Looking for help on NIE or NIF

Hi,

We are looking to buy some property probably along la costa Tropical, with the intention of being fairly close to la Sierra Nevada as we are in to our snowboarding (and skiing).

So quite soon into my research it became clear I needed a tax number, though this is where it becomes a little unclear for me. I know this being an expat forum might not be directly the correct place to be asking this but was hoping with the amplitude of people moving to Spain that someone may have some experience or knowledge on the matter.

I have dual nationality Spanish / British and living in The Netherlands (not that that makes much difference, I think). Though have never lived permanently in Spain and thus do not have a DNI. So from what I have been able to find online the NIE is for foreigners and what I think I need is the NIF.

Is this correct? There is not a lot of info online of Spanish nationals wanting to buy property in Spain from abroad of which a lot of it is contradictory.

I have not been able to get through to the consulate by phone in the week I have been trying. (they did just answer an e-mail within a couple days which i was very surprised to see) though, did not address the question i had asked about the NIE or NIF and which would I need. Their booking system for an appointment has 0 possibilities up until mid April to make an appointment for a NIE (which i assume they open the booking agenda in blocks, as it is not possible to make any appointments thereafter) I was able to book an appointment for a NIF in the end of March.

so here's hoping to there has been someone here in the same boat as me and can point me in the right direction.

Not the same boat exactly... but I guess we're all in similar boats as we need the magic number when buying a property or opening a bank account in Spain.

I think it's the DNI (for Spanish citizens) vs NIE and/or TIE (for foreigners). However, the NIF is the same number. The DNI (and TIE) is a biometric ID card. The NIF (and NIE) is just the number.

NIE = Número de Identidad de Extranjero
TIE = Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero
DNI = Documento Nacional de Identidad
NIF = Número de Identificación Fiscal

There was no drama for me as one of those pesky foreigners... but I suppose they'll probably organize a ticker-tape parade for one of their prodigal sons... giving up flatness and bicycles for paella, sunshine, and Mediterranean beaches. :-)

So, typically, you'd get your DNI, which is issued at local police stations. And then you won't need to ask for a NIF. But if you don't have a DNI, you can get the NIF issued by the tax agency.

Are you sure you don't have your DNI already somewhere? I read that folks typically get it at age 14.

DNI link is here, looks like you can get it at police stations. It's a bit confusing as it asks for your DNI, but there is an option for lost (which I guess includes never had).

https://www.citapreviadnie.es/citaPreviaDniExp/

The official info page for obtaining a new DNI

https://www.dnielectronico.es/PortalDNI … ;id_menu=7

"first registration
As dictated by Article 5 of Royal Decree 1553/2005 of December 23, to request the issuance of the National Identity Document, the physical presence of the person to whom it is to be issued, the payment of the fee in cash , or using payment by electronic means upon obtaining the appointment and the presentation of the following documents :

Literal birth certificate issued by the corresponding Civil Registry. For these purposes, only certifications issued with a maximum of six months in advance of the filing date of the request for the issuance of the National Identity Document " and with the express mention that it is issued for the sole purpose of obtaining this document " will be admitted. . (In the case of bilingual Autonomous Communities, it is recommended that this certification also be included in Spanish, to avoid delays due to its translation).

A recent color photograph of the applicant's face, size 32x26 millimeters, with a plain white uniform background, taken from the front with the head completely uncovered and without dark glasses or any other clothing that may prevent or hinder the identification of the person. (The photograph must clearly show the oval of the face, including eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth and chin, and must be of high resolution and on good quality photographic paper).

Certificate or registration form from the Town Hall where the applicant is domiciled, issued no later than three months before the date of the DNI 3.0 application.

Spaniards residing abroad will accredit their domicile by means of a certification from the Diplomatic or Consular Representation where they are registered as residents, (issued no later than three months before the date of the DNI 3.0 application).

When the holder of the DNI 3.0 is under 14 years of age or a person with judicially complemented capacity, it will be carried out in the presence of the person entrusted with parental authority or guardianship, or the person empowered by the latter. You can download the model of seizure , being important to read the informative note that is downloaded with it.

In those cases in which the first registration as a naturalized citizen is made and the citizen has a Foreigner Identification Card (TIE) or Union Citizen Registration Certificate, which contains a foreigner identification number (NIE), you must provide it , as an essential requirement , at the time of processing the DNI.

SPANISH CITIZENS RESIDENTS ABROAD

Holders of documents issued with domicile abroad, as soon as they transfer their residence to Spain, even in the case of issues with permanent validity, must renew said document for the purpose of updating their domicile."

From my quick read, it looks like you need to obtain a few documents and be physically in Spain to get the DNI issued via the police. You will definitely need to do this at some point (and maybe you should just go and get it over with).

But, if you really want to do a remote purchase, this won't work. In which case, perhaps you try for the DNI (or the NIF) via your local Spanish embassy. I think most here, including me, would recommend you reconsider! It's not a toaster on Amazon... you're probably talking about spending serious money. :-)

They do have a page about DNI, but I think that says go to Spain. :-)

Here's the Spanish embassy page for the Netherlands
http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados … y-DNI.aspx

I can't find their page about NIF, but it seems there is a process to get a NIF at an embassy.

Here's the info copied from the Spanish Embassy in Helsinki:

"Obtaining the Tax Identification Number (NIF) at the Spanish Embassy in Helsinki
10/29/2019
Individuals, legal entities or entities without personality residing abroad who need to identify themselves for tax purposes in Spain, may request a Tax Identification Number (NIF) at the Embassy of Spain in Helsinki. The Tax Agency will assign them a NIF, avoiding their displacement to the corresponding Tax Office in Spain. 

Persons or entities that request their NIF abroad will be assigned to the Madrid Special Delegation of the State Tax Administration Agency.

There are three situations in which a NIF can be requested from this Consular Section:

a) Spaniards who, because they reside abroad, lack a DNI (they have never obtained it)

b) Foreigners who lack a NIE

c) Legal persons and foreign entities

Data and documentation to provide in cases a) and b)

Interested parties must necessarily provide the following information:
1. Surname and Name.
2. Tax Identification Number or Code, or Passport Number, assigned by the administration of the country of residence.
3. Nationality.
4. Sex.
5. Place and date of birth: day, month and year.
6. Tax residence or domicile abroad
. 7. If applicable, name and surnames or business name or full name and tax identification number of the legal representatives for persons who lack the capacity to act in the tax order.

The interested party must provide the following documentation:

1. Valid passport. Original and photocopy. Natural persons of foreign nationality may alternatively provide, where appropriate, a valid Identity Document equivalent to the National Identity Document.

2. Document proving your residence in the consular district corresponding to the Consular Office to which you submit the application. For these purposes, natural persons of Spanish nationality must be registered in the Consular Registration Registry of the Consular Office to which they submit the application.

3. In the event that the request is submitted by means of a representative, supporting documentation of the representation.

4. In the case of minors under 18 years of age, a family book or birth certificate (original and photocopy) and passport or DNI of the person exercising parental authority or guardianship (original and photocopy) are required."

Aha! Otros trámites! Has your NIF procedure...

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consulados … s/NIF.aspx

They have a cita previa page so you can request an appointment.

And it's free. Amsterdam here we come...

"Tax Identification Number (NIF)

Natural persons

You can obtain a NIF for free at this Consulate:

Spaniards residing in the Netherlands who do not have a DNI.
Foreigners residing in the Netherlands who do not have a NIE.

The NIF of type L (for Spaniards) or M (for foreigners) will be valid as long as the holder does not obtain a DNI or a NIE. If so, you must notify the Tax Agency within two months of being assigned by the General Directorate of the Police of the Ministry of the Interior.

To request a NIF at this Consulate, you must go to our offices in person, providing the following documentation:

- Original valid passport and a copy of it (in USB). Alternatively, original valid Identity Document equivalent to the DNI, and a copy (in USB).
- International certificate of registration in the corresponding City Council (Internationale Uittreksel uit Bevolkingsregister ), issued with a maximum of three months before the date of the request. For people of Spanish nationality, certificate of registration in the Consular Registration Registry.

The request may be submitted through a representative, in which case, in addition to the above, the representative must provide supporting documentation of their identity and the representation with which they act."

hey thanks for the information

"Spaniards residing abroad will accredit their domicile by means of a certification from the Diplomatic or Consular Representation where they are registered as residents, (issued no later than three months before the date of the DNI 3.0 application)."

seems like the bit I need to arrange for the DNI.

It is not that I  will not be visiting Spain (remote purchase that you are talking about) though what I can arrange earlier and easier (here in the Netherlands) i would like to arrange here just because of ease and cost. Leaves me some more money for other "things" :)

The NIF process at the embassy looks pretty easy, so it might be worth doing.

I think there is an online access to the required proof of address (assuming you are registered locally). The only catch is that it's accessible only by lawyers, so you gotta find (pay) someone to get it for you. The online service fee is only 22 euros, so hopefully they would only charge a few euros more to submit your request.