Cost of living in Dominican Republic in 2022

Can someone please explain why your 5 gallon bottle of water is so expensive?  120-150 pesos?  Really?  I live in the so called tourist area (expensive right) Punta Cana.  I pay 35 for 5 gallons of water and it used to be 30! ???

Do we have more water in PC?
I pay 30 pesos per 5 gallon bottle refill in Cevicos.

We refill 4 every 15 to 20 days = 120 pesos so perhaps 250 pesos a month and not 1k. It used to be 25 pesos per refill 10 years ago in the campo near Villa Altagracia. Nearer 60 pesos delivered from a colmado in SD. New empty bottles cost 185 pesos each in La Sirena, Bonao - just renewed ours.

I read that the prices are going up now
So, is it feasible to live in Bavaro or in the Punta Cana area for $1500usd per month with a 10 Yr old not including private school (that will be paid outside of my reg expenses). ?

This will include rent which I was told would be about $800. 
I think you can do it but you may have to live a little more Dominican and a little less American.
@DominicanadaMike

How much more to live American? I will prob buy a car once I move, so insurance and gas too. 
1500 won't do it.  Medical insurance, internet, cable, electric,  cell phones, gas, car insurance etc for 2.  Nope!

Minimum US 2,000 and that will be tough at times
Dominican - rice and beans and chicken - no problem

American - steak, lobster, salmon, tequila - no way
Even rice, beans and chicken not sure you can still do it especially with a kid.
Wow.  So an entry level teacher in the States makes 2300/month here after taxes, retirement and medical is taken out. It seems that that would not be enough to live off of there. I looked at an international school there and the pay was around  $1200/month.  How do the teachers live there off of that?  That does include things such as airfare and visa reimbursement. 

I was hoping to not much of my money from back home, only what I made over there with a few hundred dollars extra as a cushion.
I pay 30 pesos per 5 gallon bottle refill in Cevicos.

We refill 4 every 15 to 20 days = 120 pesos so perhaps 250 pesos a month and not 1k. It used to be 25 pesos per refill 10 years ago in the campo near Villa Altagracia. Nearer 60 pesos delivered from a colmado in SD. New empty bottles cost 185 pesos each in La Sirena, Bonao - just renewed ours.

I read that the prices are going up now
- @lennoxnev

I'm in puerto plata and I pay 60 pesos
        For 5 gallons and the owner at the water filling company' told me it's tripled in the last year and half  due to the cost of living he had to pay the workers and he said wait till the gas increases kick in ….. like everything else
@Browneyegirl

To live comfortably on that salary, which is about 3 times that of an a average Dominican, you will have to change your lifestyle.

The place you rent might not have AC, or even glass windows. You won't have a dishwasher or a clothes dryer, and you will have to ask and make sure you have a hot water heater. You will need to eat locally sourced food rather than imported and fewer convenience foods. If you can find a place close enough to walk to school, that will save you on gas and wear and tear on your car.

Can it be done? Sure - most of the people in this country do it on far less, but many Dominicans also often live in multigenerational homes with a number of incomes contributing to the household.

Also keep in mind that as a US citizen, you are obligated to pay taxes on income earned anywhere in the world, including the employee portion of Social Security taxes. You should be able to apply a Foreign Tax Credit in the amount of any Dominican income taxes paid.
Good post @ddmcghee

Also remember Dominicans can do it!  Some expats can do it.  MOST expats cannot, especially in the beginning. There is a steep  learning curve to living here.  Locals know what to pay. They know where to shop, where to go for help,  who is credible and who is not.   AND of course they speak  Dominican Spanish and use it!  IF you do not then you are at a serious  disadvantage.

When you first arrive the sticker shock is - wow that was not expensive  when talking about labor costs and local items.  And then the  flip side is buying  anything imported -  wow that is expensive.   After a while you learn where to go to buy specific things. We do our best here to  guide people.

Don't expect to live like a local  when you first arrive!   Over a period of  2 to 3 years you will learn  so much and then be able to apply a lot of that info!   

NOTE: I am generalizing from my  19 years experience here!  This is not specific to anyone or any area!  I have seen  hundreds of  expats come and go, likely thousands.   YES some can settle in immediately and get it. Usually they have either expat experience or speak  good Spanish!
@planner

I'm pretty fluent in Spanish as I went to University in Spain.  When in the DR I don't really speak much English.  Usually people don't realize it's my second language, so that will help.  I'm a certified Spanish and ESOL teacher here in the States.  My son is at a Spanish speaking school right now (bilingual program) and is pretty fluent as well.  I found a place that I like for 800/month.  It's only 2 bedrooms but that's fine. 

I will most definitely need AC!!
@planner

I lived in Spain and went to college there.  I guess that's expat experience?  I wasn't with a group and stayed off campus.  However, that was 20 years ago!  It was an adjustment but it was a great experience.  I had to learn the language very quickly not to get taken advantage of and make good friends, both local and expats.
You may be challenged as I have noticed Spanish is spoken and translated differently in various countries.

@Browneyegirl If you can, try to find out from current renters how much they are paying for electricity and how much they use the AC. If you run it in both bedrooms every night, it can add up.

@ddmcghee

Thanks!  I ended up going down and staying a couple of weeks.  I purchased a villa that can be used for a bnb or for me to live in. While there I didn't really use the AC at night.  The fan was good enough for most of the night and day.

I'm still going forward with the plan to move from the Carolinas to PC.  I plan to live off my salary there although I am a rentista here.  I tend to have a plan A and B and C lol.
expect 125-150$/month for electricity in Bavaro if you use moderately the A/C.

1500/month is gonna be very very difficult. You could get cheaper then 800/month for rent tho.

You can get a 2BDR apt in some good area for 500-700.

Price get higher, even for long term contracts when the high season months hits so it's usually better to find your place before November i would say :)

@planner You mentioned you joined a club? Could I please get the information on that as I would like to join one myself

It's called Club Los Prados in Santo Domingo! I don't have their number on my phone. 

@planner  hey, could I have more information to the club you mentioned please? I need activities to do and build friendships for sure, getting boring

@christatz909 Club Los Prados, Inc.    Lorenzo Despradel, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic   

Planner I was looking at Club Deportivo Naco because they have a private beach in Juan Dolio that I have used before but they are really expensive to start ( Although the monthly fee is very low). I just want to find a little private beach that I can pay and use every once in a while that is free of peddlers selling stuff the whole time you are there! LOL

Planner do you have any cost for Prado that you can share?

We call that club Naco and it's ridiculously expensive!  Carumba.

Club Los Prados is I believe 10,000 RD subscription and 1,000 Rd a month for a family.

It's a very middle class club.  Nice pool basketball, volleyball, soccer, other sports and classes, pool, bars.  Live entertainment one night a week.  Bbq and karaoke sometimes etc.  They have a gym, restaurant and indoor club as well.

It is a great value for this type of facility.  Last few months they were renovating and putting in additional facilities!