New members of the Scotland forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Scotland forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Scotland if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi All,
Just moved to Edinburgh.
Looking to connect with other South Africans and build a network.
I am here on a skilled workers visa as a technology consultant.

Hope to hear from fellow South Africans.

Hi everyone.

I'm Ken, a Kenyan, very new in Glasgow, Scotland. Looking forward to meeting and interacting with fellow Kenyans, but also making friends from other nations. It would be really nice if we could get to know each other, talk on various topics as you get to show me the way around here.

Wanna chat? Hit me up!

Tkx you só much. Am still living in Angola 🇦🇴, its my wish living there. Am 32, single, Dentstry.
Whats is the Way me i can do!?

Good afternoon, I need a job urgently. I can work as a kichen porter. Hotel cleaning. The important thing is to work. I have a family and I need to maintain my home. and I am responsible and respectful thank you I hope you help me get a job

Hi @Carmelotortola

I don't know exactly where you are located, but have you tried this fb group?

facebook.com/groups/462797520455432

Good luck!

Hi everyone.

Hi there! I'm Jean, been living in Edinburgh for a few years now and working in tourism.

Hi I'm a South African teacher looking for information on Scottish schools, education system and general economic viability. I have a family and need to make an educated decision regarding this move.

I would appreciate any information about Scotland and what it's like to live there.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To begin with:

The top left-hand corner of this webpage is a link to our Discover section, within which you'll find our Scotland Guide.

The Numbeo website offers information related to costs all over the world; this link will take you straight to it.

Education is now a devolved matter and the responsibility of the Scottish Government; if you believe all you read in the Press, then it seems to be a bit of a lottery at the moment, but if your heart is in Scotland, then I'd suggest you use social media and look for groups around where you intend to live - ask them.  Also, as a teacher, join LinkedIn and reach out to your peers and get their opinion.

As for the country itself; strictly my opinion is it's a beautiful place; most people tend to live in what they describe as "the central belt" which is if you draw a line from Glasgow in the west and Edinburgh in the east, extend it to the coasts, then another line 50 km north and south - that's the belt.  It's certainly where most of the infrastructure is.  There are of course towns, people and schools etc outside of those areas, but civilisation is in the belt.

Read the guide and make sure you visit the place before you decide.  This link may give you a steer towards teaching in the UK (England) and Scotland (link).

If you have any more specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Greetings!

I am new from Nigerian.looking forward  to live  and work in Scotland as skill worker. am single my intention is to actually,settle down with a Scottish  man.kindly help me with a link.

Thank you

nworgujoy wrote:

Greetings!

I am new from Nigerian.looking forward  to live  and work in Scotland as skill worker. am single my intention is to actually,settle down with a Scottish  man.kindly help me with a link.

Thank you

The first thing I should make clear is that Expat.com is not a dating/relationship forum; we're here to help people plan their journey, so it's in that respect that I'm replying and why I have not removed your post.

To get a visa to come and work/live anywhere in the UK, you need some kind of work permit.  These permits are all listed on the UK Government website and this link will take you straight there.  There are many different ones, please read through it and if you think you qualify, then start looking for work.  To find work, join something like LinkedIn or Facebook and reach out to your peers; we're not an employment website.

One last word of caution, if anybody reaches out to you offering you a relationship or even a job based on what you've posted earlier, then they are scammers and after your money, ignore them.

If you have any further specific questions related to Expat matters, then please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello Scotland Forum -  My name is Mike and I am a professor from the Washington, DC USA metro area, planning to spend a sabbatical year in Edinburgh, July 2022-July 2023.  I will be looking for advice and suggestions for where to find information on: neighborhoods and finding a place to live convenient to the University of Edinburgh; how to put my daughter into school for the year (have found Education Scotland and direction from James Gillespie's); linking up with a casual cycling club; where to find good coffee and other things to drink and eat. 
Hello Scotland Forum -  My name is Mike and I am a professor from the Washington, DC USA metro area, planning to spend a sabbatical year in Edinburgh, July 2022-July 2023.  I will be looking for advice and suggestions for where to find information on: neighborhoods and finding a place to live convenient to the University of Edinburgh; how to put my daughter into school for the year (have found Education Scotland and direction from James Gillespie's); linking up with a casual cycling club; where to find good coffee and other things to drink and eat. 
- @mnevans

Long Range accommodation searching is always difficult; my advice would be to start off in something like Airbnb, then use that time to look around the local area for somewhere more long-term; we do have our own Housing section on the Forum (top of the page), it's always worthwhile checking that out nearer the time.

On the whole, Edinburgh is a really nice place, I suppose there must be some bad spots, but I've never found one.  One internet website to check out is the Numbeo Website; this link will take you straight there; people mainly use it for a cost of living comparisons, but at the top of the page they have links to other areas of their website that covers over things, such as Cost of Living, Property Prices and Quality of Life, which may give you a bit more information about Edinburgh (and other places in Scotland).

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
Hello everyone,

I am planning on moving to Scotland from New Zealand next year (2023) and have joined this website to find general advice and helpful hints for my move. I will be looking at teaching in secondary schools.

I thought this would be helpful with my solo mission to the other side of the world!
Hello BethKennedy,

Welcome to Expat.com1f603.svg

Should you have any specific question that you would like to ask, feel free to create a new thread on the Scotland forum.

In the meantime, have you checked the Living in Scotland guide? 1f914.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team
Hello,
My name is Ogie, I am a Mechanical Engineer.
Hello everybody... I kept getting rejections for the names I was putting in... and after going through so many I laughed and tried Kilt... thinking 101 people had tried that before me.  Haha... not so... So Kilt it is for now.

I was planning to immigrate to Scotland around the time the pandemic hit... so that put an end to that!!!  The feeling is kindling again.. so I am making as many connections for information that I can. 

It will be 2023 before I actually leave...I am keeping an eye on the economy there ... I live in the USA, and it is possibly much the same..

I am Australien/American, but am hoping to get an Ancestry visa.

Cheers to you all... I will keep an eye on this website...
Hi all,

My name is Nikki and I am looking for information on relocating back to Scotland. I am from Scotland but ive been living in the USA for 20 years. All my family are still there and we want to be closer to my family again. Myself and my young kids have British citizenship so it's my husband who is US whom I need to get a spousal visa for. Are there any brits that have moved back with their partner from another country? How was the process? Ive been doing a bunch of research but is always good to hear from people who have done it or in the process of doing it. Our timeline is within the next 2 years.
Thanks again.
Nikki

Hello my name is toni .I live 4 years In London and 3of December I coming in scotland...can you tell me how is eweryting about rent and job ????I have presetle status and all papers.thanks eweryone

Hi there, I am Keshan Rungasami from South Africa Durban. I recently moved to Scotland Edinburgh. I am currently working at a premium car dealership as a technician. I am glad and happy to find out that there's some mate's from SA. It's good to be e-connected.

Enjoying the beautiful place thus far.

@anishadeolall hi there Anisha. Glad to e-meet you. I am from Durban South Africa on skilled workers visa in Edinburgh.

@Julien

Hello! My name is Lina! I currently live in the US and looking for an opportunity to move to Scotland!

I have experience with working for the government in our local county and trying to find anyway to get out of the US, hopefully by finding a job.

I have experience in customer service, administration, contract writing and I have a Bachelors in Communication, Journalism and a Masters in Leadership Management with an emphasis in Human Resources!

Please contact me at l*** if you know of any opportunities!

I am looking to move by September 2023!

Thank you,

Lina

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello Lina,

Welcome on board !

I would suggest that you create an advert and CV in the jobs in Scotland section of the website and find out more about job hunts by ready the articles under the Work in Scotland section of the Expat guide.

Should you need further info or interaction with members, feel free to open a new thread on the Scotland forum.

All the best,

Bhavna

@Julien
Hello! My name is Lina! I currently live in the US and looking for an opportunity to move to Scotland!

I have experience with working for the government in our local county and trying to find anyway to get out of the US, hopefully by finding a job.

I have experience in customer service, administration, contract writing and I have a Bachelors in Communication, Journalism and a Masters in Leadership Management with an emphasis in Human Resources!

Please contact me at l*** if you know of any opportunities!

I am looking to move by September 2023!

Thank you,
Lina
-@Lina Bhambhani

You will need a skilled worker visa; the details are all on the UK Gov website; this link will take you straight to it.    You could also try joining LinkedIn and reach out to your peers to see what work may be available and its whereabouts.  You could also try speaking to the various agencies that are looking for high-quality, well-qualified and experienced staff, a quick search on Google will help you find them.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1013140

Thanks!

Closed