Water Quality

The tap water here in Asuncion isn't good at all (because it is contaminated and has bacteria) and so I've been drinking and cooking with bottled water but lately I've been feeling really lousey and tired and so bought a test kit to test the water. So far I've tested two brands and found out I've been drinking the worse one. Dasani is advertised as being mineralized water and yet it had no healthy minerals, only bad ones (copper, cadmium, or cobalt, not sure because the test wasn't very specific). It had a really acidic PH which also proves it to be devoid of minerals. It also had bacteria. Seltz was better in that it had some healthy minerals (and the PH to prove it) and no bacteria. But it also had one or more of those 3 unwanted minerals. (Actually copper isn't bad in low dosages but I don't know it's dosage here if in fact it is here.) Also it has flouride added to it. So to avoid any more toxins I am buying a $164 water distiller that is made to use the local 220 volts AC. The distilled water eliminates 99% of all contaminants and actually aids your body in eliminating what toxins it has accumulated up to now.
I just tested two other brands of bottled water. De La Costa tested to have bacteria. It is untreated water from Paraguay aquafer. Aquafina is tap water purified thru a 7 step process. It did not have any bacteria.
Tap water in Asuncion usually has too little chlorine in it to kill all the bacteria but sometimes they put too much in which is really bad for the skin when you shower, and also bad for plants.

Although I only spend three months a year at my place in Asuncion and do buy Seltz water , I've always understood it to be an unnecessary luxury.
All my paraguayan friends use Asuncion mains water and a good pal who is living there full time uses it all the time for tea and coffee.
Re showering, I always thought the water to be very soft and great on skin and hair.
We never have to descale kettles or steam irons and I use basic powder in the dishwasher and washing machine with good results.
AlanUK

Peoples opinion about water means absolutely nothing when compared to scientific tests. If I gave you three different glasses of water you wouldn't be able to tell me which one had flouride in it, or which one had cadmium, or which one had bacteria. I was recently drinking De La Costa bottled water and got a bad cavity although I wasn't eating lots of sweets and I was brushing/flossing. So then I thought it might from bacteria in the water. Sure enough, I was right. These latinos lose teeth like crazy. Look into the mouth of someone over 30 and you'll see what I mean. I think it's because of the bacteria in the water.

Again, thinking of my housekeeper and her family. I'm not aware of them losing their teeth.
I agree there are a significant number that do but they seem to live outside the city and  in general enjoy sugary drinks etc without being able to afford toothpaste , brushes and dental hygiene.
The state subsidised dentists only remove teeth for whatever reason .
I agree, chemical analysis is different to water taste but equally I haven't seen or heard of anyone becoming ill due to water use.
Seltz deliver three times a week to my neighbourhood and the delivery chaps are very helpful in carrying in and positioning the heavy garrafas.
I work in a health related field and wonder that maybe a health check maybe in order. The sort that my 'latino' friends with their pearly white smiles  do tend to comply with.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Alan UK

Do they sell Seltz water in boxes (12-24 bottles etc)? Do you know the costs? I appreciate your feedback.

Good day.
I realized this is an old post about water. I just came across it searching the internet. Do people buy bottled drinking water and also for cooking at home in Paraguay?

A

Has anyone found Evian in Paraguay?

Hello seaseaseaseasea55555,

Not sure you will be getting any reply here as the thread is quite old and has been inactive since 2018.

You can start a new thread on the Paraguay forum to ask your question about the availability of Evian water in the country. 1f601.svg

All the best,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Thanks Cheryl. I may get a reply in a few years! 🤣 It's ok, no rush!