D7 Visa Process, Initial Steps and Overall Experience from Canada

Hi All
I am a newbie and creating this thread for those who have applied from Canada. I am in Toronto and planning to apply soon. Let's connect here, share information so that applicants from Canada can benefit and have smooth sailing from getting NIF to open a bank account to get the permit in Portugal.
May the force be with us : )

Hi there, found this post and want to contribute my experience/learn from other Canadians in process or have been successful being approved for D7 :)

I'm planning to travel in Oct, so thinking I need my ducks in a row by end of June and submit the application to the consulate in Toronto in July. 3 months processing time enough? lol

Currently have my NIF, which I got from [link moderated]. Satisfactory experience but did take more than 7 days in case anyone asks about timing. Looking at opening Portuguese bank account with Millennium BCP through existing partnership with BMO branch located by me (they are yet to confirm this is possible). If they can do this, I will also inquire if I can purchase health/travel insurance through them. Otherwise I have no idea which coverage or  provider to choose! 

Can anyone provide some guidance on insurance for the application? I've been quoted by Cigna and Allianz for myself, spouse and child (we are in our 30s and 40s, son is a preschooler, all healthy! ) of about 450-550 euro per month. This seems excessive. Maybe I am wrong? Who did you go with and what coverage  did you have to purchase? 

Also unsure if we have to make an appointment in Toronto to submit the application. 

Any Canadians have success with their D7 application can shed some light and/or share your experience? Would love to hear from fellow Canucks! :)

@Thesixfam , Hi. I have the same Visa. D7. I will get insurance on Millenium . Not yet had contracted but last quote was not bad.

@lindaeva ballpark cost?

We are just beginning the process - just applied today for my NIF via an online processor. Still trying to understand the process for a D7. My idea is to take a trip to Portugal for a brief holiday in order to find a rental accom and to open a bank account in person rather than struggling remotely. BUT (1) how does it make sense to commit to a one year lease when you might not be permitted to stay that long if the Visa is refused, and (2) we plan to summer in Canada - so i wonder about the possibility of sub-leasing over the summer.