How to live and work safely in Paraguay ?

Hello,

Many of the expatriates who live and work in Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, Chile,..., live in a gated community.

Most expatriates who live in Paraguay, in the countryside (not in the capital of Paraguay), do not live in a gated community (like the Mennonites).

Is the information that it is impossible to find a trustworthy, well-paid guard in Paraguay true ?

If this information is true, how do expatriates who live in Paraguay, in the countryside, live and/or work safely ?

Hypothesis :

- Either they are retirees.

- Or they are annuitants.

- Or they are people who work on the internet.

- Or they are people whose company is not in Paraguay or / and who live between 4 and 6 months per year in Paraguay.

- Or they are people who

a) do not live far from the capital;

b) can afford to pay a security company.

- Or they are people who accept to pay an informal monthly tax of about 20 % of their monthly turnover.

I ask this question because there are many influential people who have written or said on the internet that they have given up living and working in Latin America in order to be able to live and work in security.

Source : The testimony of a European expatriate in Paraguay for more than 20 years, who is an entrepreneur and responsible for the moderation of the French-speaking forum related to Paraguay on this website: JC Paracom. I also consulted a dozen other independent sources.

Thank you.

Best regards, Etienne

Living in Asunción until I get residency and a retiree from the US.  Paraguay is as safe as the US statistically and, like the US you just learn where to not go.  Because there is already a large historic immigrant population from all over, "foreigners" are not usually targeted except in a few areas near the border.  That's more a matter of the presence of a border than anything specific about being in sudamerica.

Gated communities don't seem to be a "thing" here because there doesn't seem to be a demand.  Most of the nicer homes have a fence with gates for people and cars and beyond that there just doesn't seem to be much of a preceved need.  You do see private security at banks, shopping areas, and such in Asunciön which would help reduce the petty crime.  I can't speak for what in common in more rural areas.  I have lived in rural areas is the US frequently and the crime there is more of petty thievery from unattended property and often driven by drug usage.  I'll let other's comment on their experience here in Paraguay but I don't see "crime" as an issue with rural life as an issue.  Goods and services are a bigger factor for me.

Hope you get the information you need.

I have lived out in the Paraguayan countryside for many years and feel perfectly safe here. Becoming part of the community and treating locals like equals does far more for the peace of mind and quality of living than fences and big dogs ever could.

That said, as with anywhere in the world there are places it would not be wise to be. It is not difficult to avoid them and instead live in one of the very acceptable parts of the country.

With reference to the point about not being too far from Asuncion. I am a couple of hours away and would not want to be much further as sometimes I do need to go to Asuncion as there are some things that can only be done or bought there.

And finally nice as the countryside is employment is lacking. So to live comfortably here it would be wise to either have enough funds to not have to worry about working or have a job, such as an online one, that is not location dependant.

3 My native German colony of Hohenau. Very many Europeans, especially Germans. Security is top notch. Quiet quiet life in and out of town. We don't have bars on the windows like in many places and we often sleep with the doors open or outside in the fresh air, looking at the stars.

Ok, good luck, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Regards Helena.

Good afternoon. With the beginning of Copid-19, many Paraguayans lost their jobs and the crime situation in the country became worse. Having analyzed this situation, I can give advice:

1. In a big city crime is higher than in small towns.

2. If you settle in a small town, but which is populated exclusively by Paraguayans, you will be a "black sheep".

As a conclusion, I recommend small colony towns. For example, the Japanese colony of Pirapo. There is practically no crime there, there are many wealthy Japanese and you won't stand out.

2 San Bernardino is a very large rich settlement, where wealthy Europeans feel good.

3 My native German colony of Hohenau. Very many Europeans, especially Germans. Security is top notch. Quiet quiet life in and out of town. We don't have bars on the windows like in many places and we often sleep with the doors open or outside in the fresh air, looking at the stars.

Ok, good luck, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Regards, Helena.

We live in Caaguazu, Paraguay and have been in Paraguay since September 2018. We lived in various parts of the country, from as far north as the Chaco to the south right on the banks of the Parana river, in Coratei. I also lived here in Caaguazu during 1994/5. Maybe it is because we are from one of the most dangerous countries in the world, South Africa, but we feel 100% safe in Paraguay. We don't lock our back door as our dogs need to be able to enter and leave the house as they please. We also don't lock our car. Not at home and also not in town. In fact we do not even have keys for the doors. Maybe it is because we're part of the community and have many Paraguayan friends. We have never felt discriminated against, and enjoy very cordial interaction with all Paraguayans.