Hope to move around August of 2022

Hi everyone, my name is Dennis.  I hope to finally become fluent in Spanish.  Learning some Guarani will be a bonus. :)  I certainly will have an eye out for any business opportunities but don't find that to be compelling or something I would do for the first couple of years as I have retirement to lean on. 

My initial focus will be finding where the most language schools that teach both Spanish and Guarani are located.  Broadband is also a priority for me since I want to maintain connection with family in the USA. 

Obviously, permanent residency is part of that but those aspects are well laid out.

Where are good neighborhoods/cities for my needs?  Thoughts? Suggestions?

Welcome, Dennis. I don't have a good language school to recommend. I like the Duolingo app for learning languages. As far as Guarani, on that app it is taught from "Castellano" aka Spanish. But since I'm already fluent in Spanish it's do - able.  We live in the San Roque neighborhood close to downtown and it is affordable as well as safe.

Thanks.

Hi Dennis,

I wanted to share my experience with using an app for language learning. I have been using app “Memrise”. It has been helpful for my beginning efforts in Portuguese language. It let's you learn the pronunciation along with spelling, also teaches understanding the conversation you hear.

As Tsamekul mentioned, I have heard good feedback on Duolingo app, but have not used it myself.

Wish you all the best.

Thanks for the info

I have started using Memorize for Guarani with some success.  Putting individual words in a conversation is difficult so hoping to get help via Italki in that.  Might try Duolingo as well.  Thanks for the feedback all.

hi Dennis. One way to learn Spanish or Guarani is to check out the Fiverr app or web site. I do not want to turn this message into some kind of advertising. Just to say that I found it useful for job hunting / resume updating, since that is once service that is on that site. Another Guarani learning link: https://www.ateneoogatee.com.py/

Broadband is very affordable in Asuncion. Hope to see you here soon!

Noting the thread title, it's obvious August

has come and gone .. but, hey, the topic of

moving to South America, even in September

or later .. is evergreen.

I note that the international-man YouTuber

Caleb Jones (one of his channels is called

Sovereign CEO) has moved his worldwide

backup location to Asunción, of all places.

His primary location is Dubai, U.A.E.  He has

given up his U.S. citizenship.

Caleb figures that in case of wars and

other problematic events, Paraguay is

as safe and removed-from-direct-trouble

as you can find in 2022.

He figures the government of Paraguay

is not going to be bothering any Expats

unprovoked .. and says the Paraguayan

women are "cute" though not gorgeous.

cccmedia

Top five reasons why Asunción is not

aspopular an Expat relocation site

as Cuenca, Medellín or Panama City.

-- Asunción is rarely touted as a

top location to consider moving to

by International L----- or

Live and I----- Overseas.

-- Paraguay is one of the few

South American countries with

no oceanic beaches.

-- Caleb Jones has not achieved the

fame or even the notoriety of

the more iconic South American

bloggers/YouTubers/advocates.

You don't hear Doug Casey saying

much if anything about Paraguay,

although he has lots to say about

Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil.

-- Paraguay's capital and much of

the country are just too darned hot,

climate-wise, for the majority of

Expats.

And the number-one reason why

Asunción is not on Expats' radar...

-- It takes forever (figure 20-plus

hours or more, or an overnight

layover, as a rule) to get to

Paraguay's capital from anywhere

North, East or West of the

travel hubs of Bogotá, Colombia,

and Panama City.

cccmedia in Quito, Ecuador

Jaja. I have watched some of Caleb's Paraguay videos. He does make a good point that it might a good place to have residency in the event of a nuclear war. Also, I recall that he mentions that Paraguay is politically stable. One thing I remember the Nomad Capitalist said, referring to a NY times article, is that like 5% of the approx 7 million population owns the land for farming. Also, I recall a comparison to Argentina's farming industry, in that the farming is largely mechanized. One could infer that there may be fewer angry campesinos in the countryside looking to lay siege to Asuncion.

P.s. never heard of Doug casey