Self employed in Netherlands Tax Questions.

Hello and thank you for your time.

I plan to move to the Netherlands in a few months and register as a self-employed individual living in Amsterdam. I plan to book a tax consultant to advise me details and do also do my returns, but I would like to ask a few preliminary questions please.

A.    Firstly, due to chip shortages, I will probably have to order work computer and parts asap, probably much sooner than November when I plan to permanently move to NL and register as self employed.
Does this mean I will not be able to claim tax, if my hardware purchases as a self-employed individual are done before registering the business ?
As it will cost about 4000 euros to get all my hardware , I definitely want to be able to claim tax back, but I am wondering if this is viable if I order the hardware a few months before I register?
Currently I am living in the UK, which probably complicates things further for claiming tax?

B.    Secondly, what can I expect in terms of annual fees for very simple tax book keeping and filing?
I will probably have 1-2-3 clients a year at first, and maybe 5-10 invoices in total if not less.
Additionally, everything I deliver is digital packages, I do not need to buy/sell physical products or do any sort of trades.
Basically, apart from the invoices and hardware I buy, and obviously licenses I spend money on there`s not much more to declare I reckon.
The "small business" tax consultants I found on expat websites, charge around 600-800 euros a year for 4 VAT forms and 1 end of year income declaration. This to me sounds high for my needs.
Is this the general price I have to expect in the Netherlands for very basic book keeping and forms?

C.    Finally in terms of English speaking tax consultants for self-employed individuals, can anyone recommend some maybe that are smaller/less mainstream?

Thank you so much for your time,
Vick.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm not a tax consultant, but I can tell you that you will be assessed for any tax matter based on where you are "resident", which is generally regarded as where you spend more than 183 days in any tax year.  If you are resident in the UK at the time of your purchases, then any taxation rebates will be assessed by HMRC, whether they will permit claims for your future business, I don't know.

My advice would be to speak to tax consultants on both sides of the Channel.

Almost forgot; the Dutch equivalent of HMRC is the Belastingdienst; you might want to have a chat with them (link).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Well in that case I think it`s settled, I will just move in September, get my BSN reactivated (as I already have one) and I already have an Amsterdam address where I will be living with my fiance` (she is there already) and immediately after that register for business.

If I can ask one clarification, in order for tax claims, I don`t need to have spend 183 days already correct? If I plan to move permanently to NL, then I don`t have to wait for 183 days to pass in order to qualify ?
And secondly, for tax purposes then, do I need to be registered 1st as self employed, or is it enough to have a NL address and BSN number, buy hardware and then register the business in the upcoming 2-3 months ?

Thank you so much for the answer !
Vick.

If only it was that simple.

Brexit has moved the goalposts; assuming you qualify, your fiancee can sponsor you, you go the family visa route and that's you in.  You can then start setting up your business.

This link may help you.  Once you have spoken to them, then speak to a financial/tax advisor in the Netherlands.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

But Cynic, Vic is Romanian, he is just living in the UK from what I understand?

LOL - thanks for the update, then he just follows the link in the 2nd paragraph.

Thank you very much for all the info :)
Yes I am Romanian, so should not be bound to any Brexit aftermath.

I will try and find a tax consultant online and book a 1-2 hour session on advice and iron out all the little tidbits :)
I will also first go and read up on as much info from ​Belastingdienst as possible :)

Finally, if I may one more question. Does 600-800 euros a year seem an appropriate amount to pay a tax company to file 4 vats and an income declaration at the end of the year? Especially considering I would be a very low maintenance client  ...
Or is that a fair estimate of what the cost would be for in NL?

Thank you,
Vick.

The only thing Brexit might be troublesome is when you move from the UK to the mainland with customs depending on how much stuff you have.

With regards to that I have already sent a batch of things such as bikes, kitchen ware, clothes and others through customs when my fiance moved earlier this year.

In essence, everything has to be labeled with a detailed inventory, and any electronic equipment have to be clearly owned for personal use and not for resale, and preferably not look brand spanking new. So my guitar box, and other Pc/monitor boxes, I wrote with permanent marker on the outside of boxes - to clearly indicate that they are personal and will not be re-selled.  It went super smooth :)