Medicines in Budapest

Hi everyone
We are compiling a list of things we need to bring when we move to Budapest - medicines etc that we would find hard to live without for 8 months.

Just wondering if these are readily available in pharmacies (as they are here in Australia) and what we would ask for?-

- Nurofen (ibuprofen)
- Panadol (paracetamol)
- bite/itch relief cream
- ventolin (for asthma)
- anti-histamine tablets for hayfever and allergies

Obviously with prescription medications we will stock up here and bring letters from our doctors and spare copies of the prescriptions. (We will have to bring 8 months worth!!)

Advice welcome... thanks :)

PS this makes us sound like a sickly pair - we promise we are not! ;)

I use Allegra for my allergies, which is the only thing that ever worked for me in the States, so I'm glad they have it here, under the same name!

octobop wrote:

I use Allegra for my allergies, which is the only thing that ever worked for me in the States, so I'm glad they have it here, under the same name!

We have a brand here called Telfast - we might bring a pack and hope for the best in Budapest when it runs out! :)

Always a good idea to bring some supply of required, allowed medication with you to tide you over for the start of your stay. But do check what is allowed if you have doubts. Nothing worse than trying to find an essential the first few weeks in a new place when you most want to enjoy the experience of just being in a new place most of all.

That being said, Hungary is in the EU, after all, and you can get most anything you may need here in the way of medication . The brand or generic name used may simply be different as will be the price. English speaking doctors are available, they will cost more. And if you are in real doubt, remember that Vienna is only a short few hours away by train so you have options.

Yes, I am quite near the borders with Croatia, Slovenia and Austria so if I have difficulties getting medicines I might try those countries. I already look for some things I need on the Austria Ebay site but that is mainly because the German language is so much easier than Hungarian!

Ibuprofen:
http://www.egeszsegkalauz.hu/keresok/gy … /ibuprofen

Paracetamol is available in a million forms as well, including Panadol.

Bite-itch: There are many kinds available, disproportionately many for  the kinds of stings and bites available :-) It's pretty much down to nettle, mosquito, bee and wasp. Spiders are teeny-tiny, and snakes are a very rare site, all species badly endangered.
I'm not a big fan of antihistamines for healthy children, and most of these cremes are mostly that, so I just buy a container of blank creme (no active ingredient) at the pharmacy, keep it in the fridge. Works like a charm :-)

Luckily I know nothing about asthma and allergies, but there seems to be a wide range of inhalers, pills, air purifiers, evaporators, etc available. Budapest air can get quite polluted during the winter, so if this is a concern, you may want to keep your initial lease period in the inner city short until you see how you do there.

szocske wrote:

Ibuprofen:
http://www.egeszsegkalauz.hu/keresok/gy … /ibuprofen

Paracetamol is available in a million forms as well, including Panadol.

Went into the the pharmacy today and asked for ibuprofen and paracetamol... after all the illness in our household since arriving, and all the medications we have been given (one made me vomit, the others seemed ok but were completely foreign to me!), I was thrilled that a) the pharmacist knew what we wanted, and b) they had brands I knew! Interestingly, at home (Aus.) both of these medications come in pills of 200mg each. Here, the pills are 500mg... Luckily I read the packet and only took one, not two as I would at home!

Thanks to your post, it meant I could go in and ask for it directly - awesome!

I'm seeing more and more brands that we have in the States.  Advil Forte is 400mg ibuprofen.

It's been ten years since that post, and high-dose ibuprofen tablets (600 and 800 mg tablets) now require a prescription.