Expat working with HIV+ undetectable

Hello everyone,

I got a job offer working in SG, which considerably a good opportunity for me to jump over from my home country. However, upon checking the requirements that an expat have to go through, I'm stuck at a requirement where an expat have to go through a blood test for HIV, etc.

I'm on my constant medicinal routine and able to maintain my undetectable level ever since, my regular blood checkup in my country has also been stretched over a period of 1 year+ due to good record.

My questions are:
  • 1. HIV status has been suppressed and is below the undetectable level, will this still affect my application for SPass/EPass (I'm not really sure the difference of these 2)?
  • 2. Is it mandatory for all expats to go through medical checkup specifically for blood test before being issued with SPass/EPass?
  • 3. Though based on my fair research (although still unclear), above 2 questions might be irrelevant as
Singapore's Immigration Act bans any HIV positive foreigners from entering Singapore for employment
  • 4. How about those that are already suppressed their HIV to undetectable level? As they're considered as healthy and not able to transmit the virus as long as they're on meds.
I have already went through the interview, and there is a fat chance that I will get the offer since it will be basically an inter-company transfer from my home country. I have passed all the requirements needed, just a little setback for this so called immigration act that expats had to adhere.

I'm sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find anything that can be related to my situation + I think this will help the other who are also in my situation in the future.

I hope anyone in this forum will be able to help and suggest what will be the best steps for me before I go and seek for the employer advice that is based in SG. (I have never disclosed of my HIV status in my home country as it's not mandatory)

I will list down my role that I will be having soon if this could (more or less) help:
  • Area: IT Firm
  • Approx. Salary: S$6000+
  • Certification: Diploma holder
Thank you very much!
We indeed did not have this topic here yet and I don't know the answer.
I suspect, strict as Singapore authorities are, that you will not be allowed to work here.
But please ask the relevant authorities and report back here - for the next reader in your situation!
@beppi Thank you very much for the response! I have been in contact with a few parties. Here is the response from them:

A deal can be reached if your relationship with your potential employer is very healthy. As they are aware of your medical status (undetectable & on treatment). Regardless of the outcome, whether you decide to take the test or not. Special arrangements could be arranged between your potential employer and the MOM.
They might also consider making arrangements not to screen you for HIV or other structures that assure your financial stability.
So for now, since my movement is internal and can definitely discuss about the issue, I'll try to speak with and seek for my director's advise who is recommending me first whether they are okay with it. Wish me luck! 1f91e.svg
@wozop hi
Singapore might not take risk for this. Singapore really values safety and very good health protocol.
Even if you provide supporting docs, as far as you are linked with HIV, i don't think they will take a risk.
But u may also try.. who knows? All the nest to you! Just pray

Good luck to you!

@wozop

Hi. I am also planning on moving to Singapore for work but I'm also HIV+ but undetectable. How did it go for you? Were you able to get a work permit in Singapore despite being HIV+?

@wozop hi buddy could you please provide your WhatsApp number I really do want discuss regarding this issue . Going through the same issue :(

@wozop

Hi, I have the same situation as you. Can I contact with you to discuss on this issue or it would be great if you can update us about your job offer.

Thanks in advance,

@wozop

May I know what the result is? I also want to know the results.

Hope for your answer before i go for the medical check up there..

Hi does anyone knows the results

To answer this question, I have been undetectable HIV+ for 5 years, and I did apply for a job in Singapore.

When it comes to a medical checkup, even if the results are undetectable, they are still positive and will not grant any long-term visa in Singapore. Thanks.

@wozop Hello. Where you able to secure your job offer in Singapore? Is your company a member of SNEF? SNEF is a trade union of major companies in Singapore, similar to NTUC. and they have guidelines that may be related to their question.