New members of the Vietnam forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Does somebody knows ,and is up to date about this, when you arrive in vietnam, and register at the local office and  intend to apply for residential card if you need a document ,to show clearence from customs? In 2013 it was like that but today?
Somebody knows?

- @funny888xgmail.com
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=983085
Ok! Thanks for tip!
But before i come there i have already passed the customs! Hehe!

I couldnt see anyway ,where you apply any sign of customs document wanted!

It should have been there, in that case i guess! But not sure though!
But the adres is good to have in any case!
You live in HCMC?

@Julien hi I would love to teach in Vietnam

@Julien hi I would love to teach in Vietnam

- @jadwera
Do you have a degree

@Julien I already am here since December 2019

I have a problem ,I bought a 100000 voucher for Mobifone, re loaded ok, no data? How can I transfer units from phone to data
@Julien I already am here since December 2019

I have a problem ,I bought a 100000 voucher for Mobifone, re loaded ok, no data? How can I transfer units from phone to data
- @masquelierphilippe7

I recommend you make a new post so it is more recognised.
Hello to all members of the Vietnam Forum.

I'm traveling to BKK from USA  end of May and arriving in BKK on 01 June 2022.

I'm applying for one year visa for Vietnam and planning on staying in Saigon, as a stating point.

Kind Regards from Lawrence !
Hello to all members of the Vietnam Forum.

I'm traveling to BKK from USA  end of May and arriving in BKK on 01 June 2022.

I'm applying for one year visa for Vietnam and planning on staying in Saigon, as a stating point.

Kind Regards from Lawrence !
- @lpsedillo
Good luck with getting a 1-year visa, unless you have confirmed employment or have a legitimate company sponsoring you.

One year tourist visas and Visa on Arrival business visas are not legally available at this time.

Only the 30-day e-Visa.

It's possible that one-year visas will be available in the future.

Please be very careful if anyone is promising you that they can get you a 1-year Visa is this time, as there are a lot of scams currently on the internet and people are losing a lot of money paying for fictitious visas.
i can't repeat enough times that the only visa that is a sure thing is one that you purchase at a Vietnamese Embassy or Consulate.
It appears that management either deleted or relocated a significant number of posts here.  Can we know why?
It appears that management either deleted or relocated a significant number of posts here.  Can we know why?
- @THIGV
Promoting a particular business or event, especially in a first post and in the introduction sticky thread is both off-topic and against the forum code of conduct.

Appropriate events can be submitted HERE for consideration by admin

Good morning everyone,

@THIGV, like OceanBeach92107 rightly mentioned, promotion of businesses, events or services of any kind goes against the forum code of conduct, which is why such posts are moved by moderators.

Cheers

Djameel
Expat.com Team
Greeting,

Has been 3 weeks in Hai Phuong. Malaysian origin but posted by here by my company from Singapore. Browsing thru this forum and found to be intricating but fun at the same time. That is why decided to register and now here I am writing this.

Nevertheless great to be in VN and love the foods but obviously misses the "curry and spices" back home. Others... not much of a complaint as will need to live with it obviously.

Well... hit me up if you are well verse in this province or introducing any place that might be an attraction or food that not the be miss. Will be delighted to explore.

Thanks for having me here and stay safe everyone.

p/s: need not have to worry of vehicle plate no. starting with 15 and 16 as it is not as scary as you may think.
Hi everyone, my name is Ivan, from Malaysia and I am marrying a Vietname girl this year before moving to Vietnam 2023. We hope to familiar job opportunities and best place to settle down. Cheers
Greeting,

Has been 3 weeks in Hai Phuong. Malaysian origin but posted by here by my company from Singapore. Browsing thru this forum and found to be intricating but fun at the same time. That is why decided to register and now here I am writing this.

Nevertheless great to be in VN and love the foods but obviously misses the "curry and spices" back home. Others... not much of a complaint as will need to live with it obviously.

Well... hit me up if you are well verse in this province or introducing any place that might be an attraction or food that not the be miss. Will be delighted to explore.

Thanks for having me here and stay safe everyone.

p/s: need not have to worry of vehicle plate no. starting with 15 and 16 as it is not as scary as you may think.
- @alexneoh
Welcome to the Vietnam forum AlexNeoh!

Yes, this website is somewhat intricate.

Hopefully you will discover the various features of Expat.com in addition to the forum.

On an Android phone, click the three bars in the upper left corner to reveal the drop-down menu.

THIGV can tell you how to do that on a computer.

Always feel free to start a new thread if you can't find the answers you need.

Cheers!

O.B.
Hi everyone, my name is Ivan, from Malaysia and I am marrying a Vietname girl this year before moving to Vietnam 2023. We hope to familiar job opportunities and best place to settle down. Cheers
- @ivanchooi
Welcome to the Vietnam forum Ivan!

Congratulations on your engagement to a citizen of Vietnam.

Hopefully your future wife will be able to assist you in navigating the bureaucratic obstacles that usually confound expats.

Good luck and best wishes!

O.B.
@OceanBeach92107

Hi OB,

Seems that you have been appearing a lot most of the time in this forum. Nice knowing you anyway. Well... thanks for the guidance on navigating this forum. Hope to hit you up whenever foreseen issue. Good day and cheers.

@OceanBeach92107 I agree good luck with getting a one year visa I can't even get a 30 day visa US consulate tells me they are not giving them out

@OceanBeach92107 I agree good luck with getting a one year visa I can't even get a 30 day visa US consulate tells me they are not giving them out

- @Thanh6161
Hi again Thanh,

That's because:

1. US Consulates/Embassies don't give out visas to foreign countries.

2. Embassies and Consulates of Vietnam in foreign countries (such as the United States) are not currently issuing ANY tourist visas.

3. At the moment, unless you are a citizen of one of the relatively few countries with visa exempt status in Vietnam (including ASEAN countries) then your only option is to apply online for the 30 day e-Visa (click for link)

That's just as good as any visa that can be issued by an embassy/consulate.

I hope this information helps you get the visa you need under current restrictions (click for related thread link)

Cheers!

O.B.

- @Thanh6161
Hi again Thanh,

That's because:

2. Embassies and Consulates of Vietnam in foreign countries (such as the United States) are not currently issuing ANY tourist visas.
- @OceanBeach92107

I believe that Mr Thanh6161 may have made the same error that several American Vietnamese have made on these pages.   That is referring to a Vietnamese Consulate or Embassy in the US as the US Consulate.   Hence your reply #2 is accurate but #1 is true but superfluous.

Mr Thanh:   Don't feel bad.   You're not the first to make that mistake, and you surely will not be the last.  Perhaps it comes from what linguists call "code switching" that happens when people directly move the idioms and word order from their L1 to their L2.

- @Thanh6161
Hi again Thanh,

That's because:

- @OceanBeach92107

I believe that Mr Thanh6161 may have made the same error that several American Vietnamese have made on these pages.   That is referring to a Vietnamese Consulate or Embassy in the US as the US Consulate.   Hence your reply #2 is accurate but #1 is true but superfluous.

Mr Thanh:   Don't feel bad.   You're not the first to make that mistake, and you surely will not be the last.  Perhaps it comes from what linguists call "code switching" that happens when people directly move the idioms and word order from their L1 to their L2.
- @THIGV
Every post made in this forum becomes searchable content on the internet.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not all that critical that one person be advised of a misconception or mistake and given correct information.

However, it's the goal of advisors and experts and moderators in the forum to insure that new searchable content be as accurate as possible, providing helpful and dependable information for expats and those considering an expat experience who will be reading these posts in the future.

Thank you for the many times in the past when you have created useful content in the forum.
Hi Guys,

nice to meet you all!

I have traveled through Vietnam a number of times and have now made the decision to live and work in Vietnam for the long term.

I'm from Germany, speak both German and English and have worked as a (senior) account manager for IT companies for the past 12 years.

Do you think I can find a company in Vietnam that will hire and sponsor me?

Alternatively, I could start a German remote job where I can work from anywhere in the world, but that wouldn't be entirely legal, since I would only have a tourist visa in Vietnam. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Have a nice weekend!
Hi Guys,

nice to meet you all!

I have traveled through Vietnam a number of times and have now made the decision to live and work in Vietnam for the long term.

I'm from Germany, speak both German and English and have worked as a (senior) account manager for IT companies for the past 12 years.

Alternatively, I could start a German remote job where I can work from anywhere in the world, but that wouldn't be entirely legal, since I would only have a tourist visa in Vietnam. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Have a nice weekend!
- @ahaaf87

Hi welcome to Expat.com,

Check out the jobs section also post your C.V.

Any questions you have please start a seperate thread so members can see what info you need - this area is just to say hi and introduce yourself.

Have a nice weekend!
- @ahaaf87

Several people have posted on this forum that as long as your employer is overseas and you are paid directly into your overseas bank, that type of employment is legal.   However, they may only be reflecting the fact that it is undetectable by the authorities.   For a real opinion, you should consult a law firm.    There are several western law firms in Vietnam that should be familiar with the laws on that situation.

I am sorry that I can't give you a name as we have been told by our Vietnam Expert that we may not promote companies or products.

Have a nice weekend!
- @ahaaf87

Several people have posted on this forum that as long as your employer is overseas and you are paid directly into your overseas bank, that type of employment is legal.   However, they may only be reflecting the fact that it is undetectable by the authorities.   For a real opinion, you should consult a law firm.    There are several western law firms in Vietnam that should be familiar with the laws on that situation.

I am sorry that I can't give you a name as we have been told by our Vietnam Expert that we may not promote companies or products.
- @THIGV

I think it will come down to your residency status.

I know people who have been living  in VN, working online and  paid offshore for years. They have never had any issues.

Have a nice weekend!
- @ahaaf87

- @THIGV

not my rule - admin has a long history of deleting links to biz for services, we have a services section and classified section where members can look through -

ADVERTISING:
The forum is not aimed at helping you to promote your company and products. If your thread is of a commercial nature, please use the dedicated sections: we invite you to register in theVietnam Business directory or to have a look at our Advertising page.

Have a nice weekend!
- @ahaaf87

- @THIGV

not my rule - admin has a long history of deleting links to biz for services, we have a services section and classified section where members can look through -

ADVERTISING:
The forum is not aimed at helping you to promote your company and products. If your thread is of a commercial nature, please use the dedicated sections: we invite you to register in theVietnam Business directory or to have a look at our Advertising page.
- @Andybris2020

I feel that common sense should prevail. If a newbie posts a reference to a business, the rule is understandable. Someone who is a long-term poster is a different story.

In relation to Expat's Business Directory, it is as useful as using one chopstick.

@Julien ……..just moved here from Boise, Idaho. Retired Marine from the war back in combat 66/67/68. Actually bought here in dalat 2 years ago but was held up from covid. Now have finally entered last month and started cancer treatments for agent orange……treatments that the VA refused me referrals to UCLA medical center for re occurring cancer now. Problem I have is I use US Bank yet in the States, but having trouble with the ATM visa machine. It rejects me at any site using the PLUS system. Just returned from Cambodia on a visa run to extend my visa for vietnam and the ATM card there works perfectly. All US Bank cards worked there, but now came back to Vietnam and the only US bank card that works is still the charge. Went to all banks here and they cannot say why the ATM will not dispense dong. Any ideas as to what might be happening here in Dalat on this matter.

ADVERTISING:
- @Andybris2020

Actually the only reason that I would have a link is because it was previously posted on the forum and I saved it.   This place used to be about helping people.

ADVERTISING:
- @Andybris2020

Actually the only reason that I would have a link is because it was previously posted on the forum and I saved it.   This place used to be about helping people.
- @THIGV

It still is there has been several posts last few days about yogurt, milk etc which linked to shops or online shops, in the past people have listed several computer shops for repair etc that they have used other members have listed others they know of or used.

Admin usually deletes links or posts when it is seen to be promoting/shilling a biz on the forum.

I've sent a message to Julien on what his take is

Hello everyone,

My name is Shyn. I live in Asia for more than 25 years and owing to the nature of my job which is on project basis, I have never been fixed in one place. So i lived 7 years in Korea, 6 in China, 3 in Singapore and between 1 and 3 years in Indonesia, Philippines, Australia and Vietnam. I also worked in Brazil and Dominican Republic. Therefore I am not new to moving from place to place. Since 2010 I have been many times in Vietnam, but never settled here. Now I am retired and since I have some knowledge of the people, culture and the system, am thinking Vietnam is not a bad place to stay. Even though I bought a flat in HCMC, I am anyway still undecided as I consider Philippines and Malaysia good places to stay too.   
@THIGV

Thanks a lot. That would be amazing.
@ahaaf87

in Facebook post your question and specialties in the group Tech Expats in HCMC (Saigon).  It isn't very active but there offshoring agencies and consultants there.
@THIGV

Thanks a lot. That would be amazing.
- @ahaaf87

Sent you a private message.
Hello friends, 1f600.svg
I am new in this group. I am German, 62 and I am planning to retire in Vietnam this year 2022 and would like to open a small coffee-shop (invest.: 12.000 EUR). Is it possible to get a business Visa for this amount of invest? If not, how large must it be, to grant a long term VISA, for 10 years? Furthermore I ask you polite to please tell me, where could I get additional information to the topic retirement and Visa? Thank you in advance for your replies. 1f64f.svg
Cheers, Mateo
Hello friends, 1f600.svg
I am new in this group. I am German, 62 and I am planning to retire in Vietnam this year 2022 and would like to open a small coffee-shop (invest.: 12.000 EUR). Is it possible to get a business Visa for this amount of invest? If not, how large must it be, to grant a long term VISA, for 10 years? Furthermore I ask you polite to please tell me, where could I get additional information to the topic retirement and Visa? Thank you in advance for your replies. 1f64f.svg
Cheers, Mateo
- @Hugo Mateo
Welcome to the Vietnam forum Hugo!

For what you are looking to do, that's not going to be a large enough investment.

In order to secure a 3 year Temporary Residence Card (TRC) you will need to invest at least ₫3,000,000,000 VNĐ (currently equivalent to approximately $129,411.00 USD or €123,042.00 EUR)

Unless you are offering to invest millions or billions of Euros in government approved business opportunities, you won't be eligible for 10 year permanent residency until you are first in Vietnam as a temporary resident for 3 years followed by being a temporary resident for 5 years.

Rick/Budman will hopefully see this and share the cold, hard facts with you.

There are many, MANY threads (search link) in the forum on the topic of "retirement visa" (which simply put, doesn't exist, apart from being married to a Vietnamese citizen).

To make matters worse, the only tourist visa currently available is the 30-day e-Visa, which cannot be renewed at this time, requiring The traveler to exit the country and reenter on a new Visa.

Visa agents and embassies and consulates are not able to help you with a longer tourist visa at this time.

if you really want to know your options for temporary residents, associated with investment, I encourage you to contact a reputable attorney in Vietnam.

You would eventually need the help of an attorney to establish your business.

Good luck and good reading.

O.B.
Hi Guys,

nice to meet you all!

Have a nice weekend!
- @ahaaf87
hi

as I know you could get a tourist 30-day e - visa but if you want to renew it you have to go somewhere out of Vietnam and then get back.
One-year tourist visas and Visa on Arrival business visas are not legally available at this time but It's possible that one-year visas will be available in the future.

you can take a look for a job at this website

Good luck!

@OceanBeach92107
I really appreciate your feedback and
it has been a great guidance for me.
Thank you very much!
Sincerly
Hugo
Hello. Just joined this forum. I currently live in southern CA, USA. I left vietnam in 1978 when I was still a child. Being born in the countryside, I never attended school in vietnam so I can not read or write vietnamese. However, I do understand and speak a little bit of Vietnamese enough for a simple conversation.

I'm 57 and currently planning for earlier retirement. Return to Vietnam to retire  is on top of my list. I just started my research and try to understand various retire in Vietnam options . I hope from reading and asking questions on this forum may help.

This November will be my 1st trip to Vietnam.  1st priority is to travel and see the entire country as much as time allows.  Will start from the north in Hanoi and travel down south to Ho Chi Minh city. 

Based on what I know at this moment, pursuit getting a Vietnamese passport could be my initial milestone.  Regain my Vietnamese citizenship will be the ultimate goal. However, all my parent's vietnamese papers were lost.  So I will need to start with the route of no birth certificate.  According to my mother, I was born at home. I never had a birth certificate.  My parents no longer available to re-register my birth.

Any pointer on where to start or info on how to get my Vietnamese birth certificate is greatly appreciated.

Tom
Hello. Just joined this forum. I currently live in southern CA, USA. I left vietnam in 1978 when I was still a child. Being born in the countryside, I never attended school in vietnam so I can not read or write vietnamese. However, I do understand and speak a little bit of Vietnamese enough for a simple conversation.

I'm 57 and currently planning for earlier retirement. Return to Vietnam to retire  is on top of my list. I just started my research and try to understand various retire in Vietnam options . I hope from reading and asking questions on this forum may help.

This November will be my 1st trip to Vietnam.  1st priority is to travel and see the entire country as much as time allows.  Will start from the north in Hanoi and travel down south to Ho Chi Minh city. 

Based on what I know at this moment, pursuit getting a Vietnamese passport could be my initial milestone.  Regain my Vietnamese citizenship will be the ultimate goal. However, all my parent's vietnamese papers were lost.  So I will need to start with the route of no birth certificate.  According to my mother, I was born at home. I never had a birth certificate.  My parents no longer available to re-register my birth.

Any pointer on where to start or info on how to get my Vietnamese birth certificate is greatly appreciated.

Tom
- @Desert Ant
Welcome to the forum, Tom.

You might get some assistance on this forum, but your first step should be to contact the San Francisco Consulate General of Vietnam (link to English portal).

Once you have exhausted all of their ways to officially assist you and if you still need help, bring your questions here, realizing that nothing anyone tells you is official information unless they provide a link to a government document or website.

It's possible you're going to need the assistance of an attorney at some point.

Good luck 🤞

O.B.
Closed