What is life like for American Expat family in Aberdeen, Scotland?

My family is considering relocating to Aberdeen, Scotland for my husband's job. He is in the oil industry. We have an 8 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. What is life like as an American family with young children living in Aberdeen, Scotland?

We are possibly relocating to Aberdeen also.  We have a baby on the way. Have you taken the position there? How are things going?

In my opinion, Scotland has a lot to offer for any expat (single, family or no children couples), the only downside will be weather, as the history dictates the weather trends and unless you are from Alaska USA or similar climate, you will notice the weather difference.  If you can get yourself over that then you have many many great things to look forward to in Scotland.
Where to live?  Unless you are a City person through and through, get yourself out to the countryside.  You get a whole lot more house and land for your money out here.  Whilst the GB Pound is quite high, if you are in the Oil & Gas Industry you will be paid nicely and can easily accommodate a nice lifestyle here and still make good savings.  I am not sure on the economics if you are still maintaining a home elsewhere?  I am talking this being your main and only residence.  Because you have land with property here, you can become a real 'green' housewife, with a decent grow your own living off the land with things like your daily vegetables, fruits etc. 
Our first winter here in Aberdeenshire has been delightful, it has been the mildest for a long time and even had over a week of 'summer' weather in March!  Extraordinary!  We have photographs of some stunning sun rises and sun sets all from the view from our home and right now, we are helping the local farming with the lambing.  We have a plan to walk the Munros (will attempt one a month) and have our mountain bikes all serviced and ready for enjoying some off road biking.  Arts & Culture scene in Scotland generally is heavily supported, and for Aberdeenshire we have been spoilt with a range of different music gendres from fiddlers to opera, poetry to readings, film nights, book groups etc; the list goes on.
All this is here, but you have to do your homework and get on the internet and do your searches for things to do, places to go. 
For this forum, I will start to look at populating the Guide section of this blog site so you will have some of the links on things to do and places to go.  Also, am thinking of setting up a meeting group for expats in Aberdeen.  Watch this space, but more importantly, submit your posts when prompted on these matters.  I will set up a new topic for this, so please, interact and participate as that the only way things can happen.

Personally, we LOVE Aberdeen, for us there is lots to do and we found it very easy relocating here from Saudi Arabia with the removal company (we used Doree Boner International), cleaning company to get the house ready, we live rurally so not everyone delivers to us, but we have still managed to get supplies without any difficulty.  Aberdeen Council offers a lot of things to do for (Adventure Aberdeen) is a great example of getting an outdoor experience.  So, watch this blog for new beginnings and opportunities.

Hi there, did you end up moving??  We are thinking of relocating to scottland as well from canada with our 3 kids and dog.  What part of scottland do you live in?  What is better for kids if you know?  Is there kids activities like hockey, soccer, swimming?

kwmsrm wrote:

My family is considering relocating to Aberdeen, Scotland for my husband's job. He is in the oil industry. We have an 8 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. What is life like as an American family with young children living in Aberdeen, Scotland?