Working Remotely Outside Singapore

Hi all! Just wondering..for spass holders, is there a maximum period that a company can allow the employee to work remotely outside Singapore? Thanks!

What do you mean by working remotely outside Singapore?
If you work outside Singapore, this is not covered by Singapore law and should not be discussed on this forum. (This includes working in another country remotely for a Singapore employer - ask on that country's forum instead!)
If you want to work in Singapore, but remotely for a foreign employer (that has no office in Singapore), things get complicated: You do need a visa permitting work in Singapore, but the employer cannot apply for one of the usual work passes for you (WP, S-Pass, EP). Since Singapore has no visa type for freelancers, this is only only possible if you own a business in Singapore (EntrePass) or have a right to work here by other means (PR, PEP). I do not know if LTVP with LoC is possible - worth investigating if you have an LTVP anyway.

Here is an interesting article explaining the complications and pitfalls of cross-border remote working, for both employer and employee:
https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/opinio … ndemic-era

Sorry lemme clarify. If the employee is an SP or EP holder of a singaporean company,but would just prefer to work remotely in his home country for the time being due to pandemic. Hope it's clear now!

As I stated above, such cases are governed by the (employment and other) laws of that country, not Singapore.
In many countries a company must be registered there in order to employ anyone, meaning the remote worker has no employer and would be classified as self-employed, freelancer or needs to register an own business.
But please ask about this on that country's forum.
You also do not need a Singapore work pass to do such work in another country. Whether you can keep an existing work pass depends on the circumstances (only if it's temporary and incidental to your Singapore employment). Ask MoM!

Edited to add: You will almost certainly have to pay income tax in the other country - and may have to pay Simgapore tax as well!

Work from home! You might have an existing employment pass but you request to work from home country for a short period of time? Probably 1,2,3,4… or so months? This is what the question probably is. Any maximum time you can be employed by Singapore company with existing work pass but doing your work outside Singapore for a short period of time? This is the question

pinoy_guy wrote:

Work from home! You might have an existing employment pass but you request to work from home country for a short period of time? Probably 1,2,3,4… or so months? This is what the question probably is. Any maximum time you can be employed by Singapore company with existing work pass but doing your work outside Singapore for a short period of time? This is the question

Yes exactly! You got it right!! Cant find in MOM website

There is no easy or clear answer to this - and MoM has no say in it.
As I wrote above, you are in this case governed by a different law. You cannot just go to another country and expect your Singapore contract and visa to be still valid there - they are not!
Most country's laws allow short periods of work (i.e. business trips) without formalities. But again that differs from country to country and thus is a topic for that country's forum, not Singapore.
(For the opposite case: People coming to Singapore on short-term assignments can work up to 60 days without permit and taxation. There are also some excemptions for people stuck here longer due to COVID travel restrictions.)

To my knowledge due to restricted travel to Singapore, you can WF home country as long as your employer is ok with that. lot of my friends are doing the same who got struck in Home country due to travel restrictions

Is it possible  can work from home even  I'm holding IPA?

Hi all,

I am foreigner and was offered to work from home in my homecountry with SG company.

can I visit SG with social visit pass and work few days here?

@Maikel Lin You can visit and attend business meetings, but doing any other paid work is illegal and can get you into deep trouble - so DON'T!

Any other paid work, does it mean the work that I do with the SG company that I am employed with as well?

@Maikel Lin You can only work in Singapore if you are employed by the company and have a work visa for it. With a visitor visa, you can only attend business meetings.

I assume you would be employed by the Singapore company's office in your country (which is a separate legal entity), not by the Singapore company itself, right?

Just curious, can I spend few days working here in SG while engage with this company? Will it be a matter?

As far as I know, there is a local office in my homecountry. But I am only engaged with SG-related matters when working from home. What do you think about this?  Do u have any idea?

@Maikel Lin You seem to not understand:

• You are employed by a Singapore company AND have a work visa for it: Yes, you can work.
  • You have only a tourist (visit) visa: You cannot work - you can only attend business meetings with clients or partners!