Leaving Malta, I'm Portuguese, what do I need to do?

Hello everyone, I have a question, what do I need to do before I leave Malta?
I am Portuguese and I have been working here for a year, should I have to fill in a form for my tax return since 1 year is not really enough for a pension?
Also residency, do I need to cancel mine?
Thank you very much in advance,
Francisco

If you have residency I suggest you hang onto it in case you come again. As for tax liability on your earnings here I guess you have filed a declaration and you should call the Tax Office to tell them you are leaving and settle any sum due.
Safe journey home to Portugal and all the best for Christmas..

Thank you for the feedback tried calling 153 but it says the number does not exist. Guess I should visit Taxpayer Service to have this sorted correct?
Also thanks for the xmas wishes, wish you a great one too :)

I am meeting a tax inspector tonight and can ask for you if you like?

That would be very kind of you, if you do not mind then could you please ask him?
Thank you :)

I certainly will and will let you know tomorrow.

Perfect, again thank you very much :)

franciscomdmiranda wrote:

Hello everyone, I have a question, what do I need to do before I leave Malta?
I am Portuguese and I have been working here for a year, should I have to fill in a form for my tax return since 1 year is not really enough for a pension?
Also residency, do I need to cancel mine?
Thank you very much in advance,
Francisco

As far as residence is concerned, you should return your eResidence card to Identity Malta. You would have to give up residency here in order to take up residency back in Portugal as you can not be legally resident in more than one EU country at any one time.

Foxglove -  you say you can't be resident in two EU countries at the same time.  Are you suggesting that you can be resident in one EU country and one non-EU country?  As in Malta and UK from 1 January?

Good morning to you. I have checked and you need to take form FS3 for last year and this year to the Customer care at the Tax Office at Block 4 in Floriana.
They are open until 6pm today and they will assist you and issue the Certificate. I hope this is helpful.

dennisp99 wrote:

Foxglove -  you say you can't be resident in two EU countries at the same time.  Are you suggesting that you can be resident in one EU country and one non-EU country?  As in Malta and UK from 1 January?

NO!
You can, of course, have dual nationality, but that is not the same as residency. ie. If you are not physically living in the UK for 183 days a year or more you may be considered non resident and lose some benefits, access to NHS for example, which is residence based.

Thank you sjan for asking and letting me know.
Also thank you foxglove for the residency part.
Kind regards