Driving with UK licence in Bahrain

Hello,

I want to know more or better, the legal side about driving in Bahrain with a UK License. I have been using my UK International driving license to hire and drive cars here in Bahrain this year. The rental companies have never questioned me about it so i assumed its ok to drive here. But I have heard that you can only do that for 1 year? I've googled a UK website that says you can drive indefinitely if you have a International Drivers license. So not sure on this mixture of info. I did read a thread on Expat.com saying its safer to exchange for a Bahrain license and be on the legal side. So i want to do the right thing.. So if anyone out there can help, i'd appreciate it. I'd be interested in hearing from other UK expats or generally any one who knows.. I just need to know if i have to exchange my UK license for a Bahrain one, how do i go about it? Does this mean i give up my UK one? where can i get it done? whats the process..

Any information would be appreciated.:)

thx
Jaz

Hello Jaz!

I hope that other members will be able to advise you soon.

Harmonie.:)

Not sure how it's done but there's definitely an upside when driving in the UK on a Bahraini licence, you don't get points:D

Hi Jazzy,

The international driving licence is perfectly valid in Bahrain...on a temporary basis. If you are a resident, you are supposed to go to the traffic department and get a local driving licence. Our bahraini HR manager told me that there are no such things as a one year period you could drive with the IDL. As soon as you have your CPR, you are supposed to get your DL.
In the other hand, one of my friend is driving here since 3 years with an IDL and never got controlled :D
I guess it's up to you if you like adrenaline rushes and relying on good karma :D
But at the end of the day, question is what happen in case of an accident ? The local DL takes one hour and a few dinars. As far as I'm concerned, tranquility worthes it !

Maybe you can find something usefull here : http://www.traffic.gov.bh/index.asp

Yours

Olivier

Good to know Olivier, thanks for that;)

Hi and thanks to Harmonie, Hag and Olivier for your replies. :cool:

Thanks for the useful information about driving in Bahrain with a UK License. I'm not really an adrenaline rushing person - so i'll be safe and obtain a DL. I had a look at the link you sent and it says you don't have to take an evaluation driving test if you have a license from the countries listed..and UK is listed :D

Thanks for the useful tips ;)

Jaz

Hi Jazzy,

The only test you'll have to go through is an eyes test, and a patience test ;D

Happy to know it helped

Yours

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

When you say patience test, do you mean things will be done at snails pace? :P

thx
Jaz

Did I say that ???
OK let's say It won't take long...  Inch'Allah...

:0)

Hi Everyone,
I finally got this done and it took a while but i got there in the end :) So basically i got my Bahrain Driving licence and would like to share this info with people who are looking to do same. I had a existing UK IDL so, I'll outline the process briefly.

Just to save time and be prepared, before you go to the Directorate of traffic, I would recommend to get photocopies of the following so that you don't have to queue up only to be told you need copies of your documents. So take copies of your

CPR Card (Front & Back)
Passport
Resident Stamp (on passport)
Existing License (Front & Back, mine was UK IDL license)

You also need two passport sized photographs.

Once you have all these documents, take a ticket, wait for your turn, you will be presented with an application form, fill in ALL appropriate details, name, address..ect Once filled in, see one of the people on the counter, they check the form is filled in correctly, with all copies of above documents. They stamp it, and then refer you to the eye test section. Once you pass the eye test, the examiner stamps your paper work.

You then have to  come back to the main waiting area section where you will be referred to the main person who checks your documentation. This person, signs your document and sends you back to the main waiting area to see a specific person on the counter. Once you see this person, they scan your docs and refer you to the cashier. Here you have to pay 27.500 BHD. Once you paid you get, referred to the last person where you hand over your paperwork, and then your Bahraini driving licence card  gets processed. It takes about 10 mins for them to print it outon a small card (same size as a credit card) :/ Once received, you are the proud owner of a Bahraini Driving licence! :D

Hope this helps other expats in Bahrain. :cheers:

Thanks for the info Jazzy;)

Hey Jazzy !

Great feedback thank you so much for that :D
Of course it will definitely help the other expats !
That's exactly the spirit of this forum...

Cheers

Hey Olivier / Hag,
Thanks for your generous comments and glad you found it useful.
I'm hoping to post more information like this in the future..

thx
Jaz  ;)

Hey there, great advice and tips. One question: where is the Traffic department located? I need to get a licence this week!!!

Also, if anyone has a GPS reference or good directions to the office in ISA Town where they issue CPR cards that would be a great help... I have to go down there to process my wife's CPR.

Cheers,

Hey Bartowel,

The Traffic Dept is in Isa Town at the intersection of Shaikh Salman Highway and 16th December Avenue (GPS coord : 26°09'N - 50°32'E).

For the office "where they issue CPR" are you sure it's in Isa Town ? I know only the LMRA which is close to Bahrain Mall (Géant) and the Directorate of Immigration and Passport which is in Diplomatic Area close to the German Embassy and Netherlands Consulate.

Cheers

Olivier

Thanks Olivier - as helpful as ever.

My employer told me the CPR office is in ISA Town. I will double check.... Thanks

Many thanks to Olivier/France and also to Jazzy851.
I went today, and following Jazzy851 instructions, my Driving Licence was ready in 20 minutes.

Cheers

Hi Mjancke,
Welcome to Bahrian -
Good to see my input on the forum has helped others here in Bahrain. :)
I am also glad it took alot less time to do than mine.. It took me about 2 hours to get my done. :(
I hope others will find this information as useful and helpful as you did.. ;)

Jaz :proud

Hi

I was confused and worried if I had to undergo the entire driving test process after landing here at Bahrain. Your post is very helpful and self explanatory with all minute details that makes me confident that I can get my DL quickly with the UK IDL that I possess. I just waiting for my CBR to arrive so that I can go directly and apply for my DL at Baharin. One question on that is will they be exchanging the Bahrain DL with UK IDL or will we possess both UK IDL and Bahrain IDL?

No they will give you back the UK license. They only keep / exchange other GCC licenses.

Wow. Thats good. Thanks for your reply Xtang.