Vietnam Reopening for Tourists, With Conditions

The three phase plan for allowing tourists from certain countries to enter Vietnam is now becoming clearer.

Tourists will be highly restricted to one of the 5 locales and designated hotels, restaurants and specific activities of their tour group:

vietnamnews..vn/politics-laws/1072560/absolute-safety-for-locals-foreign-tourists-when-international-tourism-resumes-foreign-ministry.html

Thanks

MikeTVN wrote:

Thanks

You are welcome.

From what I remember reading about your situation, you and I are now in the same boat.

Coming into Vietnam as a part of a tour group that's restricted in so many ways will not allow me to reconnect with my partner there.

So it looks as if June of 2022 is a much more likely time for an opening to freestyle tourism, but even that has not been officially decided.

If June is going to be the time for me to go see friends in Hanoi, that would be good! I also would just like to be able to vagabond around Vietnam. The earlier opening and restrictions I understand but for what I need it won't work. Perhaps Cambodia will open more and I can get an ordinary visa there on arrival and then extend it to their retirement extension. I'm happy now with where I am.. Would definitely want to get to Can tho and Hanoi plus a number of other locations to see friends. June it is hopefully!

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
MikeTVN wrote:

Thanks

You are welcome.

From what I remember reading about your situation, you and I are now in the same boat.

Coming into Vietnam as a part of a tour group that's restricted in so many ways will not allow me to reconnect with my partner there.

So it looks as if June of 2021 is a much more likely time for an opening to freestyle tourism, but even that has not been officially decided.

Yes :( ...... of June, 2022 you meant.

mpmilestogo wrote:

If June is going to be the time for me to go see friends in Hanoi, that would be good! I also would just like to be able to vagabond around Vietnam. The earlier opening and restrictions I understand but for what I need it won't work. Perhaps Cambodia will open more and I can get an ordinary visa there on arrival and then extend it to their retirement extension. I'm happy now with where I am.. Would definitely want to get to Can tho and Hanoi plus a number of other locations to see friends. June it is hopefully!

The way I'm reading everything, and my interpretation could possibly be wrong, June is a target time for the government, but it hasn't been officially confirmed because they still want to go through these three phases of reintroducing tourism.

Even phase 2 and phase 3 require the successful completion of phase 1 before definitive decisions are made.

Anyone with specific knowledge about actual decisions the government has made is welcome to correct me.

It looks as if Ha Long Bay is about as close as a person will be able to get to Hanoi in the near future.

I was really hoping to get back and see friends in Hanoi last spring when their Delta outbreaks began.

I would really like to experience Tết there.

Good luck with your plans.

MikeTVN wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
MikeTVN wrote:

Thanks

You are welcome.

So it looks as if June of 2022 (edited) is a much more likely time for an opening to freestyle tourism, but even that has not been officially decided.

Yes :( ...... of June, 2022 you meant.

Thanks for catching that quickly for me. Just in time for me to make an edit.

😎👍

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
mpmilestogo wrote:

The way I'm reading everything, and my interpretation could possibly be wrong, June is a target time for the government, but it hasn't been officially confirmed because they still want to go through these three phases of reintroducing tourism.

Even phase 2 and phase 3 require the successful completion of phase 1 before definitive decisions are made.

Anyone with specific knowledge about actual decisions the government has made is welcome to correct me.

It looks as if Ha Long Bay is about as close as a person will be able to get to Hanoi in the near future.

I was really hoping to get back and see friends in Hanoi last spring when their Delta outbreaks began.

Several articles I have read recently have stated that if phases 1 & 2 go well they will open up for everyone April. Hopefully this plays out well so I can go be with my fiancée.
Good luck to everyone.

pogiwayne wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
mpmilestogo wrote:

Several articles I have read recently have stated that if phases 1 & 2 go well they will open up for everyone April. Hopefully this plays out well so I can go be with my fiancée.
Good luck to everyone.

Mike and I are going to have to build a bigger boat to fit the three of us...

;)

Any chance you can share the links to any of those articles?

When we see information such as that, a lot of us want to check and see if it's official information or just rumor.

Thanks

pogiwayne, Can you please post those readings ?

MarkinNam wrote:

Google is your friend.

Tourism

In phase 1, will restore package flights (combo) for subjects who are Vietnamese citizens in parallel with organizing pilot flights to welcome international tourists to a number of localities (Phu Quoc, Phu Quoc, Phu Quoc, Phu Quoc, Phu Quoc, Phu Quoc, Da Nang, Phu Quoc, Phu Quoc, Phu Quoc, and Da Nang). Khanh Hoa, Quang Ninh...).

In phase 2 (from January 1, 2022), the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam proposes piloting regular flights that only carry passengers with a certificate of having had a full dose of Covid-19 vaccine or confirmed to have recovered from Covid-19 disease. 19 entering Vietnam without requiring written consent from the authorities to enter Vietnam (except for immigration and medical control requirements).

In phase 3 (expected from April 2022), depending on the progress of vaccination in Vietnam and assessment of herd immunity after mass vaccination in society, will deploy Regular flights carrying passengers into Vietnam do not require post-entry quarantine when applying the "vaccine passport" mechanism.

Phase 4: Operating regular international flights on demand, expected to apply from July 2022 (depending on vaccination progress in Vietnam and assessment of herd immunity after vaccination). mass vaccines in society.

Source: nld.com.vn

Previously, the government makes plan for international flights on regular basis and it happens to be not feasible.

For instance, since Mar 2021, they used to have plan for re-opening featuring 3-phase proposal
Phase 1: from Mar 20 - Mar 21
Phase 2: from Jul 21 - Sep 21
Phase 3: Sep 21

Net results: lockdown and hard lockdown

Source: baochinhphu.vn

As far as I know the situation is improving but hunting down F0, lockdown, and restriction are still few best things we got.

I wouldn't count on that./.

MarkinNam wrote:

https://tienphongnews.com/vietnams-inte … 17139.html

This is just one of many. There is actually one from the government but having trouble finding it right now.
YES Google is your friend so anyone can search this out....

pogiwayne wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

This is just one of many. There is actually one from the government but having trouble finding it right now.

Wait.

There IS a government source (unlike the commercial links being shared here) but you can't find it so we should Google it?

Even the commercial link Colin shared has a government source listed, but it says nothing about plans for stage 2 and stage 3.

chinhphu.vn/Home/Govt-okays-pilot-roadmap-for-opening-borders-to-foreign-tourists/202111/46023.vgp

I don't mean to pick on you, but this is how unfounded rumors get started here in the forum.

Anything the private commercial sites share beyond that is likely the result of knowledge about conversations that are taking place about things that haven't been officially decided yet.

This post (from above in this thread) by haiphinguyen is likely the best explanation of what MAY happen, drawing from government sources and past performance.

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=961808#5281482

Don't get your hopes up before the chickens hatch...

;)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
pogiwayne wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

Wait.

There IS a government source (unlike the commercial links being shared here) but you can't find it so we should Google it?

Even the commercial link Colin shared has a government source listed, but it says nothing about plans for stage 2 and stage 3.

chinhphu.vn/Home/Govt-okays-pilot-roadmap-for-opening-borders-to-foreign-tourists/202111/46023.vgp

I don't mean to pick on you, but this is how unfounded rumors get started here in the forum.

Anything the private commercial sites share beyond that is likely the result of knowledge about conversations that are taking place about things that haven't been officially decided yet.

This post (from above in this thread) by haiphinguyen is likely the best explanation of what MAY happen, drawing from government sources and past performance.

expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=961808#5281482

Don't get your hopes up before the chickens hatch...

;)

I disagree with you OB, you are picking on anyone that you disagree with here or they disagree. This is a continual thing with you.
Just like the pages of comments about you knowing a good trustworthy lawyer. Not something worth arguing about and especially not here.
Take care and relax down on the beach. A mellow life.............enjoy it and don't worry about the little things in life.

I, like others, am encouraged that travel will begin to reopen coming in 2022. I was happy to have my wife successfully immigrate to the USA this past December. So I am fortunate to be with my partner. This was after a stressful year and a half process of  getting the Immigration to US visa.  So, I am lucky to have “gotten” her here. I feel sorry for others in this forum that have been separated from their fiances', wives and family members due to the travel restrictions both ways.

We need to think positive and share info on reopening as we get it.

I do not have any specific reopening info other than an article I read a couple weeks ago in the Hanoi Times. The 4 phase reopening discussed in the article was similar to a link by someone in the above posts.

I took a big chance and booked a flight to VN in late April, 2022 as info I had put this as Phase 3 / require proof of Vax / no quaratine required.  Yes, risky. Air Canada from USA to YYZ to HKG to HAN. Trip is to visit her family.

Oh, Canada is requiring a PCR test 72 hrs before trip to transit thru Canada.

Regarding the visa to get into VN, I have a VEC good for 3 years and my wife still has a valid Vietnamese passport, although she is a resident US alien on the pathway to be a citizen. Has green card.

Just sharing the above as some may see something I missed or have some advice. Thanks!

schleger wrote:

I, like others, am encouraged that travel will begin to reopen coming in 2022. I was happy to have my wife successfully immigrate to the USA this past December. So I am fortunate to be with my partner. This was after a stressful year and a half process of  getting the Immigration to US visa.  So, I am lucky to have “gotten” her here. I feel sorry for others in this forum that have been separated from their fiances', wives and family members due to the travel restrictions both ways.

We need to think positive and share info on reopening as we get it.

I do not have any specific reopening info other than an article I read a couple weeks ago in the Hanoi Times. The 4 phase reopening discussed in the article was similar to a link by someone in the above posts.

I took a big chance and booked a flight to VN in late April, 2022 as info I had put this as Phase 3 / require proof of Vax / no quaratine required.  Yes, risky. Air Canada from USA to YYZ to HKG to HAN. Trip is to visit her family.

Oh, Canada is requiring a PCR test 72 hrs before trip to transit thru Canada.

Regarding the visa to get into VN, I have a VEC good for 3 years and my wife still has a valid Vietnamese passport, although she is a resident US alien on the pathway to be a citizen. Has green card.

Just sharing the above as some may see something I missed or have some advice. Thanks!

Good luck with your booking in April. I also hope for open travel at that time or sooner. I have a voucher to fly with Qatar Airways. I have made and cancelled flights with them 3 times without any change fees and actually received a 10% bonus on the value for accepting a voucher.

Not encouraged, maybe July before we really get freedom of travel back

If I left Vietnam this is what I would need to do to get back in:

1) Proof of double vaccination
2) RT-PCR test certificate within 48 hours of departure
3) Confirmed 8 day quarantine hotel booking
4) Confirmed booking of transportation from airport to hotel
5) Letter from Immigration dept
6) Approval Letter from the Peoples Committee
7) Proof of health insurance
8) Health declaration registration on the Vietnamese health dept. website and copy of  the QR code.

There is a list of government approved quarantine hotels to choose from.

The hotel downtown will cost USD $80 a night & includes 3 meals.

I would also have to have PCR tests on day 1 and day 7 which I would have to pay for.

Does International travel outside Vietnam sound like something worth doing?

Luigi101250 wrote:

If I left Vietnam this is what I would need to do to get back in:

1) Proof of double vaccination
2) RT-PCR test certificate within 48 hours of departure
3) Confirmed 8 day quarantine hotel booking
4) Confirmed booking of transportation from airport to hotel
5) Letter from Immigration dept
6) Approval Letter from the Peoples Committee
7) Proof of health insurance
8) Health declaration registration on the Vietnamese health dept. website and copy of  the QR code.

There is a list of government approved quarantine hotels to choose from.

The hotel downtown will cost USD $80 a night & includes 3 meals.

I would also have to have PCR tests on day 1 and day 7 which I would have to pay for.

Does International travel outside Vietnam sound like something worth doing?

Very good question is it worth? it seems everybody wants to earn money from the pandemic. $80 a night. How is it if it is a couple do you have to pay $160.  i have traveled to most expensive cities un the world. However i have never in my life spent $80 a night. How much does the PCR test cost in Vietnam?

Thank you for this infirmation.👍

Darn, If google wants to be friends it'll have to stop the bad behavior !!! besides , I thought we were all friends ! and friends should share and care. At least on the forum.

MarkinNam wrote:

Darn, If google wants to be friends it'll have to stop the bad behavior !!! besides , I thought we were all friends ! and friends should share and care. At least on the forum.

i do not understand that people still uses google and friendly to google. i stopped using google ages ago. i use duckduckgo as my browser. it does everything like google. I do not know what data they collect from me and every browser does it. in my opinion google wants to know everything and collect your data for what purposes they do this? only google knows it.😂😂 I agree with you about friends and share and care. I should also like to see more respect to each other on the forum too. Some members think they know more than google does😂😂 i read every comment made here and it is for me to decide what is useful and what is just a rumour.

batstonec wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

i do not understand that people still uses google and friendly to google. i stopped using google ages ago. i use duckduckgo as my browser. it does everything like google. I do not know what data they collect from me and every browser does it. in my opinion google wants to know everything and collect your data for what purposes they do this? only google knows it.😂😂 I take the infagree with you about friends and share and care. I should also like to see more respect to each other on the forum too. Some members think they know more than google does😂😂 i read every comment made here and it is for me to decide what is useful and what is just a rumour.

If you see members showing disrespect please use the "report" function.
Information given is from members wishing to offer free help, if in depth knowledge is needed members should seek professional advice.

Andybris2020 wrote:
batstonec wrote:
MarkinNam wrote:

i do not understand that people still uses google and friendly to google. i stopped using google ages ago. i use duckduckgo as my browser. it does everything like google. I do not know what data they collect from me and every browser does it. in my opinion google wants to know everything and collect your data for what purposes they do this? only google knows it.😂😂 I take the infagree with you about friends and share and care. I should also like to see more respect to each other on the forum too. Some members think they know more than google does😂😂 i read every comment made here and it is for me to decide what is useful and what is just a rumour.

Information given is from members wishing to offer free help, if in depth knowledge is needed members should seek professional advice.

Andy, I completely agree with you. Yes, if I find somebody is disrespectful to me, I will definitely report it. It is that some comments on the forum is no help at all.

batstonec wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
batstonec wrote:

Andy, I completely agree with you. Yes, if I find somebody is disrespectful to me, I will definitely report it. It is that some comments on the forum is no help at all.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for, and members are giving free advice so your on a winner whatever they say  :top:

@OceanBeach92107

I'm in the similar situation with you and Mike and others... so we should participate to build that boat bigger!
I said similar... because isn't about my finance, there I have a marriage, and even married I can't return without passing the restrictive rules!
Let's hope the government will change this soon!
😊

From a post Andy made in This thread

Andybris2020 wrote:

At last it COULD be happening. Proposal to reopen regular international flights from December 15 The Ministry of Transport has proposed to the Government to restore regular international flights on 9 routes from December 15. The plan of the Ministry of Transport, launched on December 7, is divided into two pilot phases. Phase 1, allowing regular flights between Vietnam and markets with a high safety factor, including: Beijing (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (Korea), Taipei (China) Taiwan), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vienchan (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), San Francisco or Los Angeles (USA). The international airports of Vietnam that are allowed to receive these routes are Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat. Phase 2 from January 1, 2022, the Ministry of Transport proposed the Prime Minister to expand regular flights between Vietnam to 15 markets including: Beijing (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (Korea) China), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vienchan (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), San Francisco or Los Angeles (USA), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Hong Kong, Paris (France), Frankfurt (Germany), Sydney (Australia), Moscow (Russia) and Taipei. Vietnam's international airports to receive flights in phase 2 are Noi Bai (Hanoi), Tan Son Nhat (HCMC), Da Nang, Cam Ranh (Khanh Hoa), Phu Quoc (Kien Giang). , Van Don (Quang Ninh). Link to story

More of the story.....

People entering the country who receive the full dose of the vaccine will not have to be isolated in quarantine
The person on entry has had two vaccines, tested negative, and only self-isolates and monitors their health at home for a certain period of time, ensuring disease safety.

Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam mentioned the above directive at a meeting with the Ministry of Health and units on reviewing the prevention of Covid-19 related to overseas Vietnamese and foreigners entering Vietnam, in the afternoon. 8/12.

Link to story

News:

"Vietnam restores international routes from January 2022.

"The Government has agreed to a plan to restore regular international flights carrying passengers to areas with a high safety factor, starting from January 1, 2022.

"The Government Office announced the above directive of Deputy Prime Minister Pham Binh Minh, on the evening of December 10.

"Accordingly, Vietnam is implementing a safe adaptation strategy.

"The reopening of international flights as planned by the Ministry of Transport 'is necessary but still must ensure effective control of the epidemic'.

"This policy aims to restore international passenger transport activities, overcome difficulties for aviation enterprises; promote the process of economic recovery, tourism; not let Vietnam lag behind other countries in the region; create conditions for Vietnamese citizens to return to their homeland in the context of the coming Lunar New Year..."

(Story continues at the following link; use Chrome or Google to translate)

vnexpress.net/viet-nam-khoi-phuc-duong-bay-quoc-te-tu-thang-1-2022-4401533

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

News:

"The Government has agreed to a plan to restore regular international flights carrying passengers to areas with a high safety factor, starting from January 1, 2022.

"The Government Office announced the above directive of Deputy Prime Minister Pham Binh Minh, on the evening of December 10.

"The reopening of international flights as planned by the Ministry of Transport 'is necessary but still must ensure effective control of the epidemic'.

"This policy aims to restore international passenger transport activities, overcome difficulties for aviation enterprises; promote the process of economic recovery, tourism; not let Vietnam lag behind other countries in the region; create conditions for Vietnamese citizens to return to their homeland in the context of the coming Lunar New Year..."

Or, use the English version of the site.

English version

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

News:

English version

Thanks for the link to the site.

This is the link to the corresponding article in English:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/vie … 01559.html

Unfortunately a lot of the time I go looking for the corresponding article in English and it's simply not posted on that site and others.

It's good to see their English translation, because it's a bit confusing in the Google translation, regarding "safe" areas.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

News:

English version

Thanks for the link to the site.

This is the link to the corresponding article in English:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/vie … 01559.html

Unfortunately a lot of the time I go looking for the corresponding article in English and it's simply not posted on that site and others.

It's good to see their English translation, because it's a bit confusing in the Google translation, regarding "safe" areas.

A lot of the wording is still abstract. I have been told by 2 different visa/tour companies that they also aren't sure. Both are saying wait till after the 15th. I also talked with VN Embassy and they aren't sure. So my visa application is in limbo.

Source:  Vietnam-visa.com

Stage 1: 2 weeks, starting December 15
Air routes: between Vietnam and Beijing (China), Tokyo (Japan), Seoul (the Republic of Korea), Taipei (Taiwan), Bangkok (Thailand), Singapore, Vientiane (Laos), Phnom Penh (Cambodia), San Francisco, or Los Angeles (the United States).
Departure/Arrival Airports in Vietnam: Noi Bai and Tan Son Nhat
Flight frequency: 4 flights/week/route/way

Stage 2: Starting January 2022
06 more air routes: Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), Hong Kong, Paris (France), Frankfurt (Germany), Sydney (Australia), and Moscow (Russia).
Departure/Arrival Airports in Vietnam: Noi Bai, Tan Son Nhat, Da Nang, Cam Ranh, Phu Quoc, and Van Don
Flight frequency: 7 flights/week/route/way
This plan was accepted by the Ministries of Vietnam at their meeting on Dec. 9.

In addition, at another meeting on Dec. 8, the Deputy Prime Minister of Vietnam suggested:
Fully vaccinated travelers can isolate themselves at home or accommodation of their choice for a specific period.
Only those who are not vaccinated need to be kept in centralized facilities and be isolated there.
He then requested the Ministry of Health of Vietnam to issue new guidelines on quarantine to reflect this change no later than Dec. 15.

So everything becomes SO GREAT now: regular flights, no quarantine for fully vaccinated travelers.

Following on from the above news, just to remind everyone this was a PLAN talked about and then a directive given mentioning Jan 1st.

Remembering that it's the weekend now most of this will get put into writing and filtered down in the coming week when Officials, Travel agents etc will start to process it then we will all start to get hard info of what is happening with visas, tickets, flights, etc, until then soak in the good news and wait for everyone to process the info.

I highly doubt if any local agents have visa info on a Saturday morning hours after hearing whats been announced.

pogiwayne wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

A lot of the wording is still abstract. I have been told by 2 different visa/tour companies that they also aren't sure. Both are saying wait till after the 15th. I also talked with VN Embassy and they aren't sure. So my visa application is in limbo.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

Hopefully it won't be too much longer for your visa application to be approved.

Same here concerning the visa application. But it's a start, looking forward to visiting friends. This is my first trip to Vietnam I am very much looking forward to it.

So, the most recent discussion on this thread center around getting visas for the newly announced reopening of travel to Vietnam. This announcement came on the eve of a weekend and most people involved with issuing visas are closed or are still processing the announcement. I have a silly question perhap one of you can answer:
I have a valid VEC ( Visa Exemption Certificate). Here's the silly question, am I good to travel from USA to Vietnam in April on this? Or, do I need to get one of those tourist or business visas I used a few years ago?
Second, my wife who lives with me in the USA will be traveling to VN with me. She has a Vietnamese valid passport, USA Green Card. Are these documents all she needs to enter Vietnam? Aside from the CoVid vaccine passport. Or, does she need a visa?
I just want to make sure.
Happy to be seeing a return to near-normal!

If your VEC is valid youre good to go.

Yes as long as the VEC is still valid you will not have a problem. I get my VEC validated here in Vietnam. I guess your wife will just use her Vietnamese passport

schleger wrote:

So, the most recent discussion on this thread center around getting visas for the newly announced reopening of travel to Vietnam. This announcement came on the eve of a weekend and most people involved with issuing visas are closed or are still processing the announcement. I have a silly question perhap one of you can answer:
I have a valid VEC ( Visa Exemption Certificate). Here's the silly question, am I good to travel from USA to Vietnam in April on this? Or, do I need to get one of those tourist or business visas I used a few years ago?
Second, my wife who lives with me in the USA will be traveling to VN with me. She has a Vietnamese valid passport, USA Green Card. Are these documents all she needs to enter Vietnam? Aside from the CoVid vaccine passport. Or, does she need a visa?
I just want to make sure.
Happy to be seeing a return to near-normal!

The only requirement I can infer when reading what's come out so far will be the need for "self-isolation" on arrival.

It remains to be seen what that means and if you can do that at a hotel or if you need to be at a private residence somewhere.

It's been my guess that the big driver here (urgency) has been the desire to get overseas Vietnamese back in Vietnam in time for Tết.

So it remains to be seen if there will be different requirements for those staying at the private residence of family sponsors, vs. people staying at commercial establishments.

All speculation on my part.

Closed