Postbank, reviews & Thoughts!

Hey everyone, so I'm searching for banks in Bulgaria and wanted to know if anybody has got Postbank, I see they have 2 current branches in Yambol where I'll be a 23 minute drive from and just wanted some opinions as I want to get my residency out of the way being a EU citizen but not sure on how much we need for proof of funds being close to Yambol.

Or any other possible bank that is good enough for residency and day to day banking usage, I've checked Unicredit and FiBank but would love to hear from you all as I've only got a UK account and Revolut
Try RAIFFEISEN Bank - the only one we could get as we are British.

@Pedro_Santos

I have accounts with Bulbank and Fibank, they both seem fine, no problems at all. Bulbank mobile app is actually pretty good.

The issue might be that banks have tightened up, so it's quite hard to open an account with only your passport. Most want to see your residence card. You can shop around, you might get lucky. Or it might be that @berryd's Raiffeisen is one of the few.

I think the best for proof of funds is a certified statement from your Bulgarian branch with a few thousand leva. But I'm not sure how necessary it is. I'd imagine there's a good chance they'd accept a UK bank statement if you have a nice big balance there. When I last did it, I did a notarized declaration of financial independence / non-recourse to Bulgarian state assistance, and provided a copy of my debit card.
@Pedro_Santos

I can vouch for Fibank, never had any issues with them.. you can get online & pay bills from there too...they've always been very helpful in the bank as well.
Im with Post Bank, but only because the estate agent we were buying through opened an account for us with them. Once the purchase was completed the account was changed into a current account with a card. We pay our electric bill and water bill through them and they provided a bank statement when my husband applied for his residency card.  No problems with them upto now after five years.
With all banks in BG you will find good branches and total crap ones.  Dont expect the same from every branch.

the telephone support sucks

you ask for english and they put you bulgarian messages

then I get a new debit card, travel to my country and the card does not work!

it service is worse -

if possible - avoid!

Hello Paul 1111,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Feel free to introduce yourself on the thread  New members of the Bulgaria forum, introduce yourselves here - 2023.

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Paul 1111 Well that is how it is. We are in Bulgaria.

The general banking facilities are ok with most Bulgarian Banks.

We feel the problem is when you need something out of the ordinary.

This is one of the reasons why we have set up a Conciege service in Sofia to help foreigners settle down in Bulgaria if they do not speak the Bulgarian language. Please see [link moderated]if you need more details.

Moderated by Yoginee last year
Reason : Advertising your own services is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

KBC -  UBB group, basically passport and Address is all you need. About a week to get a card.

UniCredit even wanted to know how much my pension was.

Fir bank couldn't get past the door man,

He said we could apply and wait a month for a decision ?

Postbak were ok in Plovdiv and not ok in

Panagyurishte. I think they are not all the same.

I opened an account with FIB a few years back now, i found all of the girls annd security very helpful except one of the girls, sho had a bit of an attitude, this is in Nesebar, so I conntacted the head office in Burgas and told them I am a resident here not on holiday.

My next visit to my bank, the lady in question was all smiles, so head office must have had a word with her. But I did threaten to close my account and go elsewhere.1f60e.svg

@mutley do you have a lot of money in FIB? I dont think they care too much if you dont.

Hiya, at the time I had 2 accounts there, one current account and one Investment account, so together there was quite alot of dosh. Perhaps that is why head office had a word with her.

My wife and I are both with Bulbank

In Burgas..but run with the sattelite branch in Pomorie where we live.

They both are absolutelly brilliant.

Unlike uk banks..they do charge a monthly fee..but very helpful.

@berryd

I'm British and have a FIB bank account no problem.

@Guest7632

I agree with you completely, I only had one problem with one of the girls in my FIB bank account in Nesebar. I asked her for exchange rates for different currencies, she nodded and grunted to a digital sign behind me. I reported her to head office telling them I was about to deposit a sizable sum of money in a savings account but I am rethinking my decision due to the attitude of a member of staff at the branch Next time I went in the bank she was all smiles and very helpful.

@Paul 1111

That is one thing I have to find out if I can use my FIB bank card in the UK.