Current Covid Test Requirement for Entering Vietnam

I plan to enter for the first time in May, 2022 and I need to know what is the exact requirement for a Covid test coming from the US? Thanks. I know it's been posted before but perhaps outdated.
PCR test 72-hours, RAT test 24-hours before entering.
- @colinoscapee
Another vote for Colin's answer 👍
- @colinoscapee
Thanks but does the PCR test specifically have to be signed off by a doctor? In the states CVS and Walgreens does PCR tests and you get a QR code but no Doctor signing off. I heard without a signature it won't qualify.  In addition I they don't give you a hard copy only the results online. I heard you need a hard copy and a Dr. signature. I'm a new traveler and a bit nervous and I want to try to make the travel as smooth as possible.
There is a difference between a PCR test and an RT-PCR test.  Your airline will tell you exactly what you need to get.  When I went in Feb and when I left in March I needed an RT-PCR test both ways.  It's quite a bit more expensive and available in a few hours.  I paid $259 in the US and $120 in Vietnam.
There is a difference between a PCR test and an RT-PCR test.  Your airline will tell you exactly what you need to get.  When I went in Feb and when I left in March I needed an RT-PCR test both ways.  It's quite a bit more expensive and available in a few hours.  I paid $259 in the US and $120 in Vietnam.
- @SteinNebraska
The one at Walgreens is a RT-PCR test and it's free (or at least is covered by insurance). I had one done last December. And I will call the airline as well. Should I assume If I can get on the airline with it then it's the correct one for VN customs to enter?
- @colinoscapee
Thanks but does the PCR test specifically have to be signed off by a doctor? In the states CVS and Walgreens does PCR tests and you get a QR code but no Doctor signing off. I heard without a signature it won't qualify.  In addition I they don't give you a hard copy only the results online. I heard you need a hard copy and a Dr. signature. I'm a new traveler and a bit nervous and I want to try to make the travel as smooth as possible.
- @MikeTVN
Based on anecdotal reports from people who've entered Vietnam since March 15th, you will definitely need a hard copy certified by a "competent authority".

Unfortunately, a "doctor's signature" is not enough in Vietnam.

Testing and vaccination requirements
- Passengers must have a negative test result for SARS-CoV-2 (except for children under 2 years old) before departure within 72 hours if using RT-PCR/RT-LAMP method or within 24 hours if using the rapid antigen test method for SARS-CoV-2 and certified by the competent authority of the country performing the test.
So you would need to determine if the testing facility itself is a "competent authority" for certifying your test results for international travel.
So you would need to determine if the testing facility itself is a "competent authority" for certifying your test results for international travel.
- @OceanBeach92107

"competent authority' is the tricky one. I guess I have to go with what the airline says and no exact answer.
- @SteinNebraska
Did you need a hard copy? What type of facility did you go to in the states? Is the test proof for the airline or customs or both?
I plan to enter for the first time in May, 2022 and I need to know what is the exact requirement for a Covid test coming from the US? Thanks. I know it's been posted before but perhaps outdated.
- @MikeTVN
Thing is Mike, when do you plan to travel? reason being it changes by the day if not the minute. You are right to get things lined up but be prepared for changes. From what I can see on the interweb for example Cambodia has done away with any testing to enter there & who is to say Vietnam wont do the same tomorrow or the next day or the next day!!!1f62c.svg
- @MikeTVN
Thing is Mike, when do you plan to travel? reason being it changes by the day if not the minute. You are right to get things lined up but be prepared for changes. From what I can see on the interweb for example Cambodia has done away with any testing to enter there & who is to say Vietnam wont do the same tomorrow or the next day or the next day!!!1f62c.svg - @goodolboy

I applied for an e-visa for May 11, 2022 but I won't know if it goes through for a few days yet. And yes I know what you mean. I really didn't want to get the vaccine and held off for more than a year but when the borders opened up I got the shots as part of the requirement and literally a few hours after my second shot VN dropped it as a requirement.
Get the rt-pcr   Watch your 72 hour time limit
I have been in and out 4 times with a new test every time
I figure if I can't afford the test I should stay home.
Anything they want I have ready to save time at immigration
Mike, google RT-PCR testing for your area. It will show labs in your area that will do the test and give you the results quickly. Yes more expensive but you will tell them where you are flying to and make sure they produce the right paperwork. The competent authority in USA are the designated labs that are certified by the state to do the testing. RT-PCR testing for travel is not covered by any insurance. Have a great trip.
- @colinoscapee
- @MikeTVN
CVS and Walgreens farm out the test to a lab that would most likely NOT be competent authority. Also not covered by insurance. Get ready to cough up around $200. for competent authority.

Mike, google RT-PCR testing for your area. It will show labs in your area that will do the test and give you the results quickly. Yes more expensive but you will tell them where you are flying to and make sure they produce the right paperwork. The competent authority in USA are the designated labs that are certified by the state to do the testing. RT-PCR testing for travel is not covered by any insurance. Have a great trip.
- @pogiwayne
Good advice.

I found my solution by checking the website of San Diego International Airport (I'll be flying SAN-SFO-SGN).

They have the link for appointments with the official testing company at the airport.

Even if that's more expensive, it seems like the no-brainer way to go.
- @SteinNebraska
Did you need a hard copy? What type of facility did you go to in the states? Is the test proof for the airline or customs or both?
- @MikeTVN
Yes I needed a hard copy for entry into VIetnam.  Most of the free RT-PCR tests won't give you results in a day so that you can schedule to arrive within 72 hours.   THat's the tough part when coming from US.  Getting it in time but not too early.  As such you need to find a place that gives results in a few hours.
Thanks everyone for your help on this. Much appreciated.
Okay next question. we talked about hard copy one place says they will email the results the same day.  I assume that is not a hard copy?. What exactly constitutes a hard copy? is it a certificate with a stamp on it?
Okay next question. we talked about hard copy one place says they will email the results the same day.  I assume that is not a hard copy?. What exactly constitutes a hard copy? is it a certificate with a stamp on it?
- @MikeTVN
You get a PDF in the email and print it out.  That is your hard copy. You need to present a hard copy when you enter Vietnam.  They won't take it from your phone.
- @MikeTVN
You get a PDF in the email and print it out.  That is your hard copy. You need to present a hard copy when you enter Vietnam.  They won't take it from your phone.
- @SteinNebraska
Much easier than leaving Vietnam, where I had to return to the testing place and get the original including official stamps.

Thanks for the info update.
- @MikeTVN

Replying to my own post. I just spoke to 2 separate agents at United Airlines and questioned them thoroughly about this. First of all they are basically pre-approving you to get into Vietnam as part of the contractual responsibility. And they both said an email printed out or not is sufficient as you can upload it to their online pre-admission website. So they would approve boarding with soft or hard copies. They also both said that the Walgreens RT-PCR would qualify. It also says on their website *meets travel requirements.

However I just spoke to the lab that does Walgreens, Aegis Sciences Corp, and they provide a PDF for the results but NO QR code. So I guess that's a deal breaker.
- @MikeTVN
- @SteinNebraska

Thanks for that. So the 'hard copy' is solved.

So a PDF from the lab is all I need and NOT a QR code from the lab. I bring the printed PDF on the flight and since I don't have a VN phone yet I wait to get there  and get a sim card and a phone number. Then I can register at the 'tokhaiyte' website and get the QR code from there since you need a VN number to register? And that's the QR code I need not one from the lab? If that's the case I can get the RT-PCR test from Walgreens. ?? I hope?

- @MikeTVN
- @SteinNebraska

Thanks for that. So the 'hard copy' is solved.

So a PDF from the lab is all I need and NOT a QR code from the lab. I bring the printed PDF on the flight and since I don't have a VN phone yet I wait to get there  and get a sim card and a phone number. Then I can register at the 'tokhaiyte' website and get the QR code from there since you need a VN number to register? And that's the QR code I need not one from the lab? If that's the case I can get the RT-PCR test from Walgreens. ?? I hope?

- @MikeTVN
I just picked up my quick test result here in Cambodia and no QR code. Will fly in about 9 hours.
I just finished filling out my Health declaration. You do NOT need a VN phone number, you can put your phone number in USA. You cannot finish the declaration until you have your negative test result.
Why do you want to use Walgreens?
You are worrying too much.

I just picked up my quick test result here in Cambodia and no QR code. Will fly in about 9 hours.
I just finished filling out my Health declaration. You do NOT need a VN phone number, you can put your phone number in USA. You cannot finish the declaration until you have your negative test result.

- @pogiwayne
Last I checked I thought that was the case so thanks for correcting me on the phone number.
Walgreens because it's free for me and only a few blocks away instead of a 10 mile drive at time when I'm sure I'll have plenty of other things to do.
Thanks for your information and words of understanding.

- @pogiwayne
Last I checked I thought that was the case so thanks for correcting me on the phone number.
Walgreens because it's free for me and only a few blocks away instead of a 10 mile drive at time when I'm sure I'll have plenty of other things to do.
Thanks for your information and words of understanding.
- @MikeTVN
This information is dated but in January I asked about using Walgreens or CVS for the RT-PCR and was told that insurance would not cover the test unless it was diagnostic. Good luck.

HCMC relaxes Covid checks on foreign arrivals

[link under review]
This information is dated but in January I asked about using Walgreens or CVS for the RT-PCR and was told that insurance would not cover the test unless it was diagnostic. Good luck.

- @pogiwayne

My insurance doesn't ask the reason or purpose and it does cover it. Humana in the states not travel insurance.
Sorry, my link didn't post last night.

vietnamexpress net

HCMC relaxes Covid checks on foreign arrivals

Seems like fantastic news. I hope reports come in soon. Hopefully confirmation from land borders as well.
- @OceanBeach92107

Does that mean no more PCR tests needed or am I confused?
- @OceanBeach92107

- @MikeTVN
You are confused
- @OceanBeach92107

- @MikeTVN
You are confused
- @OceanBeach92107

Uggg...So you still need the hard copy of the test but you don't have to upload it to the website, or get the app or get a QR code?
Thanks,
Confused, unexperienced traveler, not well read, getting dense with age but nice old guy Mike
I heard Saigon airport will no longer require the test also.
- @MikeTVN
Well hey, let's get that rumor started, right?

What reliable source did you hear this from?
- @MikeTVN
I think you are getting confused between Covid test and medical declaration.

[link under review]
- @MikeTVN
I think you are getting confused between Covid test and medical declaration.

[link under review]
- @colinoscapee

Yes correct. I got it now. Thanks
- @MikeTVN

- @OceanBeach92107

The unreliable source was the youtuber 'fat and broke' who I am not big fan of but lately he's be a bit accurate.
- @MikeTVN

- @OceanBeach92107

I was hoping someone could confirm or deny. But I see your point.
- @MikeTVN

- @OceanBeach92107

- @MikeTVN
Here's the deal:

There was a recent HCMC announcement, but it wasn't about testing.

It was essentially the same thing that the national government just announced; the suspension of health declarations.

It's not a suspension of the need for the test, since that's not even under the specific guidance of the Ho Chi Minh City government.

The requirement to be tested is a national requirement put out by the national government.

As someone previously mentioned, it seems you have the requirement to file a health status report and the requirement to be tested confused with each other.

As you can see, the HCMC government is talking about the need for them to require health status reports.

It's not about the requirement to be tested to enter the country.
- @MikeTVN

- @OceanBeach92107

- @MikeTVN
Here's the deal:

There was a recent HCMC announcement, but it wasn't about testing.

It was essentially the same thing that the national government just announced; the suspension of health declarations.

It's not a suspension of the need for the test, since that's not even under the specific guidance of the Ho Chi Minh City government.

The requirement to be tested is a national requirement put out by the national government.

As someone previously mentioned, it seems you have the requirement to file a health status report and the requirement to be tested confused with each other.

As you can see, the HCMC government is talking about the need for them to require health status reports.

It's not about the requirement to be tested to enter the country.
- @OceanBeach92107

Thanks for the excellent clarification. You and Colinoscapee are correct about my prior confusion.