Santo domingo flight from Canada

Hello.  I recently departed from Toronto Yyz for Juan Dolio and flight was through Punta Cana which was a two hour drive from my destination. I am not clear about this route. During normal time Ie non covid are there direct flights from Toronto area (or detroit,buffalo, cleveland, rochester) into Santo Domingo which would save about one and a half hours compared to arriving PC? I cant seem to get a straight answer from travel agents, some say yes others no.

I have another question this one about driving in DR.  I want to buy a car to use when staying at theb condo I bought.. It has  enclosed guarded parking area.  I cant get a definitve answer about licensing. Can I use my Canadian drivers or International drivers license in DR. And perhaps more importantly for how a stay will it be valid before requiring a Dominican drivers license which I understand is a bit cumbersome and might even require resident status or cedula. Would it be feasible to hire a local driver once my own license becomes invalid?

Thank you once again to everyone who tales the time to reply!

Since you dont have a car yet, just take a bus to Juan Dolio. They know the way there. On drivers licences, many gringos dont bother at all. Indeed, most cops wont even be able to read yours.   Even if they can, they usually just want some money.

call the dominican embassy im chicago where o call for answers
i ask my ? to not get half answers or lost in translations
i juat spoke to them about recidency
give me a call if needed
**** oscar
we are moving in jan to santo domingo, wife is dominican
god bless

Moderated by Priscilla 2 years ago
Reason : please do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

So first welcome to the forums.

There used to be direct flights from Toronto to Santo Domingo . Who knows if and when they will start up again.

From punta cana to Juan dolio negotiate with a taxi.  There is no bus direct from the airport to Juan dolio!

Drivers license - your  Canadian license is valid for 30 days legally.  After that there is a lot of discussion.  What we know -. Your license is only valid while your tourist card is valid.  Then it's not legal.  To get a Dominican license you need either a work visa or residency!

Many will say oh no one cares you can just pay off the police etc etc!  That may or may not be true and it's certainly not our stand here to recommend breaking the law. 

NOTE - if you get into an accident and your license is not legal your insurance will not pay out.  You will be on the hook.  Serious accident can have serious consequences.  That's just a warning.

Please do not post personal contact information on a public forum.  Use the private message function.  Thanks!

Hello, look for information on this page foreign requirements to have a license in the Dominican Republic.

Can a foreigner drive in the Dominican Republic with a country of origin license

Greetings, I hope, it helps you, and read the most accurate inf

this link below are the requirements to obtain the international license in the Dominican Republic

Thank you
https://internationaldrivingpermit.org/ … a/?lang=es

A couple of things to note.  Whilst the international license is good for one year, it is still only acceptable in the DR for 30 days.  So, no point for an International license for you as the DR accepts a Canadian license.

Now, the visitor VISA can be extended for up to 120 days, planner...does this then apply to the driver's license as well or still just 30 days?

That question is a good one and we cannot get an answer to it. 

The tourist card is 30 days. The extension is still an administrative work around.  Does it validate and extend the license to up to 120 days?  No one will say with certainty one way or another and no one will say if insurance companies can use as a loophole!

And I agree the above link is to get an international license which again is NOT a Dominican license!

Thank you for replies.

Yes I will follow the suggested link for more information. Thanks!

I kind of like the freedom of having a car to  go where and when I want to.  I found taxi prices really expensive. For instance a taxi from New Juan Dolio to Old
Juan Dolio  a distance of about 2 to 2.5 kilometers  was $10US for the trip. I want to go place lots further than that so I think  a small used car could pay for itself financially and in convenience over just a few years time. I suppose the taxi guys spotted the gringo from a couple of miles down the road. Ten US is what I would pay in Toronto where car and gas price are comparable to Dominican but wages are 5 or 6 times higher and a taxi plate costs 100K last i looked.

It was suggested to drive without license. Thanks but that is not for me.
I won't drive uninsured anywhere.  For the sake of saving a few hundred or maybe a thousand I am exposed to a potentially catastrophic loss. I will not take the risk  of loosing everything I have worked so long and hard for, or spending my retirement in a Dominican jail when I can buy my way out of the risk for a relatively small amount.  Frankly I think doing so would be  among  the very worst decisions  I would ever make.

I rented a scooter last visit. It was fine for me for short trips but would be really uncomfortable on longer journeys like Boca Chica or Santo Domingo. Cant see my kids driving one at all even in Juan Dolio where following traffic rules seems optional and local scooter drivers apparently have a death wish.

It is nice to know definitively that 30 days is max to drive on non dominican license. Maybe I will pay someone to cart me around after time expires. Might consider a scooter. Getting residency to obtain a license seem difficult and time consuming.

I will have to keep on digging around for direct flight information from Toronto area to Santo Domingo. I agree, from what I see nobody seems to know when or if it will happen.

So far I have been asking questions in the forums. The answers are really informative. I am fortunate to have found this site.  I look forward to the day, hopefully soon when I can contribute answers  to the forum and thereby help others in the same generous ways that I have been helped.

Glad we are  helping!   Taxi rates are almost always negotiable. When you can find someone   and negotiate with the understanding you will call them first when you need a driver!  that will help!

Hello planner,

Do you recall approximately when that last flight would have been?  I am hoping around the begnning of covid. Thank you.

jdah411 wrote:

Thank you for replies.

Yes I will follow the suggested link for more information. Thanks!

I kind of like the freedom of having a car to  go where and when I want to.  I found taxi prices really expensive. For instance a taxi from New Juan Dolio to Old
Juan Dolio  a distance of about 2 to 2.5 kilometers  was $10US for the trip. I want to go place lots further than that so I think  a small used car could pay for itself financially and in convenience over just a few years time. I suppose the taxi guys spotted the gringo from a couple of miles down the road. Ten US is what I would pay in Toronto where car and gas price are comparable to Dominican but wages are 5 or 6 times higher and a taxi plate costs 100K last i looked.

It was suggested to drive without license. Thanks but that is not for me.
I won't drive uninsured anywhere.  For the sake of saving a few hundred or maybe a thousand I am exposed to a potentially catastrophic loss. I will not take the risk  of loosing everything I have worked so long and hard for, or spending my retirement in a Dominican jail when I can buy my way out of the risk for a relatively small amount.  Frankly I think doing so would be  among  the very worst decisions  I would ever make.

I rented a scooter last visit. It was fine for me for short trips but would be really uncomfortable on longer journeys like Boca Chica or Santo Domingo. Cant see my kids driving one at all even in Juan Dolio where following traffic rules seems optional and local scooter drivers apparently have a death wish.

It is nice to know definitively that 30 days is max to drive on non dominican license. Maybe I will pay someone to cart me around after time expires. Might consider a scooter. Getting residency to obtain a license seem difficult and time consuming.

I will have to keep on digging around for direct flight information from Toronto area to Santo Domingo. I agree, from what I see nobody seems to know when or if it will happen.

So far I have been asking questions in the forums. The answers are really informative. I am fortunate to have found this site.  I look forward to the day, hopefully soon when I can contribute answers  to the forum and thereby help others in the same generous ways that I have been helped.

That 30 days you mention.... can be extended by 90 more to keep you legal
Study up on that here.....
For sure 90 days license validity

Willie please  show me sources on that  statement.  My lawyers cannot even agree on it.

Thanks

In terms of the last flight,  my guess is it was before Covid!  I've not seen any direct flights since. Mind you I have not been looking for them either.

There are Many flights and very inexpensive from Detroit DTW ..to Santo Domingo SDQ..with Spirit Air....then taxi to Juan Dolio for 1200 pesos....I do it all the time

I thought the border was closed ???

I think they are getting ready to open in both directions.  Not positive on dates though

planner wrote:

Willie please  show me sources on that  statement.  My lawyers cannot even agree on it.

Thanks

In terms of the last flight,  my guess is it was before Covid!  I've not seen any direct flights since. Mind you I have not been looking for them either.

It's so long ago - I forget but I remember (from an insurance company?) reading that after 60-90 days any foreign license becomes invalid.

I doubt it's 'law' per se.... just an operating procedure

Ok so that is entirely up for discussion and guess what insurance companies will do?  Yup, whatever is good for them.

Tjankyou very much. Detroit to Sdq sounds perfect. And 1500 pesos from airport to Juan Dolio is very reasonable.
price to for the ride considering taxi's wanted 10 US for 2k ride from New to Old Juan Dolio.

Oops meant 1200 pesos,even better.

The 1200 pesos from SD Las America airport to Juan Dolio is with uber...not the taxis

Thanks again. I will remember that.

NEWS FLASH

Starting December 16th, Air Canada will connect its hub at Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ) to Las Américas International Airport (SDQ) in the Dominican Republic. Flights will run twice per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays with the following schedule (all times are local): AC1722 will depart Toronto at 09:05 and arrive in Santo Domingo at 14:25

WillieWeb wrote:

NEWS FLASH

Starting December 16th, Air Canada will connect its hub at Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ) to Las Américas International Airport (SDQ) in the Dominican Republic. Flights will run twice per week on Tuesdays and Thursdays with the following schedule (all times are local): AC1722 will depart Toronto at 09:05 and arrive in Santo Domingo at 14:25

Flights start on December 16th