English speaking optician?

Anyone can recommend an English speaking optician here in Budapest? I just need to get a prescription. Any idea on how much it will cost? Thanks in advance for any recommendations or opinions.

I went to Vision Express. They spoke English to a degree. I found it to be very expensive, the choice limited and there were no special offers. At Vision Express in the UK, they will give you 2 for 1, free eye tests etc.

I just want a prescription. Do you think they would just allow that? I intend to order my eyeglasses from an online website which is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than what you have to pay here. (I checked out reviews that say they are pretty good) Min 60K ft for a pair of glasses that I'm going to wear for a couple of hours a day is just ridiculously expensive.

momotaro wrote:

I just want a prescription. Do you think they would just allow that? I intend to order my eyeglasses from an online website which is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than what you have to pay here. (I checked out reviews that say they are pretty good) Min 60K ft for a pair of glasses that I'm going to wear for a couple of hours a day is just ridiculously expensive.

If it's reading glasses, you should be able to just buy them off the shelf. If it's distance or something complicated, then you can try the online sites. I bought some protective bifocal glasses (impact resistant plastic lenses, "wings" for side protection etc) for my welding activities. They were just fine and about 1/4 the cost of shop pairs. The price even included postage from the UK and they arrived very quickly. I've still got them and use them regularly.

You should be able to just get a prescription by paying for the test and then use that online to get the prescription from somewhere else. If you feel like bluffing, do the test, get the prescription and then say you'll have to come back as you don't have time to look further....but I think you can get the test without the glasses.

I'm short sighted. I wear contact lens most of the time, but I wear glasses an hour or two each night before I go to bed. Without any aid I'd be practically blind. :) My old pair broke.

Thanks for the feedback though,there's one Vision express in my district, maybe I'd try them out.

momotaro wrote:

.....My old pair broke..

Don't do what I did when my glasses broke in Egypt. I went to the souk (bazaar) and found a guy who said he would try and repair them. Sure enough he took the lenses out and put them in another frame. I wasn't quite sure and after a time I started to find things a bit strange. I just put it down to my eyes changing and after about a year I went to an optician. He said the lenses were not in the right frames and in fact, the lenses were in the wrong place relative to my eyeballs. He was surprised I could see anything out of them. When I finally got pair of goggles - in correct new frame - it was like a revelation, the clarity etc! I'd forgotten what everything looked like. Like HD TV....

fluffy2560 wrote:
momotaro wrote:

.....My old pair broke..

Don't do what I did when my glasses broke in Egypt. I went to the souk (bazaar) and found a guy who said he would try and repair them. Sure enough he took the lenses out and put them in another frame. I wasn't quite sure and after a time I started to find things a bit strange. I just put it down to my eyes changing and after about a year I went to an optician. He said the lenses were not in the right frames and in fact, the lenses were in the wrong place relative to my eyeballs. He was surprised I could see anything out of them. When I finally got pair of goggles - in correct new frame - it was like a revelation, the clarity etc! I'd forgotten what everything looked like. Like HD TV....

:D I did contemplate on doing just that... lol luckily I didn't. If you order your glasses online it's compulsory to provide the measurements of your Pupillary distance (distance between your 2 pupils) so they can make your glasses aligned with the pupil of your eyes. After reading your story, now I understand why it is so important. :)

momotaro wrote:

.....If you order your glasses online it's compulsory to provide the measurements of your Pupillary distance (distance between your 2 pupils) so they can make your glasses aligned with the pupil of your eyes. After reading your story, now I understand why it is so important. :)

Yes, exactly. This is not what my Egyptian glasses "engineer" did. Got it completely wrong. My mistake!

You have to be an MD with dozens of years of education to make eye exams and give out prescriptions, I would expect a large percentage of such people to speak English.
Just do a search, and start calling them:

http://www.google.com/search?q=optician+budapest

Make sure to take a printout of the form you must fill out, and insist on the optician providing the units so you can convert the measurements.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c … n+budapest

semmlwies medical center in klinikak M3 metro line