Planning to remote work from Malta for EU citizen

Hello everyone,

I am planning to move to Malta for a 2-3 month period of remote work. I am fully employed and I can do all my work on my laptop. I'm also an EU citizen so I have no worries about visa problem.

My understanding is that if I were to stay more than 90 days I would get the nomad resident permit where it's clear no taxes on foreign income.

What if I stay less than 90 days? Would the same apply or would I need to file and pay taxes?

Thanks in advanced for your help,
Roge

You remain tax resident in your country where you are resident now when not becoming specifically tax resident somewhere else.

It's also not that cut and dry about remote income, if you are EMPLOYED by a foreign business you will pay income tax as normal. Except then they would also have to register as an employer in Malta. Many countries tax departments would insist you pay your taxes there if employed full time by a foreign business (UK tends to do this for example). The nomad visa program specifically states that you must show documentation that you are remote employed AND paying your taxes there.

The nomad visa is not a path to tax free income I am afraid.

And besides all that. It's not open to EU citizens. As a EU citizen you can stay 3 months without any hassles. After that you must register the fact that you are using your treaty rights and so forth. If you are remotely employed on a full time basis you will pay full taxes on income from that employment.

Thanks Volcane for your input. Just to be clear I am paying taxes on my home country and planned to keep doing it. The question was related to my duties while staying in Malta and if 2-3 month period will open me up to local liabilities.

So if I understand you correctly as long as I stay less than 3 months and I pay my taxes at home I do not need to file nor pay any new taxes to Malta. If I stay more than 3 months then I need to file as a Malta resident and then start paying local taxes.

Much appreciated!

Pretty much yes.

For up to 3 months (and tbh no1 gives a damn how long people stay here really) you are essentially a tourist and just working remotely. Pay all your taxes there and you are fine.

Be aware though you have no access to things like free medical and covid relief etc if you do this. Many have been caught out after showing up at hospital expecting free treatment. You can get some EU health card thing to help but I don't know anout that.

Thanks for your suggestions. I got extra travel health insurance just in case I need it

Most of those are valid for 28 days per trip only. Double check the terms.

I got SafetyWing which is good for 365 days