Is a sombrero racist?

Hello guys!

My name is i. And I'm 17 years old and from Germany. I'm going to graduate soon which means that there will be a big party to celebrate the end of our school career. We are going to have a Mexican/Spanish themed event and i wanted to ask if it is racist to wear a sombrero as a white person? I don't want to mock anybody or support any inappropriate stereotypes so I just wanted to ask you!

Not really Ivan. They sell them to tourists. The behavior while wearing them would be more of a factor. Why did you chose that theme for your party ?

That is a very interesting question?

I dont think that...

Mexico is a country of many colours. Out in the country you will see as many white-skinned as brown-skinned men wearing the sombrero. It's to keep the sun off!

Hello Ivan,

Thank you for asking your question here.

I must say that as a 17 year old you are very considerate and respectful towards the cultures of others.

I hope that you have a blast at your event1f60e.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@ivanajuric2106

Absolutely not a problem with that.

I am Mexican and we welcome any one of any race or country to wear sombreros, serapes, ponchos.

We love to see people celebrating our culture.

Don't let the radical leftist tell you it's cultural appropriation or something silly like that.

❤️🇲🇽

it is very rude... to make a mexican party without inviting mexican people, jajaja,  being serious, we don't take any of those things as a racist or stereotype, we just wear sombreros on a parade, festival or so, with the same purpose as you, just to have fun!

some feedback from a Mexican FB page

Never. we don't think about racist. Make your party and do it bigger with your Mexican sombrero and your big moustache. Be happy.

I posed your question on a FB expat and locals, personally never seen any problems

Don't let the radical leftist tell you it's cultural appropriation or something silly like that.
❤️🇲🇽
-@colinconradw

Yep

it is very rude... to make a mexican party without inviting mexican people,
-@colinconradw

If I may offer a suggestion - Invite at least one Mexican - A cook.

Good  Mexican food with theme your party in epic fashion.

Tacos Hmmmmmmmmmm, yummy