Prescription medication

Hello my expat friends!
I'm here in Budapest since July and noticed that I'm getting low on my prescription pain medicine. Since I'm a US citizen and not dual citizen, I wonder if anyone was able to get a prescription medication from for instance, a local general practitioner whose district is where you reside? Of course I have no Hungarian medical insurance so it would cost me cash to get it IF a Hungarian Dr. would be willing to supply me with the prescription based on the information found on my prescription bottle..
I own my own flat where I reside in Budapest. I also have my prescription medicine's original bottle so I can show it to the Dr. I'm wondering who can help me in Budapest?
The other idea I have is to have my medication mailed here to Budapest which my US Dr. prescribes and my Dad can send me here to Budapest. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance!

As far as I know, it is normal for you to visit a local doctor with all meds that you have, they may well give you a check up then give you a presription. Of course theere may well be fees incured.

Thank You very much! This sounds relieving and WONDERFUL. Many thanks!

From my own personal experice with having several surgeries here in HU, they aren't great at handing out the pain meds.
Even had a dentist ask if I wanted or needed a pain shot before getting a filling.
Just had a very "extreme" rectal exam this wekk, still hard to sit in one spot post exam!
Do know a HU/US couple who are basically hooked on xanax, they have a friend who gives them the scripts. It's about who you know or how much you can afford sometimes here.

rb421 wrote:

The other idea I have is to have my medication mailed here to Budapest which my US Dr. prescribes and my Dad can send me here to Budapest. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance!

The chances are that Customs will take your posted medicines and destroy them, particularly if they contain any opioids.  That includes things like codeine.  Hungary is one of those places that does not (easily) allow personal imports of medicines by post.  The closest country I know that does is Croatia.  This might not be a help. 

That said, painkiller medications like aspirin or paracetamol (acetaminophen) or Ibuprofen are obtainable over the counter. 

But do watch out for the price and branding.  Aspirin is a particular annoyance here as it's almost impossible to buy cheap generic versions.  Aspirin is Bayer branded and ridiculously expensive.  Same for other painkillers.

Paracetamol I've never bought here nor Ibruprofen.  I can buy these in the UK relatively cheap and I bring them here - 400 HUF for 30.  They sell this kind of thing in supermarkets in limited ways.  But here, apparently not.

Your best bet is to see a doctor who will give you a prescription. Be prepared to be ripped off.  But  you can see if your medicine is on the approved list here

Bear in mind your medicine may have a similar or completely different name here or different doses.

p.s. BTW, you used to be able to buy almost anything OTC (over the counter) in Ukraine but I don't know if it's like that now.

We used to be able to purchase penicillin OTC here in Hungary. Not any longer.
Asprin is a rip off here for sure, very expensive what what you get in return.
Have to ask at the pharmacy for anything even drops for dry eyes are behind the counter.
My sister said in the UK in the early 1970's they still sold cough meds with codine OTC.
I have never been given too many pain pills here in Hungary , after knee surgery I got no script for anything, shoulder surgery either, got nada.
Seems they are afraid people will get hooked.
In the 1930's my great-aunt would buy ,"asthma reliever cigs" OTF, they contained grass.This was in the US they also used to put Coke in Coke but like all good things, they never last.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Have to ask at the pharmacy for anything even drops for dry eyes are behind the counter.
My sister said in the UK in the early 1970's they still sold cough meds with codine OTC.
I have never been given too many pain pills here in Hungary , after knee surgery I got no script for anything, shoulder surgery either, got nada.
In the 1930's my great-aunt would buy ,"asthma reliever cigs" OTF, they contained grass.This was in the US they also used to put Coke in Coke but like all good things, they never last.

Yes, it's true, in the UK, it was easy to buy codeine OTC.  I remember my parents giving that stuff to me.   

I think it's all a bit "nanny state".   Some people will do silly things but educating them should reduce that.

In many other countries, it's really easy to buy stuff OTC.  Anything really.  And often the prices are often very much lower than in the West.  It's of course a risk to buy pharma stuff in some places - lots of fake meds around.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, it's true, in the UK, it was easy to buy codeine OTC.  I remember my parents giving that stuff to me.   

I think it's all a bit "nanny state".   Some people will do silly things but educating them should reduce that.

In many other countries, it's really easy to buy stuff OTC.  Anything really.  And often the prices are often very much lower than in the West.  It's of course a risk to buy pharma stuff in some places - lots of fake meds around.

I know in the US they monitor who buys certain allergy meds because some fools use the stuff to make meth with.
Have to show your ID to buy allergy pills.
Reminds me of," Breaking Bad".

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I know in the US they monitor who buys certain allergy meds because some fools use the stuff to make meth with.
Have to show your ID to buy allergy pills.
Reminds me of," Breaking Bad".

Probably people will cook up meth using OTC stuff.  But anyone likely to do that is easily going to get around it using various fronts.  Showing ID, meh, people can knock up a fake DL on a colour printer.

Breaking Bad was a great show and the industrial scale of the meth cooking was quite something to see. Spin off Better Call Saul (BCS) is pretty good (on Netflix) BUT Bob Odenkirk (aka Saul Goodman) had a heart attack on set.   It's the last season so if the Bob O had died, we'd have been left not knowing the end of the story.  I'm glad he managed to fight off the Grim Reaper for now so we can find out what happens. 

After BCS, meh, I didn't like him in anything else. I saw him in some movie - Little Women - which I couldn't watch. It was too boring. Put me right off anything else he's done.

Hello
I am wondering if I need a prescription for getting any cold medications.

Please advise
-@FSAHMADI71

From your other post.....

I signed in to your helpful website because my daughter plans to attend a university in Gyor. I have some questions about the medication. She has some immune system issues. as a typical mom, I am concerned about her.

First of all if she has health issues, I would strongly recommend that she registered with a doctor. She will of course need Health Insurance anyway.

Hello
I am wondering if I need a prescription for getting any cold medications.

Please advise
-@FSAHMADI71

If you want paracetamol, no, you don't.   

An issue is to obtain generic versions as these are 1/3 of the price of the branded versions (e.g. Nurofen).  Pharmacists push branded versions as it's a higher profit.   Generics are just as effective as the branded versions.

I strongly recommend NeoCitran for colds for which you don't need a prescription.

BZch--JCMAA9q7y.jpg:large

Just to add, as said above, brand names are often the same as the own brand pharmaceuticals, you can tell the difference by the Product Licence (PL) number; if the number is the same, it's the same product.  Examples of a PL number are shown in this picture:

220px-PLcodes.jpg

@Cynic That's a good tip. In HU, it's almost criminal they push branded over generics. Mrs Fluffy and I have had words over this sort of behaviour by pharmacies.  There's a lot of pushing of quack medicines by pharmacies as well. Like vitamin supplements etc.  Doctors push them and probably get a cut.

IDK why some medications are reasonable in price and others are sky high.

I visited the ortho doctor a couple months ago.

My knee was on fire huring day and night for weeks.

He took x-rays and did an exam, I had osteo surgery 9 years ago on it, they just looked aorund inside and did some mild scrapping. Really was better off before they messed aorund with it.

I had to get PT on it in the US and was using a cane for over a year post surgery. Was suppose to just use crutches for 2 weeks? Something wasn't right with the surgery.

Well the ortho doc had 2 options for me.

Take some bone building pills or get some hots.

I went for the quicker fix of shots.

He said the shots were very expensive, why do they charge so much if it is a part of ortho treatment? I would think it would be covered as a medical procedure.

Had shots in both knees, at a cost of 45,000 each knee, totla of 90,000.

All cash, couldn't use our card at the desk up front but gave cash to the doc in hand.

That seems like it's not part of the regualr medical system here.

IDK, when someone is in pain they will pay if they can.

They have you over a barrel.

What happens to people who don't have an extra 90,000 to just give away?

Sppliments were soemthing I really didn't spend much money on in the past. Now we have a tray full of items we take daily.

The food is lacking allot of the minerals and vitamins that we need due to farming and adding chemiclas to the soil etc.

Vitamin C and D are really important.

We hardly get enough sun all year long here to get D from the source itself, the sun.

I take allot of imune boosing suppliments these days.

ALA, AHCC, black seed oil NAC,L-Lysine just to name a few.

I think they have helped me even if in reality I just have expensive waste.

In hospital I got some shots that we had to purchase before I was admitted. Only cost $25. for 5 shots. I compaired prices with those in the US. There it would be well over $1,000 for the shots at a pharmacy.

It confuses us so much with some medications being affordable here and others costing full price like in the west.

IDK why some medications are reasoonable in price and others are sky high.
He took x-rays and did an exam, I had osteo surgery 9 years ago on it, they just looked aorund inside and did some mild scrapping. Really was better off before they messed aorund with it.
I had to get PT on it in the US and was using a cane for over a year post surgery. Was suppose to just use crutches for 2 weeks? Something wasn't right with the surgery.
He said the shots were very expensive, why do they charge so much if it is a part of ortho treatment? I would think it would be covered as a medical procedure.
All cash, couldn't use our card at the desk up front but gave cash to the doc in hand.
Sppliments were soemthing I really didn't spend much money on in the past. Now we have a tray full of items we take daily.
The food is lacking allot of the minerals and vitamins that we need due to farming and adding chemiclas to the soil etc.
We hardly get enough sun all year long here to get D from the source itself, the sun.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I am going slightly off-topic. If I am in Wales I will visit the doctor and get a prescription because it will be free.  But where I am in Austria, I have a very good pharmacist that will give me a cheaper option than what the doctor has prescribed me as I have to pay either way for it.

IDK why some medications are reasoonable in price and others are sky high.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I am going slightly off-topic. If I am in Wales I will visit the doctor and get a prescription because it will be free. But where I am in Austria, I have a very good pharmacist that will give me a cheaper option than what the doctor has prescribed me as I have to pay either way for it.
-@SimCityAT

Yes, in England of course if over 60, it's the same,  exemption from drug charges.  It would be a vote winner in any European country.  Makes me wonder why they haven't thought of it elsewhere. 

In hospital I got some shots that we had to purchase before I was admitted. Only cost $25. for 5 shots. I compaired prices with those in the US. There it would be well over $1,000 for the shots at a pharmacy.
It confuses us so much with some medications being affordable here and others costing full price like in the west.
-@Marilyn Tassy

There's loads of sun in Hungary. Hardly anyone needs extra vitamin D - definitely not in the summer.   

God help you if you didn't have 90K HUF available.  People on HU pensions I am sure die due to lack of medicine and state support.

Yes, in England of course if over 60, it's the same, exemption from drug charges. It would be a vote winner in any European country. Makes me wonder why they haven't thought of it elsewhere.
-@fluffy2560

Going to A & E in mainland Europe is better than than the UK

Yes, in England of course if over 60, it's the same, exemption from drug charges. It would be a vote winner in any European country. Makes me wonder why they haven't thought of it elsewhere.
-@fluffy2560

Going to A & E in mainland Europe is better than than the UK
-@SimCityAT

Not in Hungary. It's a terrible zoo in HU hospitals. 

I've been in A&E in the UK and Hungary recently with my dear old Dad and my MIL. While everyone everywhere is kind, it's clear A&E in the UK have far better resources, staffing levels and skills.  It's much more professional looking in the UK.   

In Hungary, it's clearly massively underfunded.

Perhaps I am too simple, but if resident being and part of the health system is not too difficult, one has to be lucky with the GP (I was I think, no problems at all (tipping unfortunately helps))

@cdw057 By the way, I do not like doctors at all, I have problems (in Turkey), but doctors are far too commercial, all day a little bit of pain in knees and finger tips, I can walk max 2 km per hour. But that is fine, looking at some acquinanteces and family, doctors will always find something and advise this or that (can also be negative). A bit of pain is fine, surgeries I am not so fine. (good outcome is far from guaranteed I think).

Of couse I really break a leg or arm, fine. But nobody has to tell me this or that, ones body is very clever. I will continue as I am (yes I am getting old (nuch older than people 2000 years ago))

@cdw057 By the way, I do not like doctors at all, I have problems (in Turkey), but doctors are far too commercial, all day a little bit of pain in knees and finger tips, I can walk max 2 km per hour. But that is fine, looking at some acquinanteces and family, doctors will always find something and advise this or that (can also be negative). A bit of pain is fine, surgeries I am not so fine. (good outcome is far from guaranteed I think).
Of couse I really break a leg or arm, fine. But nobody has to tell me this or that, ones body is very clever. I will continue as I am (yes I am getting old (nuch older than people 2000 years ago))
-@cdw057

If it was 2000 years ago, you probably wouldn't have made it past 35 years old.   Disease would have got you, teeth fallen out or attacked by wild animals or enemy tribes.   Amazing anyone survived really. Perhaps humans are not as tough as we were.

I am not sure about Turkish surgery.  There are lots of online reports about bungled plastic surgery where people die or the wrong surgery has been performed and on return of the patient home, local health services have to pick the problems from the mistakes made. 

I guess people  are not up on their risks these days.  I'm always weighing up risks all the time but that's partially my day job, it's become a bit built in to do it.  I do find when I talk to people, they virtually never think about the risk to themselves and their families.  It comes across as pessimistic on my part but that's the thing people should do - old saying/cliche is "assume the worst, hope for the best".

I spent decades of my life doing everything possible to be ultra healthy.

Worked out to the point of almost passing out years ago in heavy duty classes with 50 sweaty people in one room, windows all fogged up etc.

25 plus years of yoga and other exercises, never in my life have I gained an extra pound of weight, even was almost underweight while pregnant.

No red meat for over 30 years, meditation done everyday.

Never stressed out about making money or getting material items, always had enough and never wanted to put in the extra effort of stress of getting ahead of anyone.

Still 18 month ago I found myself in oncology.

Great news I yesterday I got my another good report, Seems I am fixed!!

Side effect of treatment are minor overall, never lost my hair, just thinned out a bit. I didn't really care if I lost it or not, I used the experience as a lesson to be even more humble and to be glad each day for the little things.

I learned who is in my corner when the chips are down and who is a fair weather friend.

It's all good,I expect to get under everyones skin for many years to come.

My brother on the other hand was ill at the same time I was. He passed away even with his first class health insurnace. Hundrends of thousands of dollars were spent on him but he passed from a silly blood infection.

I now wonder if less is more with health care as we always thought it was.

Seems like the better your insurnace is the more they put you through.

Yes, doctors have their place, broken bones, rare illness put sometimes they do more harm then good.

My friend in AZ was a super atheltic teenager, skied, body surfed, was on the track team and always active with everything climbing mountians etc.

She devloped some sort of strange muscle condition shortly after her second marriage, about 30 years ago.

Had numberous useless operations on her ankles and knees.

Slowly went from using a cane to a walker to now using a wheelchair and only being able to slowly walk inside her home a few hundred feet once or twice per week.

The doctors made her ankles so twisted up that she can no long even wear shoes.

I am angry with them over what they did to her for profit.

My husband often says he wonders why she is still fighting to live but he doesn't seem to see the big picture. She still finds the beauty in seeing the stars at night and watching the wild life even the rattle snakes that are in her yard.

We never know what life has in store for us.

Perhaps I am too simple, but if resident being and part of the health system is not too difficult, one has to be lucky with the GP (I was I think, no problems at all (tipping unfortunately helps))
-@cdw057

Yesterday ,we were waiting in oncology to get some results of my latest tests.

We noticed a nurse pull away fast from an older couple in the waiting room.

The old women was slick, it was still obvious she was trying to grease the wheels by tipping.

The nurse just about ran away as fast as she could.

They take tipping seriously now.

I paid 90,000 for 2 shots in my knees a couple months back but somehow that was OK for them to charge me with a cash payment directly to the ortho doc.

It's confusing really. I know you are only alowed legally to give up to 45,000 in a gift basket but not sure about cash payments in hand to doctors.

I know we tried to give our GP a few bucks, the old GP was happy to take it but this new younger doctors refused. I'm happy we know where she stands and will not try again .

I noticed though with my oncologist, he is a super busy man , professor of oncology and never is left alone, people are running to him and waiting outside his office all the time. He spends as little time with each person as possible. Just enough to move them along, I think I got a full 90 seconds of his time although he did walk us up to the front desk and tell the clerk what to do.

No special treamtnet here in Hungay unless you pay private.

My friend in AZ's husband had the same illness I had.

His bill without any hospital stay in the US was $98,000.

I must of paid less then $200 for minor things along the way, maybe not even that much here in Hungary.

Impersonal care here but they do their jobs.

I know we tried to give our GP a few bucks, the old GP was happy to take it but this new younger doctors refused. I'm happy we know where she stands and will not try again .
I noticed though with my oncologist, he is a super busy man , professor of oncology and never is left alone, people are running to him and waiting outside his office all the time. He spends as little time with each person as possible. Just enough to move them along, I think I got a full 90 seconds of his time although he did walk us up to the front desk and tell the clerk what to do.
No special treamtnet here in Hungay unless you pay private.
My friend in AZ's husband had the same illness I had.
His bill without any hospital stay in the US was $98,000.
I must of paid less then $200 for minor things along the way, maybe not even that much here in Hungary.
Impersonal care here but they do their jobs.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I don't know about those Professor Doctors. Some of them are too full of themselves.

GPs are still on the make in Hungary. We haven't seen any cash payments for our kids' doctor. I guess where kids are involved, there's still some morality and ethics. One of our kids will be over 18 soon and becomes an adult. That one has to find a GP which is quite difficult to do as some are better than others and even, the others have a lower category of totally useless.

$98K is an awful lot of money to pay. That would bankrupt many people. This is one of the things that would always come up in discussions between say, Europeans/Canadians/Australians/NZers about how US healthcare is 1st world standard but delivered brutally in a financial and dare I say it, 3rd world way.  I don't know why reform is so resisted there, it makes no sense to me at all. Looks like dog eat dog.

I often wondered why sick US people didn't leave and try and move to another country that has more universal health care.

I guess you can compare the UK NHS of today with the system in Hungary. I have friends in the UK that write about how the NHS has deteriorated over the past 10 years. I hear the same story from my doctor friend in Germany. The old mum of my wife living in Hungary tries to avoid the doctors as much as possible. What do you think how the Hungarian healthcare system. Does it do the job for you and your family?

I guess you can compare the UK NHS of today with the system in Hungary. I have friends in the UK that write about how the NHS has deteriorated over the past 10 years. I hear the same story from my doctor friend in Germany. The old mum of my wife living in Hungary tries to avoid the doctors as much as possible. What do you think how the Hungarian healthcare system. Does it do the job for you and your family?
-@nz7521137

I'm viewing the NHS system here in the UK as an active participant this week.  Yesterday my 99-year old Dad went into a home and has to pay for his care from his savings and probably the sale of his apartment.  The costs are outrageous.  It's not free care at the point of use at all.  When his finances are reduced, then the government will take over payment for it.  He was in hospital before and that was free at the point of delivery.  It's not  good.  The system is stacked against  patient if all that is wrong is frailty due to old age.  Worse thing is my Dad does NOT have dementia. He knows everything still.

I believe HU is worse but a lot cheaper to keep someone in there.  We have no idea what to do with my MIL.

@fluffy2560 The situation of your dad sounds very much like what would happen in Germany. Above and beyond having to be lucky to get a place in a care home at all. They are quite expensive and in short supply. Using savings and an apartment doesn't sound so bad considering that one won't need the apartment anymore. So far in my family everybody either died at home or after a short stay in a hospital. However, nobody got that old. Good luck with everything and X fingers that you dad will take it easy being away from home.

-@nz7521137

I'm viewing the NHS system here in the UK as an active participant this week. Yesterday my 99-year old Dad went into a home and has to pay for his care from his savings and probably the sale of his apartment. The costs are outrageous. It's not free care at the point of use at all. When his finances are reduced, then the government will take over payment for it. He was in hospital before and that was free at the point of delivery. It's not good. The system is stacked against patient if all that is wrong is frailty due to old age. Worse thing is my Dad does NOT have dementia. He knows everything still.

I believe HU is worse but a lot cheaper to keep someone in there. We have no idea what to do with my MIL.
-@fluffy2560

I am not sure exactly how you feel abut prayers but I will be praying for you with these insane BS issues with the health care system.

My God, at age 99 they should be treating your father like GOLD,

My mom. decided to sell out and get a Chasiers check when she knew her days were numberd.

She never trusted the system.

I am truly sorry to hear this news.

I had hopes thinking the UK was much more logical, fair and decent then the US is.

This world is a total mess.

God bless yout father in his old age.

Tell a friend in the States that you've had a bad accident and the first thing they'll say before even asking how you're doing is, "Did you have insurance?"

Tell a friend in the States that you've had a bad accident and the first thing they'll say before even asking how you're doing is, "Did you have insurance?"
-@zif

They'd never ask that question in the UK.  If you've been in an accident, they'll take you to an NHS hospital A&E (Accident and Emergency/US: Emergency Room).  Realistically there's no other way to get emergency care at a hospital. 

Even foreigners without insurance are likely to be treated free for simple stuff because the system to pay is quite difficult to procedurally negotiate for the medical staff.

@fluffy2560 The situation of your dad sounds very much like what would happen in Germany. Above and beyond having to be lucky to get a place in a care home at all. They are quite expensive and in short supply. Using savings and an apartment doesn't sound so bad considering that one won't need the apartment anymore. So far in my family everybody either died at home or after a short stay in a hospital. However, nobody got that old. Good luck with everything and X fingers that you dad will take it easy being away from home.
-@nz7521137

He was living alone until about 1 month ago and after a series of falls, he was in hospital. His carers had reached the end of their skills and it needed to go to the next level where there was 24x7 nursing care.  Of course his apartment will be traded for care but there will be no money left to inherit. It doesn't bother us so much but it bothers him for some reason. Luckily he has some money for the care - at least for a while.  I don't think he'll last more than 6 months.

My MIL is in a bit of the same situation. Falling over in the garden and in her house. Confused etc.  Her house will also need to be sold to pay for the care.  She could survive years.

Just a short story of neighbours in our village, woman 20 years younger than husband (both German) and at the time 60 and 80 respectively. The woman noticed Alzheimer with husband quicklly, husband was very let us say confused with garden and eg fridge, TV, etc. Difficult. But even young (60) she had cancer and was (in my view too desperate to survive).

If life is over, it is over, just let it come and not take too many treatments (as a side note, most of the Germans still have German rights for health care (not honest, but that is the way)

No success after a lot of effort for her, the husband was in a Austrian elderly home and he started in pyamas to walk to Hungary in the middle of the night (he was caught and deceased since) but still I made me think what is worse ?? (physical or mentally).

-@Marilyn Tassy

There's loads of sun in Hungary. Hardly anyone needs extra vitamin D - definitely not in the summer. 

God help you if you didn't have 90K HUF available. People on HU pensions I am sure die due to lack of medicine and state support.
-@fluffy2560

I'm not sure how many units of vitamin D one can get daily from the sun but most people really do need to suppliment their vitamin D-3.

Ill people need between 10,000 and 30,000 units per day.

It's anti- cancer, helps older people with bone loss,fights depression and many other benefits.

I suppose it's realative about Hungary having sunshine. Those winter months are so gloomy I dn't think much sun can break through to give anyone enough natural D.

Las Vegas, Ca, Hawaii and New Mexico had so much sunshine all year round that I used to take it for granted.

I do find that people who live in a sunny climate are usually happier year round.

-@nz7521137

The HU national health does the basics but you have to push them to do more then the min.

If you want tests you often have to ask for them.

Some tests are standard protocal in the US while here if you don't ask for them, they let it slide.

-@cdw057

It is now illegal to tip in Hungary.

Of course some doctors get around it by charging for extra treatments.

I paid out 90,000 from pocket, no reciept to an ortho doc for shots in my knees just a few months ago. My husband said since they have changed the tipping laws here it is still legal to give a small gift to a medical staff memeber or doctor that is valued to be no more then 45,000.

My husband is thinking though when I got my shots the doc had about 6 of us go downstairs in a closed office and called us up one at a time for our shots.

One or two people looked to  us as if they might not be able to afford 45,000.

My husband suspects that the ortho doc charged them less and made up the difference with those who he thought could afford the max.

IDK, my husband tends to suspect evil from anyone in power. After all he grew up here and is from the school of hard knocks.

We try to avoid doctors at all costs. Sadly 2 years ago I fell into their clutches...

I've been declared clear and healthy but dang what an experience it was and still is with follow up tests.

Off soon today for a blood test. ( I am pushing for an extra test, sort of sorry now as reality sets in)

I had a nightmare last night, I saw the face of Satan.

He looked like my doctor!!!

I do find that people who live in a sunny climate are usually happier year round.
-@Marilyn Tassy

There is even more sun in Portugal and we have to take Vitamin D as well. Only 30000 U.I per month, but still. Since we do this our blood tests always show us within the range Vitamin D should be. Without the test one wouldn't know.

I agree about the happiness. Since we moved from Vienna (also pretty gloomy during winter) Perth in Western Australia we are much happier. Since then I have also never lived further away from the sea than 30 minutes by car.

I'm not sure how many units of vitamin D one can get daily from the sun but most people really do need to suppliment their vitamin D-3.
Ill people need between 10,000 and 30,000 units per day.
It's anti- cancer, helps older people with bone loss,fights depression and many other benefits.
I suppose it's realative about Hungary having sunshine. Those winter months are so gloomy I dn't think much sun can break through to give anyone enough natural D.
Las Vegas, Ca, Hawaii and New Mexico had so much sunshine all year round that I used to take it for granted.
-@Marilyn Tassy

We had this discussion with the kids' doctors when they were young.

You don't need that much sun during the summer to get enough vitamin D. But it depends where you are. Northern Europe is the worst in the winter because everyone is covered up because of the cold.  10 minutes a day in the summer should be enough as more skin exposed. Need more in the winter - 2 hours in the winter (due to being covered up with clothing).

Docs also suggested the kids had vitamin E drops for a while.

I have to take B12 because of my medications for diabetes reduce my red blood cells (i.e. I can get mild anemia).

Just a short story of neighbours in our village, woman 20 years younger than husband (both German) and at the time 60 and 80 respectively. The woman noticed Alzheimer with husband quicklly, husband was very let us say confused with garden and eg fridge, TV, etc. Difficult. But even young (60) she had cancer and was (in my view too desperate to survive).
If life is over, it is over, just let it come and not take too many treatments (as a side note, most of the Germans still have German rights for health care (not honest, but that is the way)
No success after a lot of effort for her, the husband was in a Austrian elderly home and he started in pyamas to walk to Hungary in the middle of the night (he was caught and deceased since) but still I made me think what is worse ?? (physical or mentally).
-@cdw057

When I was visiting my Dad in hospital, there was another patient who was trying to escape.  They have buttons to open the door to stop patients leaving.  They were telling the patient he'd had a brain hemorrhage and he needed to be in bed.  You could see him really struggling with the concept.  But his friend and the staff persuaded him to return to his bed but then I saw him again sitting in a wheelchair being guarded by the staff.   Very difficult for him and the staff.

In the care home my Dad is in, there's a keypad with code you need to know to get in and out.  While my Dad doesn't have dementia or Alzheimers, others do.  It's a simple 4-digit code but too difficult for most patients.

What is very weird (to me) is the random shouting going on.  Patients having hallucinations, saying things like "don't do that, don't come near me" etc.  No-one there.  The workers there seem to be completely at ease with all this.  My Dad is unable to understand how to push the call button for assistance.  He's very deaf and it's a communication problem. They think he's unresponsive but it's because he cannot hear them.  I have to keep telling them to speak loudly into his ear.  The hospital lost his hearing aids. New ones are on the way (free from the NHS). There are a lot of foreign workers with thick accents.  He finds them extremely difficult to understand. 

Care workers in care homes are some of the most underappreciated workers in the world.  They absolutely deserve decent salaries. Unfortunately in the UK, it's minimum wage.