Homicides in DR

El Caribe has posted an article which is very revealing in relation to homicides committed in DR in 2021. Interesting reading and no surprises which are the most dangerous barrios in Santo Domingo. Santiago is having a big problem with murders right now and San Francisco de Macoris in Duarte is probably the most dangerous place to live if you look at the figures for Duarte a largely rural province.

Four provinces and the District led homicides in 2021

Of a total of 1,357 homicides registered last year, 807 occurred in five demarcations. The localities that concentrated in 2021, 59 percent of the deaths at the hands of other people were Santo Domingo (353), Distrito Nacional (147), Santiago (164), San Cristóbal (83) and Duarte (60).

The province of Santo Domingo tops the tragic list. Judging by the number of homicides that occurred that year in this demarcation, then Villa Mella, Los Guaricanos, Herrera, Sabana Perdida and Los Mina are listed as the most dangerous to live in, accumulating 116 deaths of the 353 registered there.

However, the indicator par excellence to measure citizen insecurity in a country is the homicide rate, which also functions as a kind of thermometer to identify the areas within the territory that have become more violent in a given time.

When computing for the highest homicide rate in 2021, in the first five places are Hato Mayor (32.65), Espaillat (28.71), El Seibo (20.54), Duarte (20.03) and Barahona (16.92). Of the 1,357 homicides registered that year, 160 occurred in those five provinces.

Those who die the most

Other variants such as the sex of the victim also become important in a very marked way. The data posted on the page of the Attorney General's Office (PGR), specify that of the 1,357 registered homicides, 1,207 correspond to men and 150 to women.
As happens in violent deaths, young people between 18 and 34 years old are the ones who die the most in these circumstances. Last year, 721 lost their lives in the most productive moment of their lives, followed by people between the ages of 35 and 51, with 323 events.

Computed by nationality, Dominicans lead the list of homicide victims with 85.63%, followed by Haitians with 13.41%, according to data from the National Institute of Forensic Sciences and the National Police, managed by the PGR.

Fights and drugs with the highest number of deaths

Official agencies divide homicide records between those related to crime and those that are not, the latter being the ones with the highest incidence, with 755 cases compared to 440.

Of homicides not related to crime, fights are the most frequent cause of death, with 512 events, followed by intimate femicide (86), passionate affairs (74), accidental circumstances (19) and domestic violence (15).

Meanwhile, of the number of deaths related to crime, 120 were linked to drugs, trying to rob or robbery (81), attempted robbery (62), victim of robbery or robbery (59) and dispossession of a firearm. fire (30).

Regarding the weapon used in the more than 1,300 homicides registered in 2021, 62% originated with firearms and 26% with bladed weapons.

2021 breaks the downward trend

Official records indicate that in 2021 there were 1,357 deaths at the hands of other people in the national territory. The figure raises the homicide rate to 12.88, two points more than that presented in the year the pandemic began (2020), when it was at 10.85, a period that accumulated 1,134 deaths from this cause.

The homicide rate for 2021 is even higher than that registered in 2019, when it was 11.83 and 1,225 deaths in violent circumstances were computed.

The increase in the tragic indicator breaks with the downward trend that had been taking place in the last decade, which in none of the cases was less than a thousand. According to the data tracked by the Citizen Security Observatory, the general homicide rate in the last decade fluctuated as follows:

In 2011, the indicator stood at 26.3, with a number of deaths of 2,517. In 2012, the rate was set at 23.4, with 2,268 deaths, the following year, it dropped to 20.3, with 1,991 deaths in violent circumstances.

The homicide rate continued to decline in 2014 to 18.3, with a total of 1,813 cases, in 2015, this leveler dropped to 16.8, with 1,675 events.

Already in 2016, the indicator was located at 16.0, with 1,616 homicides, the following year the fall continued, presenting a rate of 15.4 with a number of cases of 1,561 already for 2018, there was talk of a rate of 13.39 and 1,375 deaths.

In 2021, 77 died under PN action

Deaths attributed to police action have a separate table in the distribution of statistics. At the hands of agents of the National Police, 77 people died in 2021. In 2020, the number of violent deaths under police action was 80. “Death by legal intervention refers to the death of a person at the hands of the police or other law enforcement officials, such as the military on duty, while detaining or attempting to detain lawbreakers, suppressing a riot, maintaining order, or taking other lawful action when the use of force by law enforcement officers is necessary to protect life ”, highlights the Security Observatory.

Edited to move to  the Everyday Life  category!
So this article is interesting but misses a VERY important factor.  They need to  look at  Homicide rate accounted by population!   

Of course Santo Domingo has the highest number!  Over half the population lives here!  Of course its high in Santiago, 2nd largest city! 

There are a lot of factors to look at here.
A lot to take in for sure.

They have given homicide rates which is 12.88 per 100k nationally and as examples Hato Mayor 32.65 (probably due to all the drug related murders in Sabana del Mar), Espaillat 28.71 (main town Moca), El Seibo 20.54 (bull fighting lol), Duarte 20.03 (SFM - 3rd largest city and small drug linked town of Arenoso)  and Barahona 16.92 (drug entry point).

Whilst not mentioned in the report, the most concerning development appears to be gang violence that has appeared of recent - drug gang murders in Sabana del Mar was one such incident but it also happened very recently in Pedro Brand where Autopista Duarte enters the capital. DR was not known for gangs but there have been very recent incidences of gang in gun fights over drug sale points. Perhaps because the government has been stopping tons of cocaine entering the country with several tons being captured from boats every month and the arrest and capture of drugs at sales points throughout DR those involved are under pressure?
Four violent deaths in the last 48 hours

Santiago has a big problem right now with the murders below in less than a week.....it has a population of about 650k compared to SD with at least 2.5 million.

In less than 72 hours! There are already 3 men murdered in Santiago

SANTIAGO: Assailants give no respite; they kill 3 in the last hours

The good news is that the main tourist areas don't feature.
Not surprising after 11 murders in a week in Santiago.......

Crime wave sweeps aside Santiago police director

After the main violent events that occurred in different locations in Santiago, the director general of the National Police, Major General Eduardo Alberto Then, yesterday took office of General Claudio Edgar González Moquete, as the new regional director of the Cibao Central Directorate of the National Police, in Replacement of General Ernesto García Rodríguez, who until now has been without functions.

The general director of the National Police also integrated 150 new agents to the patrol with the support of members of the Army of the Republic.

As for the gangs seen through videos, acting defiantly on motorcycles and vehicles, carrying weapons of all calibers, the director of the Police said that they will confront him wherever they are . After being sworn in as the new regional director in Santiago, General González Moquete declared that he has set himself two challenges: the first is to restore the citizen's trust, with an approach to educational centers and security; and the second, to combat crime, with an operational plan that he will coordinate with the authorities. "However, these challenges can only be realized with the support of the people of the province," he said.
Not homicide but this group attacked and robbed as movie type video three places on Saturday and are thought to be linked to military

Command committed three assaults on the same day

26_05_2022-ELDIA_JUEVES_260522_-Nacional

The armed command that stole more than 9 million pesos from an armored truck in Santo Domingo Este used a stolen truck to commit the assault and other criminal acts between Juan Dolio and the great Santo Domingo, the same day.

The criminals stole the gray Nissan Frontier truck from a person in Higüey to later carry out a robbery in the municipality of Juan Dolio, a source linked to the investigation confirmed to EL DÍA.

Then, the armed command moved to a car ornaments in the Herrara sector, Santo Domingo Oeste municipality, where they removed the GPS device that the vehicle had.

The source added that the six unknown individuals, who were heavily armed and wore bulletproof vests and balaclavas, committed another robbery in an undetermined place, and then went to the Los Mameyes sector to rob the truck of the securities transport company that was ending its journey there. route last Saturday.......
Lets hope they crack down! 
Just like any other country and their capital Santo domingo and the second capital (Santiago) have their high crime numbers.
Wow how devistating my fiancé was a victim of assault two days ago in Andreas boca chica
Iam.so sorry to hear this. Is she ok?
@lennoxnev

I have been in Canada for the summer and dont have time to review all your excellent posts, Lennoxnev.  Without your comments and factual data (as best as available, we dont have BBC here) we would have no data, only hearsay and personal opinions.  This is very sad how high some of the figures presented are with violence against women in particular, by men.  Armed robberies are also concerning, hope your not in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I was told on one visit to the capital, dont leave my side, dont cross the street, you are an obvious target and you need to understand how dangerous it can be here (daytime).  For this reason, I dont take trips alone and I do take all warnings very seriously, and so should everyone else.
Honestly.... still better than my city in USA. 😕
@Erika317 I feel you. We see this every day in the States.
@lennoxnev  Good evening or day to you Sir,
What is the point of all this information? Am not sure if is worth my time to read the entire article/comments you are posting here. I just don't know what is the reason. Do you want to inform, scare, coerce Us or just fill your time with this info? I hope all is well with you. I also suggest you continue your great research with as many by other  countries problems/violence as you can.  Am pretty sure you will have you hands filled with articles to post and write about. Am sure  you know,  what you are posting is a worldwide concern and is happening even in the USA. 
It seems as though some want to turn this forum into a news blog.  Perhaps it would be better to create a thread specifically for news blogs for those that can't or don't know how to access the daily news through our many online newspapers.  Frankly, mainstream news is and always has been full of theatrics, falsified info (and I don't mean all of it) and just plain political rhetoric.  After all who do you think funds these main stream news articles anyways?  Who wants to read about the boring average everyday life?  These on-going political threads, and everyone knows politics alludes to name calling, arguments, different points of view etc. why it has to show up in every thread that we read.  Obviously, some have travelled the world are educated and think they know everything there is to know about everything.  Offering good advice and information at times, that doesn't mean that everyone else wants to read or hear about it...over and over again.  Too much is too much, IMHO.
A good compromise is adding the words - News Reports - to all threads that are simply google translations of news articles.

In that way those who want to read them will understand clearly that it's a news report. Everyone can choose to read them or not.  It's a good source of info for those who don't read multiple sources of "news".  And those who routinely follow multiple sources can simply not read the thread.
I think its fairly obvious if your reading a translated version of a news report, however, providing a link to it is also ideal if you just comment about it, rather than providing the entire article. I dont think we have to decide if its valid, it all depends on you! 

If you want to read a post, read it. Otherwise dont read it.  If you want to believe it, then do it.  If the topic interests you, then you can ask yourself, is this information from a credible source.

Personally we know that the mainstream media does a very bad job reporting on news or events, because there is always an agenda and they want to keep their job and they want you to come back and read their stuff. So its always biased (just like my opinions are biased).  I do appreciated information posted here when its already translated to English as it always saves time.
@DominicanadaMike

Hi Mike

I dont get what your saying.  Just ignore the thread or the comment if you dont want to read it.  I dont think you have to analyze it and add restrictions.  If its offensive or breaking rules, then thats different, otherwise, leave it alone. 
@Garcia111

Hi Garcia

Why do you want to know the reason someone posted information?   Is it filling space on your server? I dont think we should be censoring information or telling people not to post information.  If you want to live in a free world, this includes freedom of speech.  If you dont like what is being said, you can comment on it or you can be quiet.  We cant possibly all agree with everyone but we are lucky to be able to have this choice, unlike some people who have many freedoms taken from them. 
One if the rules is that Expat doesnt allow posts on drugs, politics, religion or prostitution. The reason is that in most cases the threads become very aggressive.

As moderator I have almost always allowed them as we tend to behave properly.

And now we will lose that benefit.  Now I will moderate by the rules!
@Karin1: Quite correct unless someone is attacking or addressing you personally and then I may make reference if I have nothing better to do or address the person inquiring.  Frankly, most of the whining just isn't worth the time to read it... I assume since you are not the one being attacked you may be out of sync with the conversation.  Freedom of speech is important but let's keep it about topics and not about specific people.
I don't understand….. after the first two or three lines of reading I can tell if I'm going to continue or not…. And if it's more then a paragraph it really has to be something Of interest that I'm desperate to know more about …… 🤣

This is an expat forum for expats to be informed about life in DR. I, for one welcome as much information as possible and am glad that someone posted info about murders and the cities with the highest rates. Now I know which places to stay away from... The better informed I am, the better choices I can make. As another member wrote, if you don't like reading a post about real life in DR, just simply don't read it!

Terrible. As a veteran, I'm not sure if I can live down there without LEGALLY owning and carrying a piece. Would I prefer not to? Yes. I hope to never use it, God forbid. However, I do read the stories from the police website. Link below...

https://www.policianacional.gob.do

@planner hold things down planner, or the site will goo off the rails and become DR1.

go off the rails

@tu primo,  without residency and a whole lot of waiting, hassle and money you will not get a permit to carry. I have lived here  20 years almost and I do not feel unsafe. The police tactics here can be brutal but frankly I am nowhere near where this happens.   None of us want to be in those places.   

Living here is all about who you associate with and who you know!