Control where Alcohol can be Sold and Drunk.

Bill seeks to ban alcohol intake on streets and license for businesses to sell them

https://noticiassin.com/pais/proyecto-d … as-1159280

The Senate of the Republic approved in first reading the bill for the control of sale, supply and consumption of alcoholic beverages, which will have to be known by the Lower House and which contains the prohibition of alcohol consumption in the public highway, in vehicles and motorcycles, as well as the imposition of new norms for the places of dispensing of beverages.

Article 52 establishes the prohibition of "Consuming alcoholic beverages obstructing public roads, sidewalks, streets, avenues or parks, disturbing the tranquility of the institutions determined by this law as sensitive."

The piece establishes that all establishments that sell alcoholic beverages must apply for a license.

The license will be granted by the General Directorate for the Control of Alcoholic Beverages (Digecoba), which will be a new specialized body dependent on the Ministry of the Interior and Police.

In the same vein, the establishments that sell these products must be located in places where they do not obstruct the public thoroughfare and away from certain establishments within 100 meters of “sensitive institutions” such as schools, hospitals, children's institutions, universities, churches, parks. , among others.

The legislative initiative also includes the consumption and transport of alcoholic beverages in vehicles and motorcycles.

In its article 48, it prohibits the transfer of alcoholic beverages to vehicle drivers within the passenger area opened.

"They must be moved in the trunk or in the back of the motor vehicle" if the drinks are open, as contained in the following paragraph.

With regard to motorcycles, it prohibits the transfer of alcoholic beverages in the hands, both open and with their factory seal.

In both cases, people may be fined with amounts of one to 10 times the minimum wage.

I wonder if this law will get passed by the Deputies? Makes sense but how would it be implemented?

it's about time!!!

There are many laws on the books. Most are ignored with impunity. 

This must now go before the deputados now who can and likely will make changes.

This is good!  Lots of chatter online by locals and expats!   I particularly love the indignation of illegal expats about their loss of freedom to do what they want.

LOL most of us abiding citizens are used to the laws in out countries so therefore we will not have any issues complying with them.
laws are good specially where needed!
Thanks Planner for always keeping this site as it should and for your efforts and friendship to all of us.
Greatly appreciated.
God bless

Potentially this is a wide ranging law that is badly needed to stop the carnage on the roads, avoid teteos and noise issues, reduce crime associated with alcohol abuse and regularize the sale of alcohol and address low wages for those working in unregulated businesses.

Hopefully it will get passed into law soon but the application of the law will be dificult universally. It will have to start in cities, large towns in tourist areas and on major highways. And DIGICOBA will have to have many more personnel.

As for expats moaning, suggest they go live in the cities and live with the street parties to the wee hours and read of the carnage on the roads due to alcohol related accidents. The freedom to live peacefully for all society is a greater need than the desired carelessness of a very few. They should ask 'do these restrictions apply in their own country?'... and the answer is yes yes and yes and enforced very strongly. So DR come on and join the rest of the world.

It is abolutely crazy that anybody can go open up a bar selling alcohol anywhere in the country. Worse still to sell alcohol alongside highways and at garages to drivers who stop to get a cold one as they drive. Crazy to see motos with passengers with polystyrene cups of rum and bottles drinking as thet ride.

I absolutely  agree Lennox.   This is for the greater good and effects much more broadly  when you stop to actually think about it!

yes and yes!
i was shocked to see drive thru places for drinks im SD when i first started going to DR
i mean , we have coffee drive thru places but drinks geeee a bit too far.

I too agree with this law, but I do understand the other sides view as well. Its one of the reasons I want to live there. Over regulation sucks. The wild west is tamed and gone forever. Im not saying this law is wrong and is a good to have. but I also love the rawness of DR. Its refreshing.

I was shocked and pleased to see this. it is and should be a social norm-  it will be tough to implement- it will take time-  but IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!

I totally agree with this new policy!  🇨🇦

Didn't you guys recently have some tourists die from bad alcohol?

Lobbying against has begun:

Licenses for the sale of alcohol would be harmful to the economic activity of the Dominican Republic

https://www.diariolibre.com/economia/li … HK29011556

Legislation to control the sale, supply and consumption of alcoholic beverages would cause a very damaging impact on economic activity and the generation of jobs, considered the Association of Industries of the Dominican Republic (AIRD).

When objecting to a bill on the subject circulating in the National Congress, AIRD indicated that such a legal framework would create confusion, as well as dualities of institutional roles in the fight against illicit alcoholic beverages.

The industrialists' union assured that there are mechanisms for the effective control of the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages without the need to create a law such as the aforementioned one .

Among those legal mechanisms, he cited Laws 17-19, for the Eradication of Illicit Trade; 63-17 on Mobility, Land Transport, Traffic and Road Safety and 136-03 that dictates the Code for the Protection of the Rights of Children and Adolescents.

Likewise, the General Law 358-05 on the Protection of the Rights of the Consumer or User and the tax regulation (implemented by DGII and DGA), among other provisions.

“The economic recovery that the country is showing is incipient and it must be cared for and strengthened. The draft Law for the Control of Sale, Supply and Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages constitutes an obstacle to this recovery, especially in relation to employment ”, warned AIRD.

It indicated that establishing limitations and restrictions on commercial activities by imposing compulsory licenses on micro, small and medium-sized companies (especially the more than 60 thousand grocery stores and places of sale of alcoholic beverages) in the current situation in the country, it would be counterproductive as it would increase operating costs and many businesses would be forced to close their doors.

Incentive to illicit trade

AIRD indicated that these licenses constitute an incentive to the illicit trade in alcohol, as has been the experience in other countries in the region, thus punishing those who comply with the law and giving advantages to continue the illicit trade to the detriment of the consumer, producers, importers and state revenues.

"It is, therefore, an incentive that can be considered perverse, although it is necessary to clarify that this is not the intention of the legislator," he said.

He recalled that as a result of the enactment of Law 17-19, on the Eradication of Illicit Trade, a work plan has been implemented to which the Attorney General's Office has joined, so before approving a regulation and inspection of illicit alcohol, it is necessary to strengthen the plans established by the central government and contemplated in the indicated legislation.

brycebigelow wrote:

Didn't you guys recently have some tourists die from bad alcohol?

More Dominicans than tourists - they have their home-made alcohol which often contains methanol. They call it cleren, and it's usually consumed at parties. Unfortunately, that sometimes means multiple family members dying from drinking at the same event.

Lennox we all new the crying would start!  Any business selling alcohol should be licensed.  There is no reason or excuse against this that is valid.  What a crock of you know what.