 reported at Rodrigues. Any bearing tmwr's hike?

dom.chin,

Current projections have the cyclone missing Mauritius by a wide margin. I will check the latest early tomorrow to make sure that things are staying that way.

~Basil

...and for the morning weather update: the weather forecast is for partly cloudy with a light breeze, perfect for hiking! See you there!