How does everyone open a Portuguese bank account? Remotely.

Hey everyone.

I'm planning to apply for a d7 visa from Japan, but I noticed that I need to apply for a local bank card as part of the application requirements, and I already have a NIF, so all I need is my bank card.

can you share any reliable organizations that can assist in opening a bank account remotely?

Is it possible that a local lawyer can also handle this kind of business, and if so, do you have any recommendations for a reliable lawyer?

Thank you all!

See you at Obidos!
Hi Muer, Welcome.

Open a bank account in Portugal as a non-resident

Solicitors, Lawyers & Administrative division of Portugal:

Best Regards
@JohnnyPT

Thank you! I learned a lot, but this site is no longer open.1f923.svg

This link is ok. Where is the problem?...

Search for solicitors in Portugal:
@JohnnyPT

chrome says ‘not secure',1f602.svg

no matter what, thank you very much!
@Muer
Hey you need someone like probably a resident in Portugal to help you open a bank account, A resident does not mean that you ask anyone, that resident should be an accountant or a lawyer or solicitors, since you will handling them your power of attorney to execute certain actions.

If you come from a country where some banks like banks that are International , they help you through partnership that they have with Portuguese bank to open a bank account from your home country. Typically banks have a verification system that they either need to verify you in person or through their channels or offices.

I had earlier asked Big bank a bank in Portugal  ,I found out this bank allow non resident to open a bank account , but still they need you to visit the branch in a stipulated timeframe. Most banks require your physical presence , but some with the help of resident as mentioned above can probably be done without you going to the branch ie Yes you can open a bank account remotely.

My personal experience, I was able to get a bank account with Novobanco through a tax accountant ..in Portugal without going to Portugal. I had to hand over all the data, then after 2 weeks I got some documents stating account details, I have not received my bank card as of now.

* Note this is not a legal advice , please perform your own research before acting further.
chrome says ‘not secure',1f602.svg

Trust me, this is a safe link.

Just find a Portuguese Bank Office in Japan,  I am not in Japan but just went to a couple of Portuguese bank offices (NOT bank branches) in London and they both opened accounts (and got a tax code - NIF) for me at branches in my chosen town in Portugal.   Likewise you can open an internet/app based Portuguese bank account from outside Portugal by ................................... using the interwebs.
If you were to just do a search this you'll find your question has been answered before on this forum.
@saransh36

Thank you very much!

I applied for Millennium Bank in bordr before, also received a survey email from the bank at the beginning of May, then there has been no news until now.

bordr said that because of the new policy, on the non-European residents now Millennium Bank can not open an account, I do not want to wait endlessly, because my visa documents are only two months of validity.1f602.svg

so I will try to find a local lawyer to ask about it, Thank you very much for sharing, and good luck with your visa!

@JohnnyPT 

I tried in three different browsers
1f602.svg1f602.svg1f602.svg

[link moderated]

This is a parameter setting problem of your browser.... try Opera.

@Strontium

Thank you very much!
But I don't have a local bank in Portugal, and I checked and there is no Portuguese bank in Osaka either, but I am consulting a lawyer.1f60a.svg
Do you have visa to enter Portugal ? Did you apply for D7 and got it approved? If thats the case, then go to Portugal and open a bank account there.

I just received my bank account documents today in less than 15 days from Novobanco, I did not go to the bank, I did everything remotely. Sure , in the end the bank relationship manager is sending a document where I will have to sign a document which needs to be sent  back to Portugal post then I will have debit access on the account, though at this point , I can send money in the account but cannot take it out.

Thanks
So here's my experience. I requested me and my wife's NIF numbers two months ago and they came through within a couple of weeks. I got a contact at Millennium BCP from a friend who's based in Portugal and the lady communicates to me via email and whatsapp about what I need to send and sign.

Account opening can be done from abroad, but signing will need to be done at the Portuguese Embassy, for which I am now making an appointment in The Netherlands. The documents to sign are more than 70 pages in total so you better have full printer cartridges.

The Millennium BCP Prestige programme comes at a monthly cost of up to EUR 15, but it does offer some perks, such as insurance and a personal contact at the bank.

@Muer 
Try e-residence.com i opened a bank account with Novobanco via this company.

@Jk1976 waiting your help for Millenium bcp prestige account opening help through ur bank friend.

Ahmed