Hello Im Rob from Houston wanting to relocate to Mexico

Houston wanting to relocate to Mexico and keep pursuing my real estate career or open a small business with a like minded partner. I am to young to retire and way to much energy to just sit around. Maybe interested in a partnership of some sort.
@Houstonteam77056

Welcome to ex-pat. have you explored any of these ideas? have you visited and talked with anyone involved in your business?  Do you speak Spanish? ii not, start there first. That's how ideas work, expand on them.
@Houstonteam77056

I guess depends on where, like here in Merida,Yucatan the housing business has been growing by leaps en bounds. When I cam to look for property in this area nothing more but country site , in the last six years they have build 6 or more neighborhoods  7 years ag I watch them build a whole new village.  There is plenty of movement but also real estate places, you need to have money to live on at least two years before you can live of your sales. this also depends on will you be working from where you live or rent a place of business. Spanish is a must next when there is a will there is a way. I was thinking of doing something similar but my builder ruined it, which is another storGood luck, Hans from Tampa Florida now in the Yucatan

@Houstonteam77056 I moved to CDMX in April from Houston.  I work remotely as an energy broker here.  Would love to chat about any opportunities as there are aplenty.

You like to live in CdM? I won't ne able to do. I prefer lonely places and quiet, certainly not as Cancún. The coast of Yucatán offers such opportunities at real bargain prices for lot lands AND houses.

Anyway, have a good time

@wkthurmo please, what is cdmx?

LettyClark0401. CDMX is short for Mexico City or Cuidad de México.

Luna2020. I, a New Yorker, have lived in all places you mention. Every town has its advantages and disadvantages. It depends on the objectives of each individual.

HoustonTeam77056. My personal advice, if I understood what your objectives are, stay away from CDMX or the State. Cancun just celebrated it's 50th year anniversary. There are tons of RE opportunities 20-40 minutes away from the center. Plenty of land some with cenotes. For example, 10 SQ. Meters by 25 SQ. Meters are as cheap as $3,000 USD.

Mérida Centro is great in transportation, organic farm fresh fruits & vegetables, safer than CDMX. RE is expensive but as everything here...go 20-30 west of Merida and you find lots of cheap land & cheap local house builder.

Just my two cents advice after 3 years in Mexico.

Ciao
@Luna2020

Hi Luna, Where exactly are these bargain properties you referenced - I would like to focus in on them. thanks

TERRENOS PARTICULARES

COLONIA "ALTAMAR"🌊

Ya contamos con una nueva colonia en "Rancho Viejo".🥳

~Medidas desde 8x20

-ENTREGA INMEDIATA-

¡Aparta el tuyo únicamente con $2,000!✨

🔵Se entregan topografíados.📐
🔵Certeza jurídica (contrato notariado).📃
🔵Calles compactadas en cementante.🛣️
🔵Transporte público.🚏

🛑 A sólo $750 pesos quincenales🤩

🛑Con un enganche económico y muy accesible de $6,000.😌

🛑Costo total a financiamiento $170,000.😎

🛑Precio a contado de $80,000.🤠

💥¡NO TE QUEDES SIN EL TUYO!💥

🛑Nos encontramos a unos metros de la Av. Principal "Rancho Viejo", a 300 metros de la carrera de caballos.🐎

🛑Brindamos recorridos todos los días de 10:00 am a 5:00 pm.⏰

Agenda tu cita y con mucho gusto le atenderemos, es sin compromiso alguno.😉
This is just one example of opportunities in Cancun expansion.
"Precio a contado de $80,000'" means cash $4,000 USD.

@joemontezuma lol! Thanks! As for my opinion and selecting a place to live. My husband and I leased a condo for six months in Cancun in the hotel zone. We loved it we were right across the street from a shopping mall/grocery store. The buses took us in to town, and came by and literally like every minute it seemed. We have looked into checking out Merida, just haven't yet. I think with so many people moving there they have kind of adjusted their prices. I would like to get a job there just don't know how to go about a process. I speak English and Spanish. I can also write Spanish maybe not as proficiently as I think I can, LOL. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello LettyClark0401

Thanks for sharing of your stay. Right on that mall, Centro Comercial La Isla, I frequently watch the most beautiful sunset (sorry California:-)

I'm unclear if you are coming to Mexico with a visitors visa or if you hold a permanent residency. If not, all foreigns with only a visitors visas, extendable to 6 months, works as Digital Nomads. Have met many working online marketing products and affiliated to Amazon, Ebay, and other major companies. For foreigns, AirBnB has been good to work with. For example, you cannot hold a job in Mexico with a visitors or temporary resident visas but you could work with AirBnB in Mexico as a tour guides as photographer, managing owners properties to welcome guest/clean before next rental, etc. There are ways. I wish I could share more info in this platform but I would be violating their terms to give you links.

I've lived a few months in Merida. Many pros; cheap farm food, safety, & transportation. But cannot be compared with Cancun and Playa del Carmen which it's a vibe cities, lots of opportunities in the turismo industry. Food is more expensive than Merida but the variety of public transportation Cancun it's better.

Lastly, test the water first before making the big move. One idea, of many, Place a free Ad in Merida, Cancun, or any other city in Mexico on Craigslist to offer private English lessons or as a consultant of your professional expertise. See how many response.

Just my two cents advice after 3 years in Mexico

Ciao
Home… Thanks again! I believe I was told because my father was born in Mexico and I am of Mexican descent That I don't need a visa. That I am grandfathered in as long as I have his birth certificate. Is this correct?
Hello LettyClark0401

Tough question for a layperson's limitations in Mexico's law...but do remembered last year (2021) watching the news on t.v. of the modification to Mexico's Constitution Article 30 & 32 about, if I understood, eliminating dual citizenship. You might have to choose giving up your USA citizenship.

Research it online. Maybe for you may be as simple to submit a letter for naturalization to the Mexican Secretariat of Foreign Affairs. Please research and consult with immigration attorneys.

Finally, you will only be given a visitors visa on arrival. During your visit try to clear your ancestral rights for citizenship. Tip: immigration online appointments calendar are 3 months behind in Cancun.

Just my two cents advice after 3 years in Mexico
Good to know! Thanks again for all your help and I am hoping you are loving your Mexico life! 🤗
@LettyClark0401
It is short for Mexico City.
Cuidad de Mexico = CdMx
@LettyClark0401
Nope, not correct. You need to go through a process to obtain your Mexican nationality. You can possibly do it with your fathers birth certificate, but his name needs to appear on your birth certificate. I would suggest you go to an Immigration office and speak with someone. They will give you an application and let you know what you need.
good Luck
@LettyClark0401
Nope, not correct. You need to go through a process to obtain your Mexican nationality. You can possibly do it with your fathers birth certificate, but his name needs to appear on your birth certificate. I would suggest you go to an Immigration office and speak with someone. They will give you an application and let you know what you need.
good Luck
- @Chilangolite

Mexican Immigration is not where she needs to go. SRE Secretariia Relaciones Exterior is. They need proof and will issue a Mexican passport.
Oh thank you all for your suggestions and advice! It's always wonderful to have friends who have been through this and can help. May you all stay safe and healthy and blessed!

@LettyClark0401 CDMX is Mexico City.